Oil Change for ninja 250R - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil Change for ninja 250R

Re: Oil Change for ninja 250R

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails idle.jpg  
    Last edited by 250R-ICE; 03-12-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Ok I'll try to help out with the idle issue.
    - start the bike with the choke on for about 3 mins, then turn the choke back down to normal and let the bike idle for another 2 mins
    - go for a 20 minute or so ride , until the bike is fully warmed up
    - put the gear in neutral and check the rpms , they should be around 1,200 - 1,500 rpms
    - if it's too high try adjusting the idle speed adjustment screw. It's a black screw located on the left side of the bike close to where you knee would rest. Just turn it in small increments until the idle is close to the 1,200 - 1,500 rpm area. I can't recall which way increases - decreases the rpms. I think counter clockwise decreases it. Don't turn it too much , usually a quarter turn is all that is needed.
    - once you get it close to the correct rpm, go for a ride and see if holds it there. If not keep fine tuning it.
    - just make sure the bike is fully warmed up when you do this. Don't just start the bike and try to adjust it without going for a ride first. I would also do this on a mild day. It's difficult to get it accurate on a cold day. These bikes run very lean to begin with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	idle.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	27642

Quote Originally Posted by Bweixz View Post
    haha thanks all

and yeah it my only interview/offer from 1st round so i just took it lmao didnt kno they were gonna work me to the ground
    dam you should have asked in the interview, i always ask for the hours/rate etc, i had around 11/12 interviews before i finally picked mine and that was in last round too.

Quote Originally Posted by whetaus-tr View Post
    I have the same thing going on.... no worries on that. It's a Ninja 250 thing, as far as I know.

You will also notice different rpms from day to day, for the same speed on a given gear. For instance, my bike runs anything between 4.5k-5.5k rpm at 60km/h on 6th gear.

oooo okay yeaa thats exactly what happens LOL i thought my engine was over heating or something crazy . . . didnt want it to break down half way somewhere

thanks!
    09 Ninja 250 (Nov 2011)
    Loo for school
    Join upp Group Rides Facebook

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Quote Originally Posted by 250R-ICE View Post
    Ok I'll try to help out with the idle issue.
    - start the bike with the choke on for about 3 mins, then turn the choke back down to normal and let the bike idle for another 2 mins
    - go for a 20 minute or so ride , until the bike is fully warmed up
    - put the gear in neutral and check the rpms , they should be around 1,200 - 1,500 rpms
    - if it's too high try adjusting the idle speed adjustment screw. It's a black screw located on the left side of the bike close to where you knee would rest. Just turn it in small increments until the idle is close to the 1,200 - 1,500 rpm area. I can't recall which way increases - decreases the rpms. I think counter clockwise decreases it. Don't turn it too much , usually a quarter turn is all that is needed.
    - once you get it close to the correct rpm, go for a ride and see if holds it there. If not keep fine tuning it.
    - just make sure the bike is fully warmed up when you do this. Don't just start the bike and try to adjust it without going for a ride first. I would also do this on a mild day. It's difficult to get it accurate on a cold day. These bikes run very lean to begin with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	idle.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	27642
    i see, thanks! will definately do that up when i go home. the problem is it's on and off, sometimes it'll be okay then sometimes the rpm will jump up :/ so kinda sketchy but according to whetaus-tr its just a ninja thing so i guess it's okay
    09 Ninja 250 (Nov 2011)
    Loo for school

You will also notice different rpms from day to day, for the same speed on a given gear. For instance, my bike runs anything between 4.5k-5.5k rpm at 60km/h on 6th gear.
    That is not possible unless your clutch is slipping or the tachometer reads wrong at various times.
    "If you have ten thousand regulations, you destroy all respect for the law." Winston Churchill

i see, thanks! will definately do that up when i go home. the problem is it's on and off, sometimes it'll be okay then sometimes the rpm will jump up :/ so kinda sketchy but according to whetaus-tr its just a ninja thing so i guess it's okay
    Make sure you are adjusting the idle speed after the engine is completely warmed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripletrouble View Post
    That is not possible unless your clutch is slipping or the tachometer reads wrong at various times.
    ohhhh shieeeeeeettt i have a feeling my clutch was slipping . . . i might need a new clutch then? D:
    09 Ninja 250 (Nov 2011)
    Loo for school

I show you the way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWpsVH6Trkw

and if you want help cleaning a chain here,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8SvEg-bAsU

Quote Originally Posted by Tripletrouble View Post
    That is what I was told at the very first time I mentioned about this problem in here last year, and people went as far as telling me that I was on drugs and didn't know what gear I was in etc. you get the point =)

Then it turned out that inconsistent rpm readings due to engine temperature is a well documented issue in the Ninja 250 world.
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

ohhhh shieeeeeeettt i have a feeling my clutch was slipping . . . i might need a new clutch then? D:
    Try this: get on the 6th gear, and cruise around 3k rpm (I would guess this is between 25-30km/h), then open the throttle all the way and keep the throttle full open till you hit 60km/h.

If your rpm is going up much before you see a significant change in the speed, then you do need a new clutch.

Else if your rpm is rising proportional to your speed, then your good.

My guess would be the 'else if' situation, because a slipping clutch should be very obvious, even to a new rider. And my other guess would be that you have the same problem as many other Ninja 250s. Unless your getting odd mileages and experience BIG loss in the power out of blue, then you may want to go to Kahuna, otherwise, you just learn to live with it =)
    Last edited by whetaus-tr; 03-13-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: addded video

If your rpm is going up much before you see a significant change in the speed, then you do need a new clutch.

My guess would be the 'else if' situation, because a slipping clutch should be very obvious, even to a new rider. And my other guess would be that you have the same problem as many other Ninja 250s. Unless your getting odd mileages and experience BIG loss in the power out of blue, then you may want to go to Kahuna, otherwise, you just learn to live with it =)
    Computer programmer?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
    Computer programmer?
    Not so long ago, I was an ESL student =)

one other thing to note is that the CDI on these bikes can cause the RPMs to read high at times. It's worse when it's hot out, but I've seen fluctuations of 1000 rpm or more, while keeping a steady throttle opening on a really hot day. It's a defect that Kawi won't do a recall for, some guys swap their CDI units for the pregen -07 ones to fix it. I don't know if this will apply to your situation or not since it's still relatively cool out, but i just thought I'd put it out there before you tear the clutch out of it.

and unrelated, but i chuckled at the If then statement

Try this: get on the 6th gear, and cruise around 3k rpm (I would guess this is between 25-30km/h), then open the throttle all the way and keep the throttle full open till you hit 60km/h.

Hahah alright i just did that test and it didnt slip, both the tach and the speedometer were going pretty even so

Yeah i noticed its more sketchy when its hotter out!!
    09 Ninja 250 (Nov 2011)
    Loo for school

Quote Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
    I really do hope all these hours you put in a week, (76 hours) are because you own the business and are willing to do this, otherwise I would be getting a hold of the labour board.....really fast....

and or your getting paid O/T for the extra 32 hours or so per week your doing.....I can't imagine you enjoying life all that much......or having the time to enjoy it.....
    Whats this a union thread?

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    Wow.

I hope you get to nap all day at work for the rest of the year... otherwise you're a chump.
    Like a chump hey
    Like a chump hey
    He did all for the nookie
    For the nookie!!!