Bike stutters then stops

Thread: Bike stutters then stops

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Bike stutters then stops

Well the problem is still happening. Today the bike won't start at all. It will try to turn over, and sometimes will fire up just for a few seconds then stop. I've got the batter charged up so it's not that. It's on the tender. The hose i was thinking about being the problem in my previous post can't be the issue because it's just the small hose for the reserve tank. I want to pull the spark plugs and replace them, but now i have to find a wrench to fit, it's an extremly tight fit to get to the four plugs on the Magna. I'm also thinking of putting in some seafoam to hopefully clean the jets out if thats the problem.

Also another strange thing. When i did get it to fire up a few times, the engine sounds normal and when you crank the throttle you get the normal engine sounds, yet the needle for the rpm's doesn't move at all, it just stays at 0. Whats up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
    Well the problem is still happening. Today the bike won't start at all. It will try to turn over, and sometimes will fire up just for a few seconds then stop. I've got the batter charged up so it's not that. It's on the tender. The hose i was thinking about being the problem in my previous post can't be the issue because it's just the small hose for the reserve tank. I want to pull the spark plugs and replace them, but now i have to find a wrench to fit, it's an extremly tight fit to get to the four plugs on the Magna. I'm also thinking of putting in some seafoam to hopefully clean the jets out if thats the problem.

Also another strange thing. When i did get it to fire up a few times, the engine sounds normal and when you crank the throttle you get the normal engine sounds, yet the needle for the rpm's doesn't move at all, it just stays at 0. Whats up with that?
    That sounds like a electrical issue…like a battery issue. I’ve seen batteries that are faulty cause issues like this.

Not to add to the complexity of possible issue but I had the same thing happen to a bike in which the tip over sensor was tripped. It would randomly start and die when I stopped. Turned out the tip over sensor was not mounted correctly and would die at weird times.
    Current - '08 T-rex (soon to be T-rex-T)
    Current - '02 Suzuki Hayabusa-T

Ex' - '88 - Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '01 - Suzuki Gixxer 1000
    Ex' - '89 - Honda CB-1
    Ex' - '02 Yamaha R6
    Ex' - '91 Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '98 Suzuki GSXR 600

Ok this is the noobiest of questions.. but what size wrench do you need to pull bike sparkplugs? I have an 11/16 and a 5/8 and neither fit. My plugs are deep in a tunnel and in a really awkward place to get out and can't really see them well. I went to crappy tire today and bought a cheapo sparkplug wrench thinking it would fit but it didn't, and none of my ratchets do.

I also bought a can of seafoam and put some in the gas tank and i did start up with some choke but i still have the problem of 0 rpm's, even though the bike is running and sounds normal, it makes the vrooom sounds when you crank the throttle so i am really worried about letting the engine run like that, will it seize something, or already is? I'm really confused Is it an electrical thing with the rpm gauge itself maybe?

I'm on a limited budget with this bike and don't want to dump a fortune on it since i got it cheap and planning on a newer bike later this year so i'm taking it one step at a time trying the cheapest things first. When i do finally pull the plugs and replace those if that doesn't work i guess the next step would be a new battery. But mine seems fine. I have it on the tender and maintaining the green light. .. Stumped..

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
    Ok this is the noobiest of questions.. but what size wrench do you need to pull bike sparkplugs? I have an 11/16 and a 5/8 and neither fit. My plugs are deep in a tunnel and in a really awkward place to get out and can't really see them well. I went to crappy tire today and bought a cheapo sparkplug wrench thinking it would fit but it didn't, and none of my ratchets do.

I also bought a can of seafoam and put some in the gas tank and i did start up with some choke but i still have the problem of 0 rpm's, even though the bike is running and sounds normal, it makes the vrooom sounds when you crank the throttle so i am really worried about letting the engine run like that, will it seize something, or already is? I'm really confused Is it an electrical thing with the rpm gauge itself maybe?

I'm on a limited budget with this bike and don't want to dump a fortune on it since i got it cheap and planning on a newer bike later this year so i'm taking it one step at a time trying the cheapest things first. When i do finally pull the plugs and replace those if that doesn't work i guess the next step would be a new battery. But mine seems fine. I have it on the tender and maintaining the green light. .. Stumped..

Not too sure about your '84 honda magna but for my ninja it came with its own special spark plug tool to pull it out. I think for every bike they have their spark plug pulling specialty tool?
    09 Ninja 250 (Nov 2011)
    Loo for school
    Join upp Group Rides Facebook

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

I think you should bring the bike to Rosey Toes.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

I definetely plan on taking it to a shop if i can get it running. Rosey's too far to risk it, but there is another one 10 minutes from my house but i have no way to get it there. @Bweixz yeah i would imagine they do, my bike didn't have the tool kit when i bought it