Rode for the first time ever today...and felt like Superman - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rode for the first time ever today...and felt like Superman

Re: Rode for the first time ever today...and felt like Superman

Have fun!

Today was awesome!
    My fourth time out, and I hit the bigger roads around Woodbridge...down Weston, across Langstaff, back up to Teston, and down Pine Valley.

Pine Valley was fantastic with all those huge dips. I was careful to move to the right tire track as I crested the hills, just in case there was a sloppy driver coming at me. But the biggest test of the day was my first left hand turn! From Langstaff, onto northbound Weston. I kept my proper blocking position, made sure I had an emergency exit, and then kept with the flow of traffic. I know I sound like a massive Noob, but it felt great.

Funny part... I was stopped on southbound Weston when a Harley rider came up just to my left. I saw him thru my mirror waving hello. I reached to wave hello, let go of the clutch and stalled it out. ...won't be making that mistake again.

There were a lot of riders out today...some in pairs. I know I'm not ready for that yet. I'm enjoying going at my own pace... and still feeling like Superman.

Last edited by wormburner; 03-14-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wormburner View Post
    Funny part... I was stopped on southbound Weston when a Harley rider came up just to my left. I saw him thru my mirror waving hello. I reached to wave hello, let go of the clutch and stalled it out. ...won't be making that mistake again.
    been there, done that when I was new

Sounds like you're taking it very seriously, that's good. All the thought and actions while riding will meld together with experience, so it's great that you're focusing on the safety aspect.. it'll become a part of your riding, almost subconscious

Quote Originally Posted by wormburner View Post
    Today was awesome!
    My fourth time out, and I hit the bigger roads around Woodbridge...down Weston, across Langstaff, back up to Teston, and down Pine Valley.

Pine Valley was fantastic with all those huge dips. I was careful to move to the right tire track as I crested the hills, just in case there was a sloppy driver coming at me. But the biggest test of the day was my first left hand turn! From Langstaff, onto northbound Weston. I kept my proper blocking position, made sure I had an emergency exit, and then kept with the flow of traffic. I know I sound like a massive Noob, but it felt great.

There were a lot of riders out today...some in pairs. I know I'm not ready for that yet. I'm enjoying going at my own pace... and still feeling like Superman.

Bahahaha I almost did that last week on my 2nd week riding. Biker passing by waved at me and i was like "guh.....how do I wave back while holding my clutch?" lol
    I'm a new rider moving back and forth from the woodbridge and richmond hill area (but mostly at langstaff(ansley grove) and weston) Lemme know if you wanna ride around to get some practice in :P

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    Biker passing by waved at me and i was like "guh.....how do I wave back while holding my clutch?"
    That is where the nod comes in. Waaaay better to nod in traffic then trying to kill yourself freeing up your left hand

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    That is where the nod comes in. Waaaay better to nod in traffic then trying to kill yourself freeing up your left hand
    Lol thats what I decided to do when my hands are occupied.

awesome! welcome, its never too late to start riding!

Wait till you're in moderate traffic on a highway on a bike that can out accelerate 99% of cars. THe power and ability to pretty much go anywhere and pass any car you desire in seconds is intoxicating. It really does feel like you're superman.
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

wait til your first wheelie... then you'll feel like a god

2007 Lotus Exige S ~ the grocery-getter
    2004 ZX6R ~ the daily commuter (sold)
    2005 GSXR 1000 ~ the scary thing in my garage (sold to my insurer lol)
    2007 GSXR 1000 ~ the newer scary thing in my garage