Harley Sportster 1200cc First Ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harley Sportster 1200cc First Ride

Harley Sportster 1200cc First Ride

So I just rode my first motorcycle ever, it was a Harley Sportster. Just went with the father in law to a vacant parking lot to get a feel for the weight and feel of riding. It has alot of power but he thinks I did pretty well for my first time on a motorcycle. He didn't believe me when I told him it was. Riding that bike just makes me want to get one even more now. Unfortunately I have to wait and save money.

So it got me to thinking, what is everyone else first riding experiences. Surely you must remember your first time. Everyone at one point was a beginner. Just curious.

I rode it around a loop on empty industrial streets for a couple hours before getting it in traffic. Scared ******** and alone. An hour later I was barreling down country roads as fast as the bike could go. Probably stupid. But awesome none the less. And to be honest, everytime I get out there feels like the first time still. It never gets old.

Re: Harley Sportster 1200cc First Ride

Last edited by 2live&ride; 04-13-2012 at 02:30 AM.
    Mina

When I got back into riding my first bike was a 1200 Sporty. Above 50 MPH the vibes and buffeting can get to you but the main reason I moved on was I wanted to tour and the Sporty was thirsty in about 100 miles.

A friend of my Dad's stopped by to visit one summer back when I was 13 and we were living in northern Ontario. He had trailered his Honda 350 dirt bike with him and, after a brief lesson on clutch and throttle, I was allowed to ride it. Took to it like a duck to water and spent most of the next three days bombing around the gravel roads and firebreaks, loving every minute if it. Didn't ride again till I was 19 and in the military; I was stationed in Montreal and a friend had a Honda CB650 that he'd let me ride around the base. Didn't have a licence, so one weekend when I went home (Kingston ON at that time) I got my learner's permit and bought a new leftover '81 Honda CX500C from the dealer in Montreal a few days later. Rode for 6mo on a temporary plate and learner's permit, then got my full licence one summer weekend back in Kingston. 15 minutes later I got my first speeding ticket.

That was 30yrs ago, haven't been without a bike ever since.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

I was 12 and my brother was 10 and we had just moved to rural Nova Scotia shortly after my Dad retired from the Air Force. WIth all the backroads and empty fields surrounding us, we had the choice between horses or dirt bikes. We chose bikes and shortly afterwards were the proud owners of shiny, red Kawasakis. Both bikes were 2-strokers with "oil injection" - mine was a KE-100 and my brother received the lower-to-the-ground, KM-100. Mine had bigger wheels so it was faster but by scooting my butt to the back of seat on my brother's little machine, I could catwalk the thing in the first three gears - what a hoot.

Spent the next several years racing on the dirt roads and generally acting like hooligans. Back in those days we would see an RCMP car maybe twice a summer and with all the farm kids driving trucks and tractors from the fields and what not, there was not a great deal of concern regarding underage drivers. I'm sure things have changed since then (mid-70s).

I rode that bike until the Spring when I turned 16 and after a couple of summers of working in the hayfields, I had enough to buy a new Kawasaki KZ400. Got my learner's permit the day after I turned 16 and immediately took my test for a motorcycle license. The test consisted of a figure eight in the parking lot and then riding down the street to turn around at the veterinarian's office and returning to the testing office.

The examiner stood on the sidewalk watching you and if you used your indicators and didn't fall over, you got a full "M" operating license. I'm sure that has also changed since 1979!

I rode all through high school and university but after being transferred to Toronto, I gave up my bike. Six years ago, on a bit of a whim, actually, I went out and bought a new Yamaha V Star 1100 and have been getting as much seat time in as possible since then. My wife also rides now and there is nothing I enjoy more than riding with her and exploring small towns outside the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake_Demi View Post
    So I just rode my first motorcycle ever, it was a Harley Sportster. Just went with the father in law to a vacant parking lot to get a feel for the weight and feel of riding. It has alot of power but he thinks I did pretty well for my first time on a motorcycle. He didn't believe me when I told him it was. Riding that bike just makes me want to get one even more now. Unfortunately I have to wait and save money.

So it got me to thinking, what is everyone else first riding experiences. Surely you must remember your first time. Everyone at one point was a beginner. Just curious.
    HD For life brother. Slap on V & H PIPES power commander, cams, head/valve job and that bike will be a firebreathing monster!!! its a sick bike! Mine is the IRON 883

Sadly I can't afford that right now with me being a young rider I'm only 23. But some day for sure.

A buddy let me try his bike back in 1978 at my folk's property. I promptly drove it into the side of another friend's car when I went over a small bump and twisted the throttle grabbing on. Left a small black mark on the car that rubbed off, and no damage to the bike. 32 years later I got my CB200t.

