New to the Forum, Need some advise on buying my 1st bike(Again, i know :)

Thread: New to the Forum, Need some advise on buying my 1st bike(Again, i know :)

New to the Forum, Need some advise on buying my 1st bike(Again, i know :)

Hope everyone in the forum is doing well. I getting my M1 this week, looking to buy a Kawasaki 250 Ninja as my 1st ride. I got a quote for 600$/year from SF because of having my license(g class) for 5 years( i came to Canada 5 years back). I have driven back home(Pakistani, Karachi a city of 18 million people) on a Honda 70cc(70km/liter) and Honda/Kawasaki 125(50-45 Km/liter) which are regularly used for commuting. Driving there is like driving through a mine field with open manholes(not cordoned off) on the road, big speed breakers with no signs and track lines which no one follows. Also i never had a license there, no helmet, never carried an ownership( you can pay the cops 40rs to get them off your back which is essentially 45cents here), no protective gear. no limit on timings, no limit on the number of people i could carry on the bike( i did 4 at most :P), and no speed limit. Also driven in areas where there are no roads, so its literally sand, rocks and water streams. Its just to give you guys an idea of what i have been through, I thought this would serve as a good introduction.

Here are a few pictures to get an idea of what its like

http://www.flickr.com/photos/reggcohn/4988646404/

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_6GQRBJwJ37M/Sa...79image004.jpg

This is how crazy it can get

http://pakistan.onepakistan.com/phot...stan/111223-45

sorry not trying to get you guys bored. I know its totally different down here. Which is why i needed some advise.

1. Wanting to buy a Kawasaki 250 ninja for commuting to work and enjoy the summer. I have a budget of 3300$ for the bike. Is there anything better than a Kawasaki Ninja 250 for beginners who want to keep it cheap. I also looked at Honda 125 CBR but i dont think that is something i would like to ride on the highway.

2. Should i take a course with the college for my M1 exit test?(SF doesn't care if i have one, the insurance remains the same)

I would appreciate all the advise i can get. Have fun Ladies and Gentlemen, the season is just around the corner.

Re: New to the Forum, Need some advise on buying my 1st bike(Again, i know :)

Sorry it should have been in the "introduce yourself". I tried to delete it but am unable to

Are you over 25? If so you may want to checkout ridersplus, for me I got insurance low enough to justify the course being almost "free" compared to my SF/TDMM quotes.

Ninja 250 should do fine on the highway, as long as you don't have passengers
    Bike: 1994 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Cage: 2002 Supercharged SVT Focus

Ninja 250r will do fine, regardless of passenger =) No worries on that.

If I was starting this thing all over again, I would still do the Moto Safety Course everytime without a doubt. Yes, insurance doesn't give a ****, but you are given so much useful info that any and every one of them will be useful during your street riding.

I had in my class, a guy who came to the class on his brand new ZX-6R, and another cruiser guy from US in need of a transfer to Ontario license. So, even people, who know what they are doing take those courses, and they admit that they learn a lot of stuff.
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

I agree that the Safety Course should be done. Partly bc I did driver's ed in high school, and to this day, still drive the way I was taught.

However, would you recommend the M2 Exit as well on top of the M1 Exit?

Thanks for the Help. What should be a reasonable price for a 250 Ninja. I have been offering 3300$, but no one seems interested

Anything between $2500 - $4000.

I just checked out kijiji, and most of the bikes are well overpriced. You could easily find bikes near $3000 just a month ago... If you are going to pay up to $4000 + tax, make sure that the bike is worth it, because most as posted are not.

Quote Originally Posted by dontgiveajack View Post
    I agree that the Safety Course should be done. Partly bc I did driver's ed in high school, and to this day, still drive the way I was taught.

However, would you recommend the M2 Exit as well on top of the M1 Exit?
    Considering the fact that even the professional racers take classes from time to time, there is always something to learn, whatever your level is.

When the M2 exit time comes, even if I thought I would pass the road test (I already think I can lol), I will still take some sort of a lesson.

