Nike undergear on sale - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nike undergear on sale

Re: Nike undergear on sale

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ben Spies, Hayden etc have pretty good physical conditioning......the only way they fixed it was by having surgery to cut open the muscle sack.
    Went thru the medical dictionary I have and found no "mucle sac" but,, assuming one could relax their grip on a Moto GP bike I would expect that would fix it. My whole point was spandex or lycra or what ever fabric can"t fix arm pump,for sure at that level. I would ASSUME what they had done was this
    " inflammation of one of the nine tendons passing through the carpal tunnel causes pressure against the flexor retinaculum. However, the flexor retinaculum, being a sheath of tough connective tissue, has very limited stretching capabilities and is unable to accommodate the space necessary to relieve such pressure. Due to this increased pressure with no room to expand against either the bones of the wrist or the flexor retinaculum, the median nerve is ultimately compressed, resulting in the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.[2]
    In treating carpal tunnel syndrome with surgical intervention (usually done after all non-surgical methods of treatment have been exhausted), the flexor retinaculum is always the structure targeted to relieve pressure in the carpal tunnel. In these surgeries, the flexor retinaculum is either simply severed or it is lengthened. When surgery is done to divide the flexor retinaculum (which is by far the more common procedure), scar tissue will eventually fill the gap left by surgery. The intent is that this will lengthen the flexor retinaculum enough to accommodate inflamed or damaged tendons and reduce the effects of compression on the median nerve. In a 2004 double blind-study, researchers concluded that there was no perceivable benefit gained from lengthening the flexor retinaculum during surgery and so division of the ligament remains the preferred method of surgery.[3
    bickleracing@sympatico.ca
    If you PM me it may take longer!

Quote Originally Posted by john bickle View Post
    Went thru the medical dictionary I have and found no "mucle sac"
    Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Look up Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome. The sacs I'm referring to are fascial compartments.
    Come on, JB.

You replied to the post in which I gave the correct name for the "muscle sacs".

Sorry guys, but GOOD under gear is not cheap.
    +1 to this.

I've used the cheap Walmart stuff and it's not the same, and doesn't do the same thing. The so-called heat gear from Walmart does not wick sweat. It's still too thick. The real Under Armour does an exceptional job. I've also used the Alpinestars variety of under armour and it's not compression enough, doesn't do a very good job at sweat wicking, and doesn't wash well (it tends to hold bacteria and gets kinda smelly regardless of how many times washed).

When it comes to cold gear, I prefer the Helly Hansen kind over the Under Armour, though. It seems to do a better job keeping me warm, without adding any bulk.

Bloody expensive, but totally worth it, IMHO.

Come on, JB.

I doubt any exterior compression clothing could have any real effect on this... Highly skeptical IMO. But it does make for good marketing.

http://www.amateurendurance.com/inju...ct-vs-fiction/
    Last edited by eastcoast_gsx; 03-22-2012 at 02:36 PM.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Ben Spies, Hayden, Lorenzo, and many more have had the surgery.

http://www.stanislausorthopedics.com...dmotocross.htm

How Arm Pump Happens

During vigorous exercise muscles require a tremendous amount of oxygen rich blood and commonly increase in volume by up to 20%. The engorged muscle inside the inelastic fascia results in increasing pressure within the compartment. Although gases and solids are compressible, fluids are not. The incompressible fluid within the inelastic facia makes the forearm feel hard as bone. (A similar mechanism is used elsewhere in the body to create a rigid structure out of soft tissue.) If the "compartment pressure" rises high enough, blood vessels can collapse which restricts or stops the flow through that vessel. Veins, with their low pressure and thin walls, collapse earlier than high pressure, thick walled, arteries. When venous flow reduces, arterial blood continues to enter the fascial compartment but is restricted from leaving. This restricted outflow further increases the compartment pressures. If the compartment pressure rise higher than the pressure in the capillaries (the "capillary pressure") or even the arteries (the "arterial pressure") then these vessels may collapse and result in "muscle ischemia" - a painful condition of oxygen deprivation. Muscle ischemia leads to even higher compartment pressures via pathways we won't discuss here. This cycle of increasing pressure is depicted in Figure 3.

The scenario described above is a well-documented condition that occurs occasionally in the lower legs of distance runners. A few cases have been described in the hands, feet, thigh, elbow, and forearm. The condition is called various names including chronic compartment syndrome, effort-related compartment syndrome, exercise-induced compartment syndrome, and chronic exertional compartment syndrome. When it occurs in the forearm I refer to this condition as "chronic compartment syndrome of the forearm". (CCSF) All of these names seek to differentiate this condition from the much more dangerous syndrome of "acute compartment syndrome". (See Acute Compartment Syndrome above.)

