Nike undergear on sale - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Nike undergear on sale

Re: Nike undergear on sale

Quote Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
    don't forget Joe Louis'
    So the Triscuits are the fiber,,Old Milwaukee is the hydration and the Joe Louis is the rest of the food group? Awsome!
    bickleracing@sympatico.ca
    If you PM me it may take longer!

Before I start, I'll qualify that I almost finished my PhD in Kinesiology before returning to the real world (the ivory tower was giving me a nose bleed). I've helped in research papers that looked at improving blood flow from the extremities to the heart. They were either G-suits or specialized pants that actually provided a moving pressure ring up the leg to improve blood flow.

Regardless of the claims made by the manufacturer, JB is actually the closest to the truth from my perspective. Compression garments protect against blood pooling by compressing the veins, which are more superficial and have thinner walls than the deeper arteries. Also, arterial (systolic) blood pressure is always higher than venous (diastolic) blood pressure, so any compression at the skin surface will first shut down venous return before it affects the arterial supply to the muscle. This should theoretically INCREASE lactic acid concentration in the muscles. But whether retail compression garments are able to produce enough pressure to affect any blood flow is still undetermined.

Still, if people claim that they feel an effect it could be for a number of reasons. Regardless of the research, if something creates a perceived performance improvement, then that is real world significance and to hell with statistics.

Basically, we can continue debating mechanism forever on this topic, but my opinion is you should keep using whatever you feel works. Using controversial means to increase performance is nothing new to sports training and performance, and by the time the research community has caught up to the real world, people have either embraced it as fact or kicked it to the curb.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAYZ View Post
    Before I start, I'll qualify that I almost finished my PhD in Kinesiology before returning to the real world (the ivory tower was giving me a nose bleed). I've helped in research papers that looked at improving blood flow from the extremities to the heart. They were either G-suits or specialized pants that actually provided a moving pressure ring up the leg to improve blood flow.

Regardless of the claims made by the manufacturer, JB is actually the closest to the truth from my perspective. Compression garments protect against blood pooling by compressing the veins, which are more superficial and have thinner walls than the deeper arteries. Also, arterial (systolic) blood pressure is always higher than venous (diastolic) blood pressure, so any compression at the skin surface will first shut down venous return before it affects the arterial supply to the muscle. This should theoretically INCREASE lactic acid concentration in the muscles. But whether retail compression garments are able to produce enough pressure to affect any blood flow is still undetermined.

Still, if people claim that they feel an effect it could be for a number of reasons. Regardless of the research, if something creates a perceived performance improvement, then that is real world significance and to hell with statistics.

Basically, we can continue debating mechanism forever on this topic, but my opinion is you should keep using whatever you feel works. Using controversial means to increase performance is nothing new to sports training and performance, and by the time the research community has caught up to the real world, people have either embraced it as fact or kicked it to the curb.
    Grayz,thank you, totally agree on the mental aspect. If the mental aspect out weights the possible mechanical negatives ,,,it works! I just was looking for a better perspective on the real world medical values. But if performance goes up because you like vanilla pudding,compression gear [or Old Millwaukee and Triscuits] before you compete,, then who can argue!

But if performance goes up because you like vanilla pudding,compression gear [or Old Millwaukee and Triscuits] before you compete,, then who can argue!
    4 pieces of 8grain toast, toasted on #4, with nutella, 500ml of cold water, the sunglasses come on and it's race time!.

Quote Originally Posted by john bickle View Post
    But if performance goes up because you like vanilla pudding,compression gear [or Old Millwaukee and Triscuits] before you compete,, then who can argue!
    Proabably shouldn't do the Old Milwaukee thing before a race or track day,,,might be a bit over the top and get you tossed! But I see a lot of people using it for post activety therapy!

Interesting..the UCI has dictated that socks be no higher than the mid-point between the knee and ankle. This is to prevent the compression effect from giving riders an unfair advantage..fuel for the fire...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...-length_209958
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    Interesting..the UCI has dictated that socks be no higher than the mid-point between the knee and ankle. This is to prevent the compression effect from giving riders an unfair advantage..fuel for the fire...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...-length_209958
    Yeah, those guys in blue shirts look like scientists...

Job security if you ask me. Look at them... wtf else are they going to do in life.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Yeah, those guys in blue shirts look like scientists...
    And you look like a roadracer!

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    More like a dragracer, but I get your point.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    Depends what part of me you are looking at :-p

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    More like a dragracer, but I get your point.
    LOL... shhhh....

Avert your eyes Children,,,, He may take on other forms!