turning right from middle lane

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: turning right from middle lane

turning right from middle lane

Guys,

Is it legal in Ontario to make a right turn from a middle lane after coming to a full stop? I have seen some people do it.

Cheers

Re: turning right from middle lane

From the common sense angle I would say no.If you are turning left you should be in the left lane and turning right in the right lane.Turning either left or right from the middle lane puts you in danger from other traffic.Unless it is a filtering lane going in either direction.

violates HTA 141 (2)? http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...08_e.htm#BK218

Right turn at intersection

(2) Where a driver or operator of a vehicle intends to turn to the right into an intersecting highway, he or she shall, where the highway on which he or she is driving has marked lanes for traffic, approach the intersection within the right-hand lane or, where it has no such marked lanes, by keeping immediately to the left of the right curb or edge of the roadway and he or she shall make the right turn by entering the right-hand lane of the intersecting highway where the lane is marked or, where no such lane is marked, by keeping immediately to the left of the right curb or edge of the roadway being entered. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (2).

edit: are you talking about something like this: http://i.imgur.com/KfdEv.jpg
    Last edited by iFly55; 03-14-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vex_helix View Post
    Guys,

Is it legal in Ontario to make a right turn from a middle lane after coming to a full stop? I have seen some people do it.

Cheers
    No, it isn't. In fact Toronto Police sit on Yonge northbound and nail people turning from Lakeshore eastbound's centre lane, in the morning, and on the ramp from York south to The Gardiner, in the evening, catching people who are doing the same quite frequently. It can only be done, legally, where the centre lane is also a marked turning lane.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Thanks guys. 141 (2) seems pretty clear.

I once got a lift from an old Polish guy who made left turns by pulling to the right, stopping and when the way was clear, making a left turn, often across four lanes. All turns, he was taught, were made after pulling to the right and then doing your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by iFly55 View Post
    edit: are you talking about something like this: http://i.imgur.com/KfdEv.jpg
    I was wondering about this as the lane is marked to make left and right turns.

If it's marked as being permissible, it's legal. Otherwise, it isn't.

There is a sign ahead of where that Streetview image is shown which defines what's legal - not the pavement markings. Here's the sign explaining what's legal from which lane ... Same intersection as above streetview image, but a little earlier on the ramp.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=highway...263.48,,0,0.19

Regarding "both way turn lanes", what about on a red light?

I see people make right turns from the centre turn lane on reds all the time. Is that legal? I've always been under the impression it wasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by cknowles View Post
    I have a 5 minute ride to work but I can make it home in an hour on a good day

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Only if the lane is signed that way, which is becoming rarer.

I've seen many people turn left from the right lane at Front going onto Bathurst, because they don't want to wait in the left turn lineup.
    I've also seen people turn right from the left lane there.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    No, it isn't. In fact Toronto Police sit on Yonge northbound and nail people turning from Lakeshore eastbound's centre lane, in the morning, and on the ramp from York south to The Gardiner, in the evening, catching people who are doing the same quite frequently. It can only be done, legally, where the centre lane is also a marked turning lane.
    then they should sit at the end of the steeles off-ramp from the 404.
    everyone (and i'm not condoning this) turns right from the lane to the left of the right most lane

View Larger Map
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

The only time I would think it would be ok would be on a highway off ramp. I can't imagine doing it at a normal intersection.
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

I wish I had a dashcam 'cause I see a TTC bus doing it often outside where I work.
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    then they should sit at the end of the steeles off-ramp from the 404.
    everyone (and i'm not condoning this) turns right from the lane to the left of the right most lane

View Larger Map
    That's because it's legal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 404 and steeles.jpg  

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

That's because it's legal.
    Swish!

lets say you were at a red/green light turning right from the middle-lane, 9/10 of Ontario's Finest make wide Right & Left turns

i drew a quick diagram with paint to illustrate this (sorry)

Red car makes wide right turn from N/B to E/B.. results in collision with Blue Car trying to make proper left turn from S/B to E/B

Question: should Blue Car yield to Red Car?

Green car makes wide left turn from N/B to W/B... results in collision with Pink Car trying to make proper right turn from S/B to W/B

and for topic, lets say both E/B lands can make right turn into S/B.. if Brown Car makes wide right like Red car ... results in collision with Baby-Blue car trying to make proper right into S/B
    Last edited by iFly55; 03-20-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iFly55 View Post
    lets say you were at a red/green light turning right from the middle-lane, 9/10 of Ontario's Finest make wide Right & Left turns

i drew a quick diagram with paint to illustrate this (sorry)

Red car makes wide right turn from N/B to E/B.. results in collision with Blue Car trying to make proper left turn from S/B to E/B

Question: should Blue Car yield to Red Car?

Green car makes wide left turn from N/B to W/B... results in collision with Pink Car trying to make proper right turn from S/B to W/B

and for topic, lets say both E/B lands can make right turn into S/B.. if Brown Car makes wide right like Red car ... results in collision with Baby-Blue car trying to make proper right into S/B
    Assuming all solid green.

Blue car must yield to red car, despite red car making an illegal turn. Blue car has a duty to make sure that the way is clear, prior to making his turn.

Green car must yield to pink car, for the same reason stated above.

Or, in my preferred situation (which wouldn't be supported under law), all of the idiots making illegal turns would get hammered for it. They screw with traffic flow and create hazardous situations.

The right on red thing is an interesting question.

Good example is where the HWY 401 WB offramp intersects with Dixie

people make right turns (onto Dixie NB) from the (marked) second-to-right lane on a red all the time

i guess it's fine?

edit: like this guy, http://g.co/maps/x33d6
    Last edited by spd; 03-20-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spd View Post

people make right turns (onto Dixie NB) from the (marked) second-to-right lane on a red all the time

i guess it's fine?

As long as it's safe to do so. If something happens, then it's on the right-on-red guy.

Quote Originally Posted by spd View Post

i guess it's fine?

I don't think it's illegal... it doesn't say anything about lanes....

Exception – turn
    (19) Despite subsection (18 ) and subject to subsection (14), a driver, after stopping his or her vehicle and yielding the right of way to traffic lawfully approaching so closely that to proceed would constitute an immediate hazard, may,
    (a) turn to the right; or
    (b) turn to the left from a one-way street into a one-way street,
    without a green indication being shown. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (19).
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111