Went thru the medical dictionary I have and found no "mucle sac" but,, assuming one could relax their grip on a Moto GP bike I would expect that would fix it. My whole point was spandex or lycra or what ever fabric can"t fix arm pump,for sure at that level. I would ASSUME what they had done was this
    " inflammation of one of the nine tendons passing through the carpal tunnel causes pressure against the flexor retinaculum. However, the flexor retinaculum, being a sheath of tough connective tissue, has very limited stretching capabilities and is unable to accommodate the space necessary to relieve such pressure. Due to this increased pressure with no room to expand against either the bones of the wrist or the flexor retinaculum, the median nerve is ultimately compressed, resulting in the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.[2]
    In treating carpal tunnel syndrome with surgical intervention (usually done after all non-surgical methods of treatment have been exhausted), the flexor retinaculum is always the structure targeted to relieve pressure in the carpal tunnel. In these surgeries, the flexor retinaculum is either simply severed or it is lengthened. When surgery is done to divide the flexor retinaculum (which is by far the more common procedure), scar tissue will eventually fill the gap left by surgery. The intent is that this will lengthen the flexor retinaculum enough to accommodate inflamed or damaged tendons and reduce the effects of compression on the median nerve. In a 2004 double blind-study, researchers concluded that there was no perceivable benefit gained from lengthening the flexor retinaculum during surgery and so division of the ligament remains the preferred method of surgery.[3
    Last edited by murf; 03-22-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dricked View Post
    Pfffft, who gets arm pump on asphalt...?

Ben Spies???

Operative Solutions to Arm Pump

Surgical release of the forearm fascia (fasciotomy) is easily performed by an Orthopaedic Surgeon. Fasciotomy is not a new or difficult procedure and is more commonly performed in the leg than the forearm. It is often performed in trauma patients to treat or prevent acute compartment syndrome. Fascia release consists of first incising (cutting) the skin and then either incising the fascia or actually removing a strip of fascia. The four fascial compartments in the forearm can be released through two incisions. A volar incision to release the superficial and deep volar compartments, and a dorsal incision to release the dorsal and mobile wad compartments.

The use of forearm fasciotomy for arm pump is very poorly documented in the medical literature. In the few studies that are written authors contradict one another on several points including what constitutes abnormal compartment pressures and which compartments should be released.

Come on, JB.

Doesn"t mean I had any understanding of what you were talking about,,,,BUT murf,,finally got me something,, "compartment syndrome" AND I now understand what you mean or are meaning to say when you say "muscles sac" It's kind of like saying "the stuff in the carb"
    I told you straight up,,,I know enough medicine to get myself in trouble.
    I understand "compartment syndrome" exercise induced and acute [this one is scary]
    Thanks "Murf"

Your welcome.

Doesn"t mean I had any understanding of what you were talking about,,,,BUT murf,,finally got me something,, "compartment syndrome" AND I now understand what you mean or are meaning to say when you say "muscles sac" It's kind of like saying "the stuff in the carb"
    That's not exactly what arm pump is. Look up Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome. The sacs I'm referring to are fascial compartments.
    Seriously?

You replied to that post.

Seriously?

You replied to that post.
    SERIOUSLY I did reply, but to defend my position your accuesd me of,,"Trolling". When in fact I was looking for a better medical answer.
    The fact that your post never mentions "Compartment syndrome" ,that was "MY" confusion ,it did not explain or broaden my knowledge,,,as did "murf's "post.
    Your post states'
    "Now consider compression gear. Normally depleated blood is flushed from the muscle tissue by the inflow of new fresh blood. Once the fresh blood leaves the arterial system and enters the muscle tissue the pressure is relatively low so there's not a lot of pressure pushing the depleated blood from the muscle tissue. If external compression is applied such that the resulting internal pressure does not result in vein constriction or collapse then it will increase the rate of blood flow from the muscle. If depleated blood can be evacuated from the muscle tissue faster then it's less likely that a rider will get lactic acid buildup and muscle swelling that results in arm pump. Yes, the external compression would act against the heart supplying blood to the muscle but the gains still out weigh this. "

I don"t agree with this but was leaving it alone. But,here we go,, the fact you mention that external pressure applied by compression gear will enhance the movement of blood from the muscle to the vein,, unless,, the pressure inside the compartment is great enough to collapse the vein then the return flow is impeded.
    THAT fact alone makes me ask the question ,,If the compression gear is strong enough to push/squeeze blood out of the muscle belly does compression gear have enough pressure to lead to the premature collapse of the veins?? That was question #1

Then it says "Yes, the external compression would act against the heart supplying blood to the muscle but the gains still out weigh this" If it can work against the supply of blood flow then it can work against the removal of blood and if it impedes the blood flow how can that outway the gains? If you have poor blood flow to the muscle,, you certainly will have a poor blood flow out of the muscle. Does compression wear only pressurize the arteries and not the viens?

