Ninja 2011 250R wont stay running without choke after first winterizing - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ninja 2011 250R wont stay running without choke after first winterizing

Re: Ninja 2011 250R wont stay running without choke after first winterizing

Thats what I thought as well...I didnt think I had to drain the bowls and carb for winterizing...perhaps I am doing something wrong..I checked with a buddy whos also a rider and he says he never drains the carbs.

jedninja, a correction to your procedure. Do not add Stabil to a full tank of gas. You should add Stabil or any fuel conditioner when the tank is just near empty (give or take), preferably at the gas station.
    Fill the tank so the Stabil can mix properly then go and take it for a ride. Adding Stabil to a full tank of gas will not be much good as your ride likely just ran through regular unmixed fuel as the Stabil was mixed at the top of the tank. My call is that your carbs are partially gummed up.

I left my bike with the carb bowls full this winter and had no issues (also a Ninja 250)
    Ignorance is heading off without knowing the dangers involved.
    Stupidity is trying something without knowing what the chance of death is.
    Bravery is going into something knowing if you die its your own fault.
    Adventure is a self determined mix of all three of the above.

Why do you think the dealer doesnt say to drain the float bowls... They want your money in 2-3 years when they are clogged lol.
    You really should drain them it took me less than 30 Seconds to do both carbs....

Maybe that was my mistake...I put stabil in after I filled up the tank...but I did ride it for 10 mins back home from the pump.

Same thing happened to my 2011 ninja 250 when I pulled it out yesterday for the first time this year. It fired up on the 4-5th try, and as long as the choke was on revving the bike at 4-5000 rpm it was ok. I took it out thinking it will go away after a while. Well...it took a few hours and about 300k with a stop at crappy tire for some carb cleaner which I dumped in the tank for me to be able to run the bike without the need for choke.

I stored the bike according to what everyone was saying. Added the stabil on a quarter tank just before I filled up and drove back home about 10k so it had time to run through the lines etc. so I wasn't expecting to have any problems when I pull the bike out again. Now I know to empty the carbs when storing for 3 or more months.

I took a chance riding a bike with a problem taking a chance it won't stall on me, but I had my cell and was out with a buddy and stayed around the city. The problem has fixed itself without me having to service it (clean the carbs)
    To ride or not to ride…THAT is a stupid question !!

Sorry for stealing the thread... but should I do the same on my 2011? Days like yesterday that was warmer I only need 3/4 of choke on the first few minutes, after it warmed up I don't have to worry. But on colder days I need to leave it run for about 3-4 minutes with the choke full on until it warms up.

Guys every year we go through this. It has little to do with how you store your bike. I stabil all of them. I have drained bowls and left them full of stabiled fuel. IT IS A PROBLEM WITH THIS BIKE. I have already cleaned out a half dozen. Only real fix is one size bigger pilot jets. Getto fix is shimming the slide needle.

Ok guys an update...so I tried Motul fuel clean as well and that did not resolve the issue. Kneedragger I have sent you a p.m

Quote Originally Posted by jedininja View Post
    Ok guys an update...so I tried Motul fuel clean as well and that did not resolve the issue. Kneedragger I have sent you a p.m

Did you go through the whole tank of gas? I used this and the bike started running good only by the time I had less than a quarter tank. I put about 350kms with the choke on half way... now day 2 and I don't need to use the choke at all.
    To ride or not to ride…THAT is a stupid question !!

Quote Originally Posted by W8INLINE View Post
    Did you go through the whole tank of gas? I used this and the bike started running good only by the time I had less than a quarter tank. I put about 350kms with the choke on half way... now day 2 and I don't need to use the choke at all.
    this...fill it up and go ride. It should be fine after a decent amount of gas has run through there.

No i didnt do that I filled it up with the motul fuel clean and let it run for like 5 mins or so in my driveway...I will try riding it today.

I will add that I do not use the regular red coloured Stabil, I use the marine version (dark blue green colour) as I read somewhere it is a better formulation. So far 2 seasons have gone by with no issues starting the bike come spring. That being said though, I ride into late November before storing the bike and pull it out in March/April.
    The longer the bike sits the greater the chances of clogged carbs as the jets are small.
    Typically in the cool weather, I will start the bike let it warm up 1 - 2 minutes(longer if temps are less than 5C) bring the idle to 1700 - 2000 rpm and ride away. I turn the choke off after a few lights (2 kms or so) and all is good.
    Ignorance is heading off without knowing the dangers involved.
    Stupidity is trying something without knowing what the chance of death is.
    Bravery is going into something knowing if you die its your own fault.
    Adventure is a self determined mix of all three of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    Guys every year we go through this. It has little to do with how you store your bike. I stabil all of them. I have drained bowls and left them full of stabiled fuel. IT IS A PROBLEM WITH THIS BIKE. I have already cleaned out a half dozen. Only real fix is one size bigger pilot jets.
    how much would something like that cost?

what are the adverse affects of going up a size?

Hey guys got an update..so I got the bike started now with motul fuel system clean...I took it out for a ride and it seems to be starting up ok..what I did notice was that sometimes when shifting from neutral to first gear the bike shuts off and also when turning the throttle there was a lag as in the RPM would not go up right away...almost like a delay or something...the good news is that the bike is starting up. Any idea what might be causing the throttle delay?

Quote Originally Posted by iFly55 View Post
    how much would something like that cost?

what are the adverse affects of going up a size?
    Marginally worse fuel economy, and a bike that is technically no longer emissions compliant (though pretty much nobody cares).
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by jedininja View Post
    Hey guys got an update..so I got the bike started now with motul fuel system clean...I took it out for a ride and it seems to be starting up ok..what I did notice was that sometimes when shifting from neutral to first gear the bike shuts off and also when turning the throttle there was a lag as in the RPM would not go up right away...almost like a delay or something...the good news is that the bike is starting up. Any idea what might be causing the throttle delay?
    maybe some bad gas still floating around, empty out as much gas as you can, and go fill up with some fresh stuff, and take another ride ?

not that you have to but did you use any gas line antifreeze in the tank of gas you currently have, this stuff not only disperses water, but it will eat away at any gas that has turned to shellac.

but it sounds as though it's getting better for you....
    Last edited by GateKeeper; 03-20-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    1983 Suzuki GS750E - Rebuild Project

Yeah I think I will try riding it for longer to see how it goes...will let you all know

Use a can of seafoam while you're at it. Your bike with smoke up, but don't be alarmed.
    2007 Solar Yellow EX500

Im still having issues with the throttle play and the bike shutting off when going from neutral to 1st gear so Im going to get it checked out by a mechanic...hopefully it wont be an expensive repair. Do you guys think it might have something to do with the pilot jet still being clogged? the bike starts up fine now without choke needed.

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    Guys every year we go through this. It has little to do with how you store your bike. I stabil all of them. I have drained bowls and left them full of stabiled fuel. IT IS A PROBLEM WITH THIS BIKE. I have already cleaned out a half dozen. Only real fix is one size bigger pilot jets. Getto fix is shimming the slide needle.
    Agreed! Neutral into first bike shutting off .... You have to let you bike warm up! start on full choke warm up at half - play with it as needed and let it warm up nicely as long as it takes. Choke off only when the bike can run nicely - then off you go. I ride a bandit 600 notorious for small pilot jets and long warm-ups. Throttle delay? Let her warm-up.
    eat - sleep - work - RIDE ...

www.owenseyepiece.blogspot.com