And the father of the year goes to..... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And the father of the year goes to.....

Re: And the father of the year goes to.....

Quote Originally Posted by SXE MX6 View Post
    You'd be supprised how many americans feel there is no need to ride a bike with a motorcycle.
    Actually got into an argument over if they make it safer to wear one on the one forum i'm on.....
    Btw... how do you ride a bike with a motorcycle!? ;-p

Not something I would do, seems like a high risk situation for the kid. But the kid is looking/leaning into the turn better than Daddy so maybe theres hope for him.

Uh, just because some of us think the father is being stupid in the photo doesn't mean we want our houses and children bubble-wrapped.

The kid can't even reach the passenger pegs. Even if he was going slowly around the parking lot, a drop from the bike at that height while stationary could be quite bad. It amazes me that this isn't basic common sense stuff.

With the 'live free or die' mindset many US residents hold near and dear, this action doesn't surprise me. Before I get flamed for my position I will say that I don't condone it. But that right there isn't my kid on the back of that bike. It's so easy to sit here and judge the action of another from a simple picture. The kid could very well be a very proficient dirt bike rider with more seat time than some of us on here.

maybe the reason they have no helmets is because they are stealing it.

Quote Originally Posted by JZ67 View Post
    With the 'live free or die' mindset many US residents hold near and dear, this action doesn't surprise me. Before I get flamed for my position I will say that I don't condone it. But that right there isn't my kid on the back of that bike. It's so easy to sit here and judge the action of another from a simple picture. The kid could very well be a very proficient dirt bike rider with more seat time than some of us on here.
    Puff puff pass....

Quote Originally Posted by braveheart View Post
    maybe the reason they have no helmets is because they are stealing it.
    Yeah. The busses were probably running late and they had to find alternate transportation to their drug deal.

In that kind of situation what's a 4 year old to do, other than make his dad steal a bike?
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayv View Post
    Puff puff pass....
    Quote Originally Posted by JZ67 View Post
    It's so easy to sit here and judge
    fixed

Quote Originally Posted by jonpurdy View Post
    Even if he was going slowly around the parking lot, a drop from the bike at that height while stationary could be quite bad. It amazes me that this isn't basic common sense stuff.
    Yup it would be a small miracle if this kid, for example, didn't make it all the way to adulthood without a bruise. Maybe even a full-blown cut! Parents can be so cruel.

There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Yup it would be a small miracle if this kid, for example, didn't make it all the way to adulthood without a bruise. Maybe even a full-blown cut! Parents can be so cruel.
    Well there's a clear difference between a kid on the back of a moving motorcycle and a kid sitting on a showroom bike, able to hold onto handlebars, and with a carpeted floor.

(Based on their head sizes I'd guess the prior one was four years old and the one on the showroom bike is around 7. Big difference there, too. But just a guess.)

The similarity to the situation ends at "kid sitting on motorcycle".

The similarity to the situation ends at "kid sitting on motorcycle".
    Actually, being a different motorcycle is the only thing that distinguishes this situation from one you described as "quite bad", since THE bike can only be referring to the one in the OP. Otherwise it exactly fits your description.

...a drop from the bike at that height while stationary could be quite bad.
    And yeah falling on concrete as opposed to carpet could result in both a cut AND a bruise. Aie aie aie! Call CPS and strip search this guy's parents.

I cringe at the thought of parents who prop their kids up on the bathroom vanity for a haircut or whatever. There should be a way to mandate the placement of a minimum thickness carpet under them as a precation. Allowable substitution; bubble wrap.
    There is no planet B.

Well, if one can't initially see the problem with a four year old unprotected on a moving motorcycle then there's probably nothing I can say to convince otherwise.

Actually, being a different motorcycle is the only thing that distinguishes this situation from one you described as "quite bad", since THE bike can only be referring to the one in the OP. Otherwise it exactly fits your description.

And yeah falling on concrete as opposed to carpet could result in both a cut AND a bruise. Aie aie aie! Call CPS and strip search this guy's parents.

I cringe at the thought of parents who prop their kids up on the bathroom vanity for a haircut or whatever. There should be a way to mandate the placement of a minimum thickness carpet under them as a precation. Allowable substitution; bubble wrap.
    Falling from that height for an adult would result in a cut or bruise, falling from that height for a four year old could be deadly onto concrete. At that age their heads are quite large compared to their bodies and pretty heavy proportionately. Also, ever see a four year old raise their arms above their head as far as they can reach? They barely reach above their heads, so if they fall they have less of a chance to protect themselves if their arms are so short that they only extend 2"s above their head. Bottom line, it is just pure stupid to not put something on the kids head, even some bubble wrap.

Yes, I'm an ATGATT sort, but I dislike the nanny state and being told what to do. Having said that though, if 'tard daddy wants to ride without gear, that's his choice. The kid has no choice. That's what's wrong.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Red695 View Post
    Falling from that height for an adult would result in a cut or bruise, falling from that height for a four year old could be deadly onto concrete. At that age their heads are quite large compared to their bodies and pretty heavy proportionately. Also, ever see a four year old raise their arms above their head as far as they can reach? They barely reach above their heads, so if they fall they have less of a chance to protect themselves if their arms are so short that they only extend 2"s above their head. Bottom line, it is just pure stupid to not put something on the kids head, even some bubble wrap.
    Young kids bounce better than adults.

I use to be able to dribble with my boy when he was young.

I'm sure a kid has been killed before by falling from a stationary motorcycle but there are tons of ways to harm ourselves, that's life. Actually, that's half of life. The other half is living it. If you only rate risk according to the worst thing that can happen and ignore the benefit of the experience, the learning, the enjoyment, then you're a foot in the grave already.

Some risks aren't worth the benefit under any rational assessment. In this case all I'm saying is that the possibility exists that the benefit outweighed the risk (or close enough not to justify making a judgement of the parent).

As for the danger of allowing a kid to sit on a stationary motorcycle... please.
    There is no planet B.

I'm sure a kid has been killed before by falling from a stationary motorcycle but there are tons of ways to harm ourselves, that's life. Actually, that's half of life. The other half is living it. If you only rate risk according to the worst thing that can happen and ignore the benefit of the experience, the learning, the enjoyment, then you're a foot in the grave already.

Some risks aren't worth the benefit under any rational assessment. In this case all I'm saying is that the possibility exists that the benefit outweighed the risk (or close enough not to justify making a judgement of the parent).

As for the danger of allowing a kid to sit on a stationary motorcycle... please.

everything is "stationary" in photos

Burlington during the week / Pickering most weekends

Yeah, let's hope the bike wasn't moving and they were just posing for a picture.

Benefit of the doubt.
    Forget world peace. Visualize using your turn signal.

everything is "stationary" in photos
    That wasn't a response to the photo, it was a response to the claims of injuries from stationary bikes:

Falling from that height for an adult would result in a cut or bruise, falling from that height for a four year old could be deadly onto concrete.
    Even if he was going slowly around the parking lot, a drop from the bike at that height while stationary could be quite bad.
    I do! Even if the kid just fell off the bike while it was stationary onto his head on the pavement he could very well be toast.
    Your own words, remember?
    There is no planet B.