Tips on staying upright Pt 1

Thread: Tips on staying upright Pt 1

Tips on staying upright Pt 1

As we get the rust out...
    Watch vehicle drivers habits/distractions as they travel from intersection to intersection to determine their habits, i.e. lane changer from light to light, 1st off the line, cell phone talker/texter (don't usually signal anything), arm waving talkers, heavy bass on Stereo, thump, thump, couldn't hear you anyway. Provide extra space around the above when you identify them.

Vary your speed, when around other cars, so you should move ahead or behind them constantly, so they are reminded of your presence by your changes in position.

Try to avoid steady riding anywhere behind the vehicles front doors to 5 feet behind the rear bumper, (still allows them to move over, but very close for your comfort if it occurs), if ahead of the front doors, they may see/hear you.

When approaching an intersection with someone turning right from the cross street into your lane or crossing your path in an opposing left turn, weave the bike a little within your lane to again bring attention, as some drivers look for cars and don't register bikes so when you weave, the headlight movement may catch their attention and may delay them from proceeding into your path.

Allow vehicles space, even in adjacent lanes, as most drivers follow too close, so when they have to stop suddenly, in the lane next to you, to avoid another vehicle in front, guess where they try to escape? Into your lane, even if you move over in your lane away from the vehicles, you buy space and time.

Generally most drivers I find are reasonable, but when it comes to stop signs, the definition of "stop" has been redefined to "quick glance and roll through", At a 4 way Stop sign intersection, if in doubt, you are better to yield than try to contest, flick of the helmet or wave through with glove helps remind the driver acts of courtesy are still around.

When approaching intersections, watch your back, again watching the driving habits of vehicles you have passed helps determine attentiveness of the driver as noted above. If the light changes, can they stop, if you hear tires screeching behind you and the light is still yellow .......quick glance in all directions and move out of the way.

Some ideas I have put in practice. Other posts to come.

Comments?

Re: Tips on staying upright Pt 1

Excellent. +10

I have been trying to think my way through the most common multi-vehicle accident situation: left hand turning car into motorcycle going straight.

I drive in the right hand lane as often as possible - I am not a fast driver. I have been trying to jockey my position so that I am not "hiding" behind a car in the left lane when entering an intersection, so that I am as visible as possible to the oncoming "left-hand-turner".

On the other hand, I have read that people prefer that same position that I have been trying to avoid, and replace the word "hiding" with "shielding".

Just food for thought, and I would love to hear other people's opinions on this one.

it's like capture the flag...and you are the flag...

If this is for Noobs.....don't ride tired...don't ride when you're angry.....don't ride when you're upset. You need to be thinking about the road, not other distractions.

I think both are correct. it depends on timing and you have to stay alert to the situation. if you can time it to put the car in the inside lane between you and the car turing left into the direction you are going, you have an effective shield. but if you day dream for a second or two and fall behind, that shield just blocked the turner's view and you need to be very alert to see if the turner is about to cut you off. i ride inside lane too and if i dont have a sure blocker/shield at any particular intersection, i drop back a bit so that the turner sees me.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
    Excellent. +10

I have been trying to think my way through the most common multi-vehicle accident situation: left hand turning car into motorcycle going straight.

I drive in the right hand lane as often as possible - I am not a fast driver. I have been trying to jockey my position so that I am not "hiding" behind a car in the left lane when entering an intersection, so that I am as visible as possible to the oncoming "left-hand-turner".

On the other hand, I have read that people prefer that same position that I have been trying to avoid, and replace the word "hiding" with "shielding".

Just food for thought, and I would love to hear other people's opinions on this one.

I like to follow a car going through an intersection. Ideally he's in the left lane and I'm in the right about 5 lengths back. Next best would be him in the right lane and I'm back about 5 lengths again (after all he/she might decide to turn at the intersection). If I'm alone I just assume that the turning driver can't see me, so if he starts to roll I'm on the brakes.
    Another tip, especially appropriate at this time of year, is to ride in the car tracks, NOT the center of the lane. Unless you follow so far back that you can see the dead cat the car just straddled you will be in a collision with road debris. All the spare parts, oil, antifreeze, trans fluid etc. also accumulates in the center of the lane which makes it a very slippery place.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticguy View Post
    I think both are correct. it depends on timing and you have to stay alert to the situation. if you can time it to put the car in the inside lane between you and the car turing left into the direction you are going, you have an effective shield. but if you day dream for a second or two and fall behind, that shield just blocked the turner's view and you need to be very alert to see if the turner is about to cut you off. i ride inside lane too and if i dont have a sure blocker/shield at any particular intersection, i drop back a bit so that the turner sees me.
    I don't think I have that kind of timing. I only have 1000 km under my belt. I'm sticking back and letting the other drivers have the best view of me that they can. Maybe when I have a little more experience. Good to hear that I'm not completely off my rocker, though.

As for the crap on the roads: I'm the nerd in the front of the class - wherever they told me to ride in my M1 exit course is where you'll find me. Right tire track in the left lane, or left tire track in the right lane.

To add to the conversation: today a woman decided, while looking straight at me, to turn left onto the same residential street (read 2 lane traffic - 1 one way and 1 the other) as I was turning right . . .

thats fine Charles. i didn't mean to make it sound too complicated. You will have more timing than you think. I too agree in sticking back and making sure other drivers see you. its just that traffic is dynamic and if when you are sticking back, it happens that the guy in the left lane beside you speeds up or slows down so that a car wanting to turn left onto your road to go in your direction may not be able to see you anymore. its then that i meant i would accelerate if possible so that the guy in the left lane can be used as a shield for you as you proceed in your right lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticguy View Post
    thats fine Charles. i didn't mean to make it sound too complicated. You will have more timing than you think. I too agree in sticking back and making sure other drivers see you. its just that traffic is dynamic and if when you are sticking back, it happens that the guy in the left lane beside you speeds up or slows down so that a car wanting to turn left onto your road to go in your direction may not be able to see you anymore. its then that i meant i would accelerate if possible so that the guy in the left lane can be used as a shield for you as you proceed in your right lane.
    That sounds reasonable. Always want a plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by 35yearson View Post

When approaching intersections, watch your back, again watching the driving habits of vehicles you have passed helps determine attentiveness of the driver as noted above. If the light changes, can they stop, if you hear tires screeching behind you and the light is still yellow .......quick glance in all directions and move out of the way.

Comments?

Thats just wayy too freaky. Why not just use hand signals to indicate you are stopping. I've seen bicycle riders do it and it gets my attention every time.I've also seen them do the quick swere behind me so i can see their head light.( My car can literally hide a trailer in its blind spot). some rules that apply to bicycles on street apply to motor cycles too I guess