the notorious Right Engine Mount Bolt on the 07/08 ZX-6R

Thread: the notorious Right Engine Mount Bolt on the 07/08 ZX-6R

the notorious Right Engine Mount Bolt on the 07/08 ZX-6R

I have run into the same problem as most ZX-6R owners have come across when trying to remove the right engine mount bolt. The damn bolt has become stripped/rounded.

I had read probably almost every thread in various forums before working on that bolt to avoid my current situation. The bolt has won again.

I have now moved on to researching the best method to get the rounded bolt out. Majority of people have found sucess using a bolt extractor from Sears. However, what they speak of appears to be only sold in the states.

Anyone here have any suggestions?????
    Will the damaged bolt extractors found at Crappy Tire do???

Thanks in advance!

Re: the notorious Right Engine Mount Bolt on the 07/08 ZX-6R

Quote Originally Posted by spaz619 View Post
    I have run into the same problem as most ZX-6R owners have come across when trying to remove the right engine mount bolt. The damn bolt has become stripped/rounded.

I had read probably almost every thread in various forums before working on that bolt to avoid my current situation. The bolt has won again.

I have now moved on to researching the best method to get the rounded bolt out. Majority of people have found sucess using a bolt extractor from Sears. However, what they speak of appears to be only sold in the states.

Anyone here have any suggestions?????
    Will the damaged bolt extractors found at Crappy Tire do???

Thanks in advance!
    Since its a 10mm bolt, you should have no problem using a good quality bolt extractor....Its the smaller size bolt extractors that tend to snap off causing huge problems...

I suggest spending the extra money and going with a good brand name extractor, no Princess auto or Canadian tire brand crap...Get a good industrial quality product

It should also help if you run the engine allowing it to heat up the cylinder head where the bolt is threaded into
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 03-08-2012 at 09:20 PM.

its actually only a 6mm bolt. Make a difference??

Where are the good quality extractors sold?

its actually only a 6mm bolt. Make a difference??

Where are the good quality extractors sold?
    The socket head on the bolt is a 6mm, but the bolt is a 10mm thread M10x1.25.....I know your bike like the back of my hand, and there is no way a 600cc would use a M6 bolt for an engine mount

Good quality extractors are sold anywhere, even princess auto usually has their crappy "Power fist" brand and then also a higher quality Irwins

I assume the socket style extractors would be the ones to use?

I assume the socket style extractors would be the ones to use?
    Id use a reverse spiral, basically you drill a hole in the center of the bolt. Then hammer in the extractor and turn it out...It grabs the bolt from inside the hole

Weld something to it that you can get a grip on creating a new "head" to the bolt?
    "They Say At 100MPH Water Feels Like Concrete, Just Imagine What Concrete Feels Like At 100mph" - Nicky Hayden

>< VC 01.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Weld something to it that you can get a grip on creating a new "head" to the bolt?
    Bolt extractor would be more fees able than welding. High torque might break the weld. And there is little space there as well.

Just a suggestion
    "They Say At 100MPH Water Feels Like Concrete, Just Imagine What Concrete Feels Like At 100mph" - Nicky Hayden

>< VC 01.

One trick I've seen in a machine shop is to hit the bolt with a hammer and punch. I think this is to shock the bolt, breaking free the threads. Also if you are drilling out the broken bit, the punch will dimple the bolt, giviing a spot for the drill bit to start. I've also had some luck with left hand drill bits. Good luck.