Newtonville

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newtonville

Newtonville

Does anyone know what the deal is with dirtbike riding (green or blue plate) in Newtonville? Is it like Raglan Pits - totally off limit?

I keep hearing from many people that there is decent riding to be had in Newtonville, but everyone seems to think it's technically illegal (even though it's apparently quite popular and rarely trespassing tickets are issued).

I also spoke to someone who's been ATVing there all winter, and never once had a problem.

Anyone have info about this riding area?

Anyone want to take a ride there this weekend to do a recon-mission???
    Last edited by Xhumeka; 03-15-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    My Adventures in Dirt : http://www.youtube.com/xhumeka

Re: Newtonville

I usually ride there early in the season because Ganny is not open till May.That being said I dont think its legal to ride there but I have never seen or heard about anyone getting a fine.This time of year it should be ok to ride on the flats,but any trail in the valley or lower sections will be very muddy.I think its still to early to ride even there.
    2010 KTM 300 XC W __________________March 22/11 Rest in peace Dad

So does anyone know?
    I've been to Newtonville a few times with my GF and her green plated dirtbike, we assumed it was legal.

Who owns the land?

A 3wheeler buddy of mine wrote this in another forum:

Quote Originally Posted by Jason125m View Post
    Don't go to raglan... That place is police city. They said will will be heavily monitoring it this year. As for newtonville, its only muddy in the low lieing areas which are mostly on the east end. To the north it is fairly high and it stays pretty dry. Newtonville is a great place to ride for any type of riding. You can go as far south as lake ontario and there are lots of trails down there. I've ridden along the shores of the lake for miles and miles. I've also seen quite a few trikes there. I have no clue how far east it goes, I went about 4 hours one way and it was still going. There is tons of steeeeeeep hillclimbs too, but if you don"t have some good aggressive tires, you'll slide all the way down. Don't ask me how I know. Only downside, tons of dirtbikers flyin all over the place, no one cares in there. Sorry I missed this thread B.J. I would of taken you around with the x. Next time!! I go there more than ganny because it is closer, and free and you don't need insurance or anything to ride in there, so I could take the x there before I had insurance.

Jason.
    I'm still pretty sure it's an illegal riding area... I think he said he "doesn't need insurance" because no one checks for it - not because it's private land.

But again, it doesn't seem like many (if any) police patrols take place.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhumeka View Post
    A 3wheeler buddy of mine wrote this in another forum:

I'm still pretty sure it's an illegal riding area... I think he said he "doesn't need insurance" because no one checks for it - not because it's private land.

But again, it doesn't seem like many (if any) police patrols take place.

I am still under the impression that it is LEGAL to ride there, with registered green plates and of course with liability insurance. I've only been there a few times though, never seen any patrols or anything like that.

I've been there a lot, like 30+ times, never seen a cop or heard about any kind of enforcement.

im there pretty much 2-3 times a week, it is privately owned property owned by Cameco corporation of port hope. I have seen OPP in the a twice, just checking paper work. I was told by the OPP if the owners dont really care that people are riding there. Although if your out starting fires and dumping garbage someone will call the cops, as they should.

During the weekdays, its very very quiet there, you can get out to the beach, ride some sand dunes, bush trails or some insane jumps.. you can ride all day long and never hit the same trail. Some trails will take you to the edges of farmers fields. Stay off the fields and you will be ok. Dont rip down the gravel roads and you will be ok.

Right now its very dry out there, barley any mud at all. all the ruts have dried up..

If anyone is going to head out there, let me know i will tag along on my raptor and show you some trails around the place.

also have some videos of me just riding around through the trails, they are long. but you will get the idea of how some of them are..

http://www.youtube.com/user/sighless...e=results_main

sub'ing

i just read on another forum that newtonville had some opp out there this weekend and they were just telling people that it would be shut down soon if they continued to have bon fires and ump garbage there.. apparently some guys on dirtbikes went screaming past the opp on the road while the cops were talking with people..

some people just like making the whole community look irresponsible.

I can't understand why people would start fires and dump garbage there. Really ridiculous. Can anyone point out where a good entrance to Newtonville is. Would it be suitable for a large bike like a KLR?