Otherwise, passing the road-test should be easy. You can even find videos on youtube, where people are performing the test, and not to mention all the info on this forum on routes, tips etc.

I got my M1 last July and took the RTI course. Went at 60 days and got my M2 at the ministry. I'm booked for the FAST course in Shannonville in May and the Lee Parks Total Control course in June. Don't let anyone tell you that training and practice are a waste of time or money.

I started on a 250 Ninja as well. I'm very happy that I did because my 250 was very, very forgiving when it came to making errors. From the clutch to braking and being light enough to throw around on the road when you need to. I almost hit a van that made a left turn in front of me, and I think if the bike had been any heavier than it was, I probably would have either hit the van or laid it down.

When I sold the bike I got $4700 for it. It was a 2011 in perfect condition and about 11,000 km on it.

You will find one in your price range, just keep looking. With the riding season starting up now it might be a little tougher. Good luck! Find a good group of people to ride with and have fun!

+1 I took my M1 exit course with RTI as well and signed up for my M2 exit course with learning curve for end of April.
    I started on a 250 last year and will be taking a 4 day course with Racer5 this summer! Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Smutty View Post
    I got my M1 last July and took the RTI course. Went at 60 days and got my M2 at the ministry. I'm booked for the FAST course in Shannonville in May and the Lee Parks Total Control course in June. Don't let anyone tell you that training and practice are a waste of time or money.

I started on a 250 Ninja as well. I'm very happy that I did because my 250 was very, very forgiving when it came to making errors. From the clutch to braking and being light enough to throw around on the road when you need to. I almost hit a van that made a left turn in front of me, and I think if the bike had been any heavier than it was, I probably would have either hit the van or laid it down.

When I sold the bike I got $4700 for it. It was a 2011 in perfect condition and about 11,000 km on it.

You will find one in your price range, just keep looking. With the riding season starting up now it might be a little tougher. Good luck! Find a good group of people to ride with and have fun!

What should i be looking for before i buy a bike. I mean the must check things to determine the condition of the bike. Also should i buy post 2008 Kawasaki 250 Ninja? I went to motorcycle world by Mccown and sheppard, they recommended the older versions even though they had the new ones.

Also i asked 2 biker friends and they said you will get tired of a 250 within a month. Its very low power and can hard hold on the highway. I thought 250's could go upto 140Km/H.

I think i will take the M1 exit course.

Thanks for the Help guys, cant wait to hop on a bike and cruise the streets. Also are the police always stopping people on bikes? Is it true?

Easy - buy mine.

My wife has a CBR250R and I ride it from time to time. It's a great starter bike, but most would sell it within a few months. I'd recommend a 400cc+.

I have an 06 650R for $3600 if your interested.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Regards,
    Rodney Reynolds

Motorcycle Group: CLICK HERE | My Distractions: CLICK HERE | I Saw You: CLICK HERE

04 VFR800 (Current)
    11 CBR250R (Current - Wife's)
    06 Kawasaki 650R
    06 Yamaha TW200
    83 Honda 100cc

Quote Originally Posted by Freak View Post
    What should i be looking for before i buy a bike. I mean the must check things to determine the condition of the bike. Also should i buy post 2008 Kawasaki 250 Ninja? I went to motorcycle world by Mccown and sheppard, they recommended the older versions even though they had the new ones.

Also i asked 2 biker friends and they said you will get tired of a 250 within a month. Its very low power and can hard hold on the highway. I thought 250's could go upto 140Km/H.

I think i will take the M1 exit course.

Thanks for the Help guys, cant wait to hop on a bike and cruise the streets. Also are the police always stopping people on bikes? Is it true?
    I rarely go under 130km/h and mostly around 145-149km/h. This is doable also with a passenger. It's the (CBR) 125cc's that run into trouble on the highway. With a 250, you can lose your license in no time =) and they do 160-170km/h +.

What to watch out for when buying used ?? There is a sticky on the New Riders page, explaining things from scratch. Check that out.

Police stopping bikes random ... Can't say much about that. I have been riding for 1season @ 14,000kms. Never been stopped, altho I have been tailed a few times.