Thoughts on The Misfit by Cleveland Cyclewerks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on The Misfit by Cleveland Cyclewerks

Thoughts on The Misfit by Cleveland Cyclewerks

I just got my M1 and was looking for beginner bikes when I came accross The Misfit by Cleveland Cyclewerks. Apparently Motoretta on college will be selling them this season. Its a 250cc retro-style (cafe racer) custom for a MRSP of $3,125. The price looks good to me for a new 250 and the styling is a bonus so I'm giving this some serious thought. But I know absolutely nothing about this bike.

Does anyone know about The Misfit or Cleveland Cyclewerks? I'm afraid that this might be a bike thats all look and no go. I need something that I'll eventually be able to take on the highway for 1 hour trips. Is it a good idea to get a bike like this for starting out or should I be sticking to the Ninja 250s?

http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/bikes/

Re: Thoughts on The Misfit by Cleveland Cyclewerks

Made in China. You're better off spending a bit more for the Suzuki TU250X.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...rn-motorcycle/

Need a subscription to read it. The bottom line of the review: bike is awesome.

I saw one in person, looked cheaply made. If your looking for a bike like that I would go with the TU like RetroGrouch suggested or stick with the Ninja.

Peterborough, or just where ever the road takes me

that bike looks sweet!
    Not wearing gear while riding is like unprotected sex. Sooner or later you're going to get a rash!

They were at December show. The sales guys were raving how this bike has all the features for such a low price, etc etc. It did look rather cheaply made, and I really hope it won't die as quickly as its Hyosung mates.

Sounds like there's some easy mods for it, but power is only slightly better than a CBR125. I don't see hour long highway rides being very practical. Being the only bike that you actually need to count on for long highway rides, I don't think it's a good idea.

I really like it though and I'm having a hard time trying to repress my impulse buy urge.
    Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

Its got a Chinese, Lifan single cylinder thumper with 14bhp. I think thats fine if you just want to ride around the city but for 1 hour highway drives, It won't be fun and you might have some problems keeping up with traffic on the highway. If you only plan on doing that once and a while then maybe its worth a shot.

For the price and conceptually, I think the bike is pretty cool and a good alternative to the sporty 250's. Those side mirrors need to go though!

If only we could get the 200 Duke (or a future 250 Duke):
    http://www.ktm.com/naked-bike/200-du...ighlights.html

Looks cool. But the LIFAN engine is a deal breaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT

Quote Originally Posted by toshison View Post
    Its got a Chinese, Lifan single cylinder thumper with 14bhp. I think thats fine if you just want to ride around the city but for 1 hour highway drives, It won't be fun and you might have some problems keeping up with traffic on the highway. If you only plan on doing that once and a while then maybe its worth a shot.

For the price and conceptually, I think the bike is pretty cool and a good alternative to the sporty 250's. Those side mirrors need to go though!

If only we could get the 200 Duke (or a future 250 Duke):
    http://www.ktm.com/naked-bike/200-du...ighlights.html
    I know it's a little off-topic, but why is it we don't get the Duke? I would love that bike.

the resale value will be next to nothing, you would have a hard time unloading it if you decide you don't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixel View Post
    I know it's a little off-topic, but why is it we don't get the Duke? I would love that bike.
    I think its just because KTM don't think it would sell well in Canada. That's why we didn't get the Duke 125. The Duke 200 is for India. There is some Internet chatter that they will come out with a 250 Duke.. I think that should sell quite well if it is priced correctly..

They look cool but for 3grand-ish you have far more reliable options. These no-name brands go as quick as they come...The same dealer pumping it up now will be selling some other junk in less than 2 years. And you won't be able to find parts for it, if you do it'll take an eternity. Just sayin' : )
    It is what it is...

I have a black belt in anger!

Thanks everyone for the great info, all your comments really helped me with thinking about this.

Its a cool looking machine but I'm not sure it will have enough power to do the highway trips and since I'm planning on upgrading to a bigger bike in about 2 seasons it's probably best to stick to the well known 250s for now.

