Need recommendation to decide between wheel chock or stand

Thread: Need recommendation to decide between wheel chock or stand

Need recommendation to decide between wheel chock or stand

I've recently bought another motorcycle which is not equipped with a center stand (a first for me). To that end, I'd like to keep it in the garage upright rather than leaning on the side stand as a personal preference.

For this application, which is better? By better, I mean cheap (low cost), versatile (useful for different purposes like supporting bike for service as well as everyday), reliable (keeps bike upright and securely so).

A wheel chock like this:

Or a fork stand like this:

For that matter, concerning stands, would I be better off getting a front stand or rear stand?

Thanks for your sage advice.
    Last edited by robmack; 03-09-2012 at 06:27 PM.
    - Robert.
    1988 BMW K100RT
    2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Re: Need recommendation to decide between wheel chock or stand

That wheel chock is not built to support a bike without being bolted or secured down at all.

Youll want something like the one from PA or something similar, that is able to support a bike upright.

That rear stand would work as well, depending on your bike if it is spooled or non spooled.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

This one is great for mounting on a trailer, or you could bolt to the floor, but it would be unmoveable... $30 @ HF with super coupon

This one works great and does not need to be fasten down. but it takes a bit of floor space.... $65 @ HF with super coupon

This one takes the least amount of room and totally mobile.... $25 @ HF with super coupon

Last edited by TheDutchDream; 03-09-2012 at 04:31 PM.

The rear stand is really all you need,, providing there is a spot for spools or spools in your swingarm.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDutchDream View Post
    The rear stand is really all you need,, providing there is a spot for spools or spools in your swingarm.
    Thanks for the input. I updated the original post to show a wheel chock with outriggers to make the chock stable. I realized that I did need to get one with such a feature.

Does HF ship to Canada? Or have they established themselves here? I thought they were US only.

My bike does not have spools nor do I believe it is capable of accepting spools. There doesn't seem to be a place for them on the swingarm. I guess that rules out a rear stand. I'm thinking that the wheel chock might be the way to go so long as it reliably holds the bike up. If I need to work on the bike, I have a portable roll-about lift.
    - Robert.
    1988 BMW K100RT
    2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Roll-around lift? What kind of bike do you have as many don't allow for lifts that lift from under the bike.

IF your lift is all you need to get the bike up for maintenance then go for the front wheel chock (I just got one too).

IF you find that the lift doesn't work with your bike, then I'd suggest getting a set of front and rear stands which will allow you to hold the bike up and do maintenance and cleaning easily.

If your bike can't accept spools, there are "universal" stands which have paddles the cradle the swingarm.

If you're thinking of getting only 1 stand, get the rear; it's more useful. DON'T lift the front of a bike on a fork stand without it already being on a rear stand; they're not stable on their own, you're gonna drop your bike.
    2008 SuperDuke (current)
    2003 WR450F / SM (current)
    2005 DRZ400SM
    2003 XR50R (current, son's)
    1997 TL1000S
    1999 SV650S
    1985 GS750EF
    1983 GPz750
    1982 Nighthawk 650

Quote Originally Posted by robmack View Post
    Thanks for the input. I updated the original post to show a wheel chock with outriggers to make the chock stable. I realized that I did need to get one with such a feature.

Does HF ship to Canada? Or have they established themselves here? I thought they were US only.

My bike does not have spools nor do I believe it is capable of accepting spools. There doesn't seem to be a place for them on the swingarm. I guess that rules out a rear stand. I'm thinking that the wheel chock might be the way to go so long as it reliably holds the bike up. If I need to work on the bike, I have a portable roll-about lift.

Yes, HF is in the states, but i live pretty much on the boarder. so im about 20min from the store...

Quote Originally Posted by coyo View Post
    Roll-around lift? What kind of bike do you have as many don't allow for lifts that lift from under the bike.
    It's a motorcycle lift from CTC. I use it for maintenance and it works perfectly with my old bike, a BMW K100. The lift can also accomodate my new bike, a Moto Guzzi V7, when I need to maintain it. The lift has casters so that I can roll it around the garage, that's all that I meant by roll-around.

Quote Originally Posted by coyo
    IF your lift is all you need to get the bike up for maintenance then go for the front wheel chock (I just got one too).
    I'm tending in that direction. I researched some more and the rear lift needs finesse to use. My purpose is for parking the bike upright in lieu of a center stand so the chock seems to fit that purpose better. I have a feeling that parking the bike into the chock and retrieving it out of the chock will be much easier.
    - Robert.
    1988 BMW K100RT
    2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

For daily parking the chock is definitely more convenient. Roll in, roll out. I'm curious, why is parking the bike perfectly vertical so important to you?

if it's got a chain i'd get a rear stand... way easier to lube the chain.
    x