Quote Originally Posted by acernec View Post
    I can't understand why people would start fires and dump garbage there. Really ridiculous. Can anyone point out where a good entrance to Newtonville is. Would it be suitable for a large bike like a KLR?
    This will get you in there nicely. There are a variety of trails etc... you should be able to have plenty of fun with your KLR

Now don't go littering and burning things.

http://g.co/maps/6vsy2

if nayone is going out there this weekend, i may head out saturday morning.. early though.. 9am or so.. that way i can get a ride in before all the idiots show up in the afternoon..

That is awesome. Thanks a bunch. I believe in preserving what this country has given to us so I won't be littering or burning things . Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    This will get you in there nicely. There are a variety of trails etc... you should be able to have plenty of fun with your KLR

Now don't go littering and burning things.

http://g.co/maps/6vsy2

Quote Originally Posted by sighless View Post
    if nayone is going out there this weekend, i may head out saturday morning.. early though.. 9am or so.. that way i can get a ride in before all the idiots show up in the afternoon..
    You're calling at least half the people on this forum idiots(joke)
    2010 KTM 300 XC W __________________March 22/11 Rest in peace Dad

Quote Originally Posted by sighless View Post
    If anyone is going to head out there, let me know i will tag along on my raptor and show you some trails around the place.
    The 3wheeler guys I ride with on occasion are considering riding there this Saturday - is it the type of place that has trails for miles and miles that you can explore all day (like the Ganny) or is it more similar to Raglan Pits where there are a few fun areas to play, but you'll be hanging out in the same general area all day.

Although it's a "trike" gathering, we ride with bikes and quads as well (I myself still haven't decided if I'm going to be riding the bike, the trike, or the quad) - so if anyone is interested in joining us this Saturday feel free. I'm hoping sighless is available though, so he can show us the "good spots" and act as our tour guide
    Last edited by Xhumeka; 05-01-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Im sorry guys i cant make it this weekend, im working some overtime.. and now that im looking at my schedule im working each weekend in may... im open all june for weekends.. i know most of you probably work mon-fri.. but im on shift work rotating days all month..

Quote Originally Posted by Xhumeka View Post
    The 3wheeler guys I ride with on occasion are considering riding there this Saturday - is it the type of place that has trails for miles and miles that you can explore all day (like the Ganny) or is it more similar to Raglan Pits where there are a few fun areas to play, but you'll be hanging out in the same general area all day.
    You can spend the day riding the same spots, or you can explore the trails, alot of them will lead back close the same spot, but each trail is different i find new ones every time im out there. theres some in the bush on the north side that seem like they just keep going and going and dont end.. and theres some that you'll find after a few minutes your back out in the centre clearing again..

i personally like the trails on the south side that run near the train tracks and the ones on the far east end in the bush.. just watch for steep hill climbs and drop offs if your not familiar with the area. there is some wicked hill climbing spots here too if you follow the main road in all the way to the end.. may not want to drive the truck all the way.. you have to go through a sand put that has a bunch of bike jumps, just continue that trail on the other side and about 2 mins later you'll find another pit with more hill climbs.

Well, looks like one of my original questions about Newtonville was answered in this thread:

http://www.mudhole.ca/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=19620

Well boys looks like Newtonville is going to get closed up by OPP. I was there on sunday with a couple of guys and when we rode back in from the ride at 2pm there was an OPP guy taking all plate # from trucks and trailers including bikes. The officer talk to everyone one by one and he was saying that the power company and the municipality gave them a letter to go and start ticketing anyone riding on their property. So looks like its the end of Newtonville just like Ragland. And ofcourse there had to be some stupid stiffs that were riding their drit bikes like idiots right next to the rode where he was. He was saying that the municipality was sick of all the trash that was left on the site and the power company was worried about the bomb fires that were happening under the lines. So looks like once again A few JERK'S ruined it for all of us.
    I have a high level of confidence in the source, so I'm pretty sure it's accurate. I always did find it hard to believe that this was a "legal" riding area.

With this new knowledge it is impractical to organize a riding event here, so forget about plans for riding this weekend

Thats the same quote i saw a week or so ago.. the original thread is on atvcanada.ca... its reliable...

Is it really owned by Cameco Corp? Someone should make a proposal to them to turn it into another 'Ganny' with police patrols etc. Anything that will generate a revenue for a company in these times cannot be overlooked!