My point was to try to get some info to really explain how this stuff works. Engineered fabrics are really interesting,,I just have a confused issue over compression gear. It contradicts itself in my world,,,but that's me.

It's starting to make sense to me,but you guys are making my head hurt too.Let's talk about it in the pits sometime.DOCC Mosport...I'll buy.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    It's starting to make sense to me,but you guys are making my head hurt too.Let's talk about it in the pits sometime.DOCC Mosport...I'll buy.
    I'm in,,,Agreed, my head is hurting,,but some will say that's normal!

Some will say? Meh,what do they know?Be there John....the crew will be waiting.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

SERIOUSLY I did reply, but to defend my position your accuesd me of,,"Trolling". When in fact I was looking for a better medical answer.
    The fact that your post never mentions "Compartment syndrome" ,that was "MY" confusion ,it did not explain or broaden my knowledge,,,as did "murf's "post.
    I already apologized for my incorrect inference. I already did mention "compartment syndrome". I already clarified EXACTLY what I meant by muscle sacs. I actually put some effort and spent some time writing those posts, they weren't just copy and paste from wikipedia.

Thanks, John. You definitely make the effort I put into this thread feel pointless.

Another study...

http://www.jssm.org/vol5/n1/12/v5n1-12pdf.pdf

The only thing they seem to even THINK it worth looking at is the post excersise muscle soreness, and even that is almost meaningless from a clinical standpoint.

PS: Compression Gear = Marketing Genius.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

I already apologized for my incorrect inference. I already did mention "compartment syndrome". I already clarified EXACTLY what I meant by muscle sacs. I actually put some effort and spent some time writing those posts, they weren't just copy and paste from wikipedia.

Thanks, John. You definitely make the effort I put into this thread feel pointless.
    I'm sorry I made you feel pointless,,, I was simply looking for some medical answers and hoped someone would be better schooled then me to explain how it could work. Sorry I hurt your feelings,,,but ,,all said and done can you asnwer the questions I asked? We can call it anything we want, the end result is nobody is any further ahead.
    I must have missed the GTA memo where we were to consider ones feelings,,,my humblest apoligies for that and will endevour to be a tad more considerate in the future. How does that go,,,,,,"Bazzinga" And no need to post,,I know I'm a @$$!

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Another study...

http://www.jssm.org/vol5/n1/12/v5n1-12pdf.pdf

The only thing they seem to even THINK it worth looking at is the post excersise muscle soreness, and even that is almost meaningless from a clinical standpoint.

PS: Compression Gear = Marketing Genius.
    Wow that was deep,,,, My line of thinking on this has one area nobody has elaborated on and I think it's unique to the sport. Your forarm muscles never really relax. So assuming that the normal muscle function in nearly every sport invvolves the repetative contraction and relaxation of the muscle. This sequence allows the muscles in the compartment to relax and will not or at least will reduce the possibility of the vein collapse. The muscle contraction and relaxation helps the lactic acid and blood evacuate the muscle. When riding a bike you may not relax your forearm muscles for the entire race. The reason being you need to hold youself on the bike by the grips. So if the muscle never relaxes,,, even if a compression garmet does work medically,,this would make it very difficult to do a good job in this sport in the arms . THAT WAS MY OPINION.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    Some will say? Meh,what do they know?Be there John....the crew will be waiting.
    Uhmmm,,,now I'm very afraid,,Old Milwaukee and trisuits,, now that's a track diet!
    Last edited by john bickle; 03-24-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Uhmmm,,,now I'm very afraid,,Old Milwaukee and tricuits,, now that's a track diet!
    don't forget Joe Louis'
    Many thanks to my kid's sponsors: MOTOZEN Racing, Bickle Racing, JD Trailer Sales, GPBikes, Johnny Andro of GUNN's Physical FX Studio,CSV Graphics, Z1 cycletech, Chinatown Optical, ImpactArmor, MPHD Ltd, The Morton Foundation, Kevin Zhang, Sam Nawaz, Donovan Paige, Les Booth and race coach extraordinaire/ voice of reason; John Bickle!