Hey I just want to weigh in on these, I really love the Cleveland Cyclewerks bikes. I do not work for, nor am I affiliated in any way with the company.. but I am considering buying one and have done a bit of *** based research. Here's my take.

The misfit is pretty cool, it's very close to a Honda CB design on the late 70's. The Lifan motor is said to be very reliable, and based on the low maintenance Honda design, but built to CCW's specifications.

I understand that these bikes might not be well suited to the 400 series highway. But if you can take an alternative route, it could still be an option.

I love the look of "tha Heist", another 250CC bike, custom hardtail bobber style. It's intended to be used at a platform to build your own custom.

In 2013, they will be introducing tha Ace and tha Hooligun in Canada and the US; a standard classic style, and a 100% CCW designed SuperMoto. They are also developing larger displacement and liquid cooled engines, making them smog friendly for North America.

These are great beginner bikes and Scott at CCW has really put his heart and soul into bringing us a competitive, affordable, quality product that you can be proud to own and ride. The dealer network is still being established but the support is there for parts and service. GTAm members that live in the GTA are lucky enough to be close to Motoretta, the only place I know of in Ontario to buy CCW!

I would bet money that you'll see a Heist or two cruising the downtown area this summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COoP7PdwzJc

Cleveland Cyclewerks Ace on the Dirt Track kicking butt!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    The Lifan motor is said to be very reliable
    Can you elaborate on this statement? Any reviews?

Sure, I'll offer what I can! Any amount of websearching for CCW and you'll inevitably find "Gardo" an early adopter and CCW fanboy. He has put plenty of miles on his modified Heist and is always making more youtube videos and leaving reviews around the web.

Here is a link to his youtube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/drgnriderx?feature=mhee

And his website:
    http://www.ccwthariders.com/

3 weeks ago he left this post over at Two Wheel Tuesday..
    "Interesting comments on the CCW bikes. As a CCW tha Heist rider I picked up my Heist last year #115 off the production line and the first bike registered in the NJ/NY/CT/PA area.

I picked up my Heist April 2011 and as stated I now have more than 11000 miles on my lil pony. She carries me to work when the weather permits 50 miles round trip into Manhattan, NYC. Much longer rides on the weekend. It was not unheard of that I would do 300 miles in a day. Now in saying that, my bike has evolved over the past year. Playing with seat suspension, performance increases and styling. I have worked with www.Weaverrides.com to hone these mods and they have been applied to a number of other CCW bikes.

Now its a great commuter, bar hopper, and cruiser but more often than not its the rider that can pull out the best from the machine.
    I rode my Heist down to Daytona,FL and back home to Jersey. Since coming home I have put another 300 miles on the bike this week. Its about regular maintenance I believe that has kept my scoot running so well.

I have dedicated a youtube channel to my scoot as well as creating a public forum to educate other riders on the CCW bikes and share their experiences as well. I think that CCW has something here with a small displacement bike that looks good, rides well, and is easy to mod and wrench for a great price.

~Gardo"

Reading posts like these, and seeing what Scott Colisimo has done with the company, really inspires me to get my hands on one of these cool and affordable bikes.

And in case you're wondering about size, well tha Heist is actually LARGER than a Harley Davidson Sportster 883. So it's not a little kiddie bike!!

-Kuma

Here is a link to the Lifan Group's Wikipedia entry, it's a rather large company at this point. They export everything from small gas engines to large transport trucks.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifan_Group

They're neat looking bikes and CCW did their best to provide a bike with a decent cost/quality ratio. You do have to think about what your priorities are for a first bike. Will you think of upgrading in a year? Others have already mentioned that you'll likely lose quite a bit of value after one year and have a bit of a hard time unloading it. If you love its looks and want something other than a scooter for more spirited rides about town, perhaps plan on keeping it for a bit; then jump on it! If you like Cafe looks and plan to upgrade as your confidence grows, I'd recommend a second-hand Ninja 250 for the same or less and moving up to an older CB or a newer Kawasaki Zephyr and going from there to mod either bike to a cafe stance.

Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy the heck out of the ride