Destroyed my clean record. Got a question!

Thread: Destroyed my clean record. Got a question!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Destroyed my clean record. Got a question!

Can you explain how the City of Toronto can repeal a case? I am aware of no such option.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    Can you explain how the City of Toronto can repeal a case? I am aware of no such option.
    my terminology must be wrong

what i meant to say is that the City appealed and won

I'm the OP, and today I went to the courthouse to request a hearing. The guy told me if I don't get a trial date in a month, to call them. Yeah right...right?! I'm thinking not calling, my goal is to buy as much time as possible.
    Current: 2003 Suzuki GSX-R1000
    Previous ride: 2005 Yamaha FZ6

Quote Originally Posted by Corsara View Post
    I'm the OP, and today I went to the courthouse to request a hearing. The guy told me if I don't get a trial date in a month, to call them. Yeah right...right?! I'm thinking not calling, my goal is to buy as much time as possible.
    Not right, let's say they schedule a hearing but you don't get a letter that states the date of your hearing; therefore you don't show up, they automatically convict you. I've read that it's a pain in the *** to reopen the case...

Hey guys,

I'm the OP and here's my news:

1) I got a hearing date for the beginning of next year.

2) Meanwhile, I'm changing my bike with the one I want (later this week), so I won't have to "wait" for the summer.

Having 2) in mind, isn't it a good idea that I accept the charges (e.g. next week after I already have my new insurance), so that I get the 3 year clock ticking? And how do I do that now, since I've already got a hearing date and all?
    Current: 2003 Suzuki GSX-R1000
    Previous ride: 2005 Yamaha FZ6

Don't "accept the charges". Just let the process run its course and attend the court date on the prescribed day. Talk to the prosecutor on the court date and make sure it's clear that this is a by-law infraction and not the HTA charge. If it really is by-law and not HTA, I'd just plead guilty and pay it.

By letting the process run its course, you still have the possibility of the officer not showing up or something else going wrong with the system.

The officer already did you a favor by charging under by-law rather than HTA.