Riding a bike that is not registired to me.

Thread: Riding a bike that is not registired to me.

Riding a bike that is not registired to me.

Need some advice, I have purchased a used K75 and the bike is about 60 kms from my place.
    The guy I'm buying from says I can use his plates and insurance for the trip back here then mail the plates back to him. I will also have the signed ownership and bill of sale with me.
    Does this sound legal or more to the point is there anything here that a quota hungry cop can ding me for?
    Thanks

Re: Riding a bike that is not registired to me.

Until you take that ownership in an register it in your name the bike is still his.. you'll want to make sure his insurance is current, but aside from that he has just lent you his bike for the day.. nothing illegal about that.

Nothing different than riding your friends bike. If the slip is current it's fine. However, Current slip does not guarantee there is a current policy on the bike.
    http://www.arcadius.ca/

1964 Junak M10, 2000 Bandit 1200

Quote Originally Posted by arekzjawin View Post
    Nothing different than riding your friends bike. If the slip is current it's fine. However, Current slip does not guarantee there is a current policy on the bike.
    True, but as log as you have the slip, worst case scenario it would be super easy to have that fine thrown out in court " your honor it clearly wasn't my bike.. the owner assured me the insurance was current, I took the time to verify the slip was current anyway, .. what else was I to do?" case dismissed!

could he write a note saying that the insurance is upto date, regardless of the slip that you have...if you have an accident, you wanna know you are covered...or would you not get your own insurance anyways, they would supply you with a temp slip?

better yet why not just get the owner to ride.
    My Rides:
    2005 Yamaha R6 (Sold)
    Looking for a 125 or 250

Quote Originally Posted by just_luc View Post
    True, but as log as you have the slip, worst case scenario it would be super easy to have that fine thrown out in court " your honor it clearly wasn't my bike.. the owner assured me the insurance was current, I took the time to verify the slip was current anyway, .. what else was I to do?" case dismissed!
    That's very bad advice. You are responsible for making sure that there is valid insurance, on a vehicle that you are operating. It's not grounds for dismissal. Either the owner, or the operator can be charged. Presumably the original owner would be able to present a bill of sale, indicating that he no longer had an insurable interest in the vehicle, and so would not be the one charged.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

It's fine. It would be the same thing as driving someone else's car. Same rule applies.
    Hypothetically, if you do get pulled over as long as the insurance slip is valid you are good to go. Cops don't verify the validity of the insurance by calling the Insurance company, as long as the slip has not expired you are fine. Technically they can call and find out, but it would be only in extreme situation.
    Don't over think.

That's my 2 cents.

IMO, I'd be more concerned about travelling without coverage than a possible ticket. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine if you show the ownership and liability slip if pulled over. But, the bike may not actually be insured. It's pretty easy to get it insured so, get the vin and get it insured. Then ride it home with the plates and liability slip from the seller. Good to go.

get the VIN and get the bike insured yourself. You'll get a binder and insurance slip. You can still ride the bike with it plated and insured by the seller if they are willing to let you. But, it's very easy for them to cancel the insurance before you ride and you don't know.

I agree with Malim's reply.... All will be fine. I have done this numerous times without issue. Hell, I have even left my plate on my Hayabusa for some stranger to drive back to New Brunswick, he simply mailed them back. There are still good people in the world today, who are willing to simply help out. Take him up on the offer, and pass along the good karma.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    That's very bad advice. You are responsible for making sure that there is valid insurance, on a vehicle that you are operating. It's not grounds for dismissal. Either the owner, or the operator can be charged. Presumably the original owner would be able to present a bill of sale, indicating that he no longer had an insurable interest in the vehicle, and so would not be the one charged.
    The biggest worry would be to the seller if there was an at fault. The claim would be on his record and his rates would go up. If the insurance was invalid his entire estate would be at risk. The financial risk to the buyer is limited to some tickets and the lingering insurance hit for three years.