Oil Pump Cover leaking

Thread: Oil Pump Cover leaking

Oil Pump Cover leaking

My 99 r6 is leaking oil from the cover area and is coming out of the 2 allen key bolts at the bottom .. I guess this means i would need to replace the gasket ?? I tighten everything back up and still minor slow leak but getting on my shoes when I'm riding

Re: Oil Pump Cover leaking

Quote Originally Posted by Simply.Smooth View Post
    My 99 r6 is leaking oil from the cover area and is coming out of the 2 allen key bolts at the bottom .. I guess this means i would need to replace the gasket ?? I tighten everything back up and still minor slow leak but getting on my shoes when I'm riding
    Your oil pump is inside your engine cases, are you sure your referring to the correct part? Possibly you mean water pump

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Your oil pump is inside your engine cases, are you sure your referring to the correct part? Possibly you mean water pump
    Or stator cover maybe? Maybe the pickup coil cover?

Here is the service manual for your bike: http://likestuff.globat.com/99-02R6_Service_Manual.pdf

When I refer to "left hand" and "right hand" I'm pretending you're sitting on the seat

Left hand side of the engine, stator cover (2):

Right hand side of the engine, at the front, ignition pickup cover (4):

Right hand side of the engine, in the middle, clutch cover (3):

Right hand side of the engine, below clutch cover, water pump (5):

Pics would help tons

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Its the ignition pickup cover thanks for the pics ,the 2 bottom bolt their is a bit of oil coming out of their when riding and getting on my shoes . Bike was dropped but doesn't look like its leaking anywhere else aside from the 2 bottom bolts . Thanks for the help

Its the ignition pickup cover thanks for the pics ,the 2 bottom bolt their is a bit of oil coming out of their when riding and getting on my shoes . Bike was dropped but doesn't look like its leaking anywhere else aside from the 2 bottom bolts . Thanks for the help
    No probs, glad I could help. If the bike has been dropped the cover is probably warped just slightly. Sometimes using double gaskets will help, but I don't recommend it.

Remove the cover with the bike on it's side stand after it's sat for a while (overnight), there will be almost no oil in the ignition pickup cover area. Remove the gasket and clean all the bits of it off, from both parts (the engine block, and the cover). Once it's totally clean, like 100% cleaned with alcohol, not even a spec of oil remaining on the gasket area, use this stuff: http://bit.ly/AbhosT

Follow the directions. Apply a small, even bead, let it set up for a bit, screw the cover down just barely snug hand tight, let it set up overnight, then torque it to factory specs. I guarantee it won't leek after that

-Jamie M.
    (P.S. If you've got the ignition cover off anyway, now would be a good time to drop in a +4 ignition advance rotor from Factory Pro )
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Thanks man I'm a do it this weekend . Don't wanna drop to much money in it wanna get a newer r6

Thanks man I'm a do it this weekend . Don't wanna drop to much money in it wanna get a newer r6
    Good luck

And fuel injection FTW

Find a deal on a nice 05 R6 http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ354291693 (make that guy a ridiculous offer)

-Jamie M.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    No probs, glad I could help. If the bike has been dropped the cover is probably warped just slightly. Sometimes using double gaskets will help, but I don't recommend it.

Remove the cover with the bike on it's side stand after it's sat for a while (overnight), there will be almost no oil in the ignition pickup cover area. Remove the gasket and clean all the bits of it off, from both parts (the engine block, and the cover). Once it's totally clean, like 100% cleaned with alcohol, not even a spec of oil remaining on the gasket area, use this stuff: http://bit.ly/AbhosT

Follow the directions. Apply a small, even bead, let it set up for a bit, screw the cover down just barely snug hand tight, let it set up overnight, then torque it to factory specs. I guarantee it won't leek after that

-Jamie M.
    (P.S. If you've got the ignition cover off anyway, now would be a good time to drop in a +4 ignition advance rotor from Factory Pro )
    Do not use that crap Loctite 515 flange sealant is your friend little tiny bead tighten the bolts and you are done. No set up time no leaks ever. I have been using this for years it is expensive but you will never look at RTV again after using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    Do not use that crap Loctite 515 flange sealant is your friend little tiny bead tighten the bolts and you are done. No set up time no leaks ever. I have been using this for years it is expensive but you will never look at RTV again after using it.
    Rtv does it's job if you let it setup. That locyitke stuff is very good but pricy I have to admit I like it.