Parking Ticket due to faulty parking machine

Thread: Parking Ticket due to faulty parking machine

Post Parking Ticket due to faulty parking machine

So the other day i got a pay parking ticket on my bike, PARK VEHICLE ON PRVATE PROPERTY WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE PROPERTY OWNER OR OCCUPANT.

Now the issue i have with this parking ticket is that i park there all the time, i buy my parking pass for 5$ for 12 hours of parking. i have the stubs of previous parking times that i paid for with my credit card.

But when i drive my Motorcycle i don't carry my credit card, i only carry my Licence and cash, i went up to the machine put in 5 dollars and pressed the button, nothing happened, pressed to get my money back, nothing came out. so i proceeded to park my bike write a note saying "Machine broken, paid for parking" and stuck it on my passenger seat. so i go grocery shopping with my friends and come back. and see 3 tow trucks and a meter maid, so i'm like wtf going on. run up the stairs and see them towing some cars. then i see a parking ticket on my bike, so i run up to the metermaid and ask him why i got a ticket. he said i parked without paying, as did the owner of the lot who called them to come and ticket and tow cars/bikes. I explained to them that i paid my money and it did not dispense a parking pass, and left a note on my bike. the lot manager then proceeded to say "well if the machine doesn't work don't park here and you wouldn't get tickets now would you?"

So if i take my ticket to court would i have a justifiable case. Is it not the responsibility of the lot owner to make sure that their machines are working? and even in the case that i am still guilty should i not be reimbursed my 5$ that was stolen by his machine

Re: Parking Ticket due to faulty parking machine

Unfortunately you have no proof of payment. That makes it tough to fight. If you had called the number that was likely displayed on the ticket dispenser, then you could at least support your claim, somewhat, with cell phone billing records.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

What he said.....^^^^^

you could have also gone to another machine as well...

always call and report the machine number of the unit that is not working, you might or might not get your money back, back you have proof that you called in, machine is malfunctioning, and ticket would more than likely be cancelled....

but it's easier to hit another machine to get a parking pass
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    1983 Suzuki GS750E - Rebuild Project

What's stopping you from taking your credit card when you are on your bike?

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use a credit card for purchases like this if there is the option to do so - because of the traceability of the transaction.

I've had a situation where a parking ticket machine took my credit card but didn't print the ticket.

If it's impark, you can try your luck on the dispute and I think they let the first offence off without much of discussion.
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Quote Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
    What he said.....^^^^^

you could have also gone to another machine as well...
    Sometimes there is only 1machine, and sometimes there is no machine lol
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Quote Originally Posted by whetaus-tr View Post
    If it's impark, you can try your luck on the dispute and I think they let the first offence off without much of discussion.
    Based on the wording it sounds like a city ticket, not one from Impark. Similar situation to the one that I recently had in which I received a ticket for illegally parking on private property, in a lot that throws its gates open on Sundays.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    What's stopping you from taking your credit card when you are on your bike?

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use a credit card for purchases like this if there is the option to do so - because of the traceability of the transaction.

I've had a situation where a parking ticket machine took my credit card but didn't print the ticket.

Losing my credit card 3 times on my bike makes me not bring it anymore.
    But seeing as this power tripping jerkoffs like to ticket all then time ithink i may just have to bring my card. And the parking was Precise ParkLink.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Can you not find a better lot?

I used to get free parking downtown about once every 3 months when the machine broke. I wrote the MACHINE BROKEN not on the previous day's ticket.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishIce View Post
    Losing my credit card 3 times on my bike makes me not bring it anymore.
    But seeing as this power tripping jerkoffs like to ticket all then time ithink i may just have to bring my card. And the parking was Precise ParkLink.
    Curious, how does this happen?
    It's the Least I Could Do

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat.

If the credit card is in your wallet where it should be, how do you just "lose" it?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    If the credit card is in your wallet where it should be, how do you just "lose" it?
    i lose my wallet.

I am gonna start following you around when you ride.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Just a long shot but could you ask to have a record of tickets issued and cash received from that machine on that day? This would prove you paid (or at least someone) and did not receive a ticket.

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Based on the wording it sounds like a city ticket, not one from Impark. Similar situation to the one that I recently had in which I received a ticket for illegally parking on private property, in a lot that throws its gates open on Sundays.
    If that is the case...you wouldn't need to take it very far. Call 416-393-PARK & they'll probably fix it/waive it for you. In the future, if there's a booth tell them about it so you can get a record on file to make the whole process smoother if you get ticketed.

Really unfortunate incident ....
    but i think it should be brought to notice off the department as it may at least stop others from going through the same ordeal.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishIce View Post
    So the other day i got a pay parking ticket on my bike, PARK VEHICLE ON PRVATE PROPERTY WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE PROPERTY OWNER OR OCCUPANT.

Now the issue i have with this parking ticket is that i park there all the time, i buy my parking pass for 5$ for 12 hours of parking. i have the stubs of previous parking times that i paid for with my credit card.

But when i drive my Motorcycle i don't carry my credit card, i only carry my Licence and cash, i went up to the machine put in 5 dollars and pressed the button, nothing happened, pressed to get my money back, nothing came out. so i proceeded to park my bike write a note saying "Machine broken, paid for parking" and stuck it on my passenger seat. so i go grocery shopping with my friends and come back. and see 3 tow trucks and a meter maid, so i'm like wtf going on. run up the stairs and see them towing some cars. then i see a parking ticket on my bike, so i run up to the metermaid and ask him why i got a ticket. he said i parked without paying, as did the owner of the lot who called them to come and ticket and tow cars/bikes. I explained to them that i paid my money and it did not dispense a parking pass, and left a note on my bike. the lot manager then proceeded to say "well if the machine doesn't work don't park here and you wouldn't get tickets now would you?"

So if i take my ticket to court would i have a justifiable case. Is it not the responsibility of the lot owner to make sure that their machines are working? and even in the case that i am still guilty should i not be reimbursed my 5$ that was stolen by his machine
    Something like this happened to me. The day I got the ticket, I took it to -I don't even know what it's called, the parking ticket authority's HQ on John St. If I remember correctly, they made me fill out some form to spark an 'investigation' of the machine in question. I don't remember paying anything to have this done.

A letter came in the mail eventually, that said -I think, we could find anything wrong with the machine but next time something like that happens, don't park there. I think you have two weeks or less to do this, but, I didn't have to pay for the ticket.