It was a sunny Saturday morning with a bit of breeze swirling up bits of dust from the parking lot that surrounded us. The excitement and nervousness of the group was palpable. Everyone at the Canadian Motorcycle Association training course in Stoney Creek were all set with their leather or denim jackets, helmets, boots and gloves that they either recently bought or borrowed. My first time on the bike was a bit of a disappointment as we ended up taking turns pushing each other around the lot for about ten minutes to get a feel for the controls and how to the handle the 250cc bikes that are aren't much heavier than scooters. Still, it was exciting to be on a motorcycle, any motorcycle really.

The tinny roar of a dozen or so smaller displacement motorcycles was quite a contrast to the massive Honda Goldwings parked nearby. We rode in a straight line at first and then practiced our turns, though I don't think we got fast enough to recognize the counter-steering concept we were taught during the theory portion the evening before. Still after the basics we ran through a series of figure eights. The Sunday we were back again this time reinforcing mirror/shoulder checks, emergency stops, and reaction practices (not braking while cornering type exercises). And finally the M2 test.

I bought my first bike the weekend after that; a used Kawi Vulcan 500 from Blackstock, Ontario. From there it took me over 6 hours to ride back to Toronto, stalling at pretty much every red light I encountered. For me it was a great bike; comfortable, nimble, good looking and appropriately proportioned for my height. 5 years and 60,000km it was replaced with a bigger bike but I will always remember it fondly as with my first time on a bike.

Nice. I had my course coming up first weekend in April

My first riding experience was when I was 12, and I rode an Enfield Bullet 500cc in India while visiting family. That bike was waaay too heavy for me, but had my uncle on the back to help keep balance.

Got my licence after my 16th birthday and my first bike was a HD Sportster 883. Then I moved to a Honda Shadow 750 ACE and now I am looking for a Suzuki Boulevard 800cc
    Follow me on Twitter: @SEVEN40iL

Nice next year I want a honda shadow vlx hopefully I can find one. I really like the bobber tail (not sure what the real name for it is. I think it's bobber)

Starting a little later in life, I thought I had everything planned out. Stay on side streets, ride in "off peek" hours blah blah blah. I got my bike did a loop around my block and was off into traffic and never looked back. I do remember thinking...."Holy F*** I am actually doing this, I am actually F***ing doing this" I still smile every time I pull out of my driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake_Demi View Post

Funny, I rode the same bike for my first ride

- Randy

Quote Originally Posted by ReaImDown View Post
    Funny, I rode the same bike for my first ride

- Randy
    That's ONLY because I came to your house and woke your lazy *** up haha. Damn, the things I do for you buddy

I had been interested for a while. I went dirt biking about six years ago, went as a passenger on my friend's R1 three years ago, and finally took the course and got my licence two years ago (spring 2010).

What really sticks out for me is my first ride on my current bike. I went to see the bike and asked for, and was offered a test ride - on a handshake agreement that I'd help repair the bike if I crashed it.

I just remember how different the neighborhood felt on two wheels. I remember looking all around me and trying to remember what to do when I came up to a traffic circle, or to other cars, or to people crossing the road. I also remember getting waved at by a guy passing by and thinking, "this is so cool!" I was lost in an unfamiliar part of town, and even on the residential neighborhood, I could feel the power and acceleration.

I made an offer the next day and had the bike within a week. Still have the same bike ('04 Bandit 600S), and have put on about 9500 kms.

I remember it well. I was around 16 and I spend a couple of hours with my brother on a honda xl350 learning how to operate the clutch. After I "master" that I went for a ride alone on some backroads around the city where I used to live. Second gear was broken so I had to change from first to third. But the mighty 350cc engine with a good torque handled it well. I rode so much and changed gears so much that at the end of the day my left hand was swollen... good bike, good times! By the way, good topic too!

Mine was a 83 midnight maxum in 87.They has the seca race motor.Gave it too my throttle On the launch then gave it more trying to hold on and shot across the parking lot into a field.Lucky my cousin knew what was going to happen so he pointed the bike toward an open field.I had rode many dirt bikes but never a street bike,wanted to teach me a lesson and i learned it very quickly.The lesson was to stop bugging him to ride his bike
    Last edited by matt123; 04-12-2012 at 12:28 PM.

I was 11 when I received a small displacement yamaha motorcycle that felt like an antique back then (Im only 29 now). I remember the day being very hot, I was pushed around by my father as he instructed me. Finally I made a few loops around some grass fields. Later that evening I ventured onto the concession roads of rice lake, I believe 8th or 9th concession and rode up and down the seemingly large hills at the time just before the sun was setting. I had never felt more alive and focused.