Destroyed my clean record. Got a question! - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Destroyed my clean record. Got a question!

Re: Destroyed my clean record. Got a question!

Quote Originally Posted by GayManLoveIsOK View Post
    i would be arguing that the sign is blocked and hard to see (one on the left)...regardless of the sign on the right hand side of the street, it does not give you adequate warning for no left turn, they should have put it before the turn and not "in the intersection" at least that is how i see it...if you have the time and money, i would show up in court and argue it. you have a clean record, if it's an honest mistake, to me it's worth it...no point the city putting signs up that you can't read properly.
    Problem is that it's spring and that tree doesn't have any leaves yet, so the sign is clearly visible (as I discovered post factum)..
    Current: 2003 Suzuki GSX-R1000
    Previous ride: 2005 Yamaha FZ6

Quote Originally Posted by 250R-ICE View Post
    I would fight it and state that the sign is past the intersection and not in advance of the intersection. One could argue that you thought that the sign meant no left turns past the intersection.

If you want to get technical, research the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices and look in the section regarding signage. There may be some guidelines about sign placement spacing, distance from travelled lane, advancements of intersections etc.
    Good point.. The sign says "coming up, there's no left turn"....

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    In most major intersections the signage is on the far side of the intersection (on the traffic light poles, etc...) so I don't think that will fly at all...
    Just because you've seen it before doesn't mean it's legal. Just like all those speed limit signs without KM/H on them are not legal.
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Some insurance companies (I think SF) don't care about the 1st minor ticket. So, whether it shows on your record or not, you may still get the GSXR at a normal rate.

I might be wrong tho =)
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Was the ticket written on a Provincial offences ticket, or was it written on a by-law slip? if its written on a bylaw slip then the required information for this to end up on your abstract is not captured.

The cop wrote you a by-law. You were not charged under the highway traffic act. You can fight it if you want, however you already got off easy.

The hta charge is $110 and 2 points.

Call a different SF agent and find out

I drive down this road every day. Never once noticed those time restriction signs until now.

I assume you use Aberdeen to get to the 403? If so, another shortcut is to go through the intersection (the backup is usually only in the left turn lane) and make a left on Stanely and then take either Kent or Locke back up to Aberdeen.
    Quote Originally Posted by cknowles View Post
    I have a 5 minute ride to work but I can make it home in an hour on a good day

Quote Originally Posted by vkhamphi View Post
    You can call MTO if you want but I'm pretty sure the by-law offence does nothing to your driver's abstract.
    Like iFly55 said: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_940339_e.htm

Look at #29 in the chart. It can.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Just because you've seen it before doesn't mean it's legal. Just like all those speed limit signs without KM/H on them are not legal.
    Are you trying to say that all those "No Right on Red", "No Left Turn", "Lane Directions" that are hung on the far side of almost ALL intersections are all not legal.... Highly Doubtfull....
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

If you're with State Farm then they allow for 1 minor ticket so it wouldn't affect you whatsoever.

Now, I know normally you fight every ticket but in this case you may want to pay for this one asap for the following reason: If you have a clean record, and your insurance policy has a 3 year "past record" for convictions then you can take it now and get it out of the way earlier, in the event that you get a second ticket within the next 3 years. If you do, you can just fight that one until it's past your 3 year date and your insurance will never hike.

Of course you can always just fight and win as well. Just something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post

I stated before there might be demerits attached but the OP is worried about insurance for a future supersport but demerits means nothing if there isn't a moving violation attached. Hamilton may be different but the way it is handled in Toronto is that the by-law offence is not submitted to the Province because they couldn't agree on who gets the big share of the penalty dollars so Toronto decided to keep all the revenue and does not submit the offence.

Nvm
    Last edited by matt123; 03-15-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Personally I would pay my paralegal to fight it for me, it will cost a little more then the fine amount for him to fight it, but also %90 hes going to have it withdrawn not reduced...And I dont have to take the day off work to go to court...I fight all tickets, no matter how small or large..And %90 of them get withdrawn

X ---- > I'm Not here, But I'm there ---> X

Give MTO a call

416 235 1086

and ask them..they should be able to tell you if it will be on it or not...

Like I mentioned earlier I would fight it on the grounds that the sign is clearly past the intersection. At most large intersections these signs are placed on the traffic signal arms at the far side of the intersection. But they are still clearly within the intersection limits. The sign in your case was placed on a hydro pole that is definately past the intersection. Therefore one could agure that the sign meant no left turns ahead. It's the Municipalities responsibility to ensure correct placement of the sign. In this case they were either reluctant to place the sign with it's own post in the appropraite location or were trying to save money by making use of an existing hydro pole that was located past the intersection. They probably figured no one would challenge them.

I wouldn't be surprised if you fight this and win based on the placement location. That the Municipality comes back and relocates that sign.

Bottom line I would fight this, what do you have to lose in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by 250R-ICE View Post
    Like I mentioned earlier I would fight it on the grounds that the sign is clearly past the intersection. At most large intersections these signs are placed on the traffic signal arms at the far side of the intersection. But they are still clearly within the intersection limits. The sign in your case was placed on a hydro pole that is definately past the intersection. Therefore one could agure that the sign meant no left turns ahead. It's the Municipalities responsibility to ensure correct placement of the sign. In this case they were either reluctant to place the sign with it's own post in the appropraite location or were trying to save money by making use of an existing hydro pole that was located past the intersection. They probably figured no one would challenge them.

I wouldn't be surprised if you fight this and win based on the placement location. That the Municipality comes back and relocates that sign.

Bottom line I would fight this, what do you have to lose in this case.
    No way that's gonna work. NO WAY. Based on the google street view alone, THhere's two signs, and the next intersection is too far for the sign to be applicable there. What code or standard do you plan to reference in your defense? You can't just say "it's past the intersection", cuz its a few feet beyond it; there has to be a rule or standard written, which clearly states where the sign can be placed in order for you to use this plan in court.

Your cheapest option is to go to court and pray the cop doesn't show (not likely, he will, it's rumored that they get OT to show up in court). The expensive option is to get a lawyer; make sure you tell him that a "win" is defined as NO charge, or withdrawn charge, not just a reduction.

Lol, guys, all I want is to get the GSXR750 with the negotiated with the boss (read 'wife') insurance premium! At least for the first year! So, I'm "fighting" the ticket by stating "not guilty". After the Gixxer is in my garage, I'm turning myself in, haha

ehh...the lengths we need to go for these toys...

Been that way for years, you just got unlucky. Queen St, West 5th, Aberdeen. One ticket shouldn't make a difference.

It's a by-law offence not HTA, won't even appear on your driving record. Pay it or fight it, means nothing to driving record.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post
    This is wrong
    Really? Please explain. OP just posted the by-law infraction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post

Once again, your statement is wrong. I generally wouldn't care or get involved but you are giving pretty bad advice
    Last edited by ZX600; 03-15-2012 at 04:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

I stated before there might be demerits attached but the OP is worried about insurance for a future supersport but demerits means nothing if there isn't a moving violation attached. Hamilton may be different but the way it is handled in Toronto is that the by-law offence is not submitted to the Province because they couldn't agree on who gets the big share of the penalty dollars so Toronto decided to keep all the revenue and does not submit the offence.
    I think you may be confusing this with parking offences, which are indeed municipal. This however is a moving violation, under the HTA, regardless if it occurred in Toronto, Hamilton or anywhere else in Ontario; it will result in demerit points upon conviction and could subsequently affect his premium.