Rode for the first time ever today...and felt like Superman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rode for the first time ever today...and felt like Superman

Rode for the first time ever today...and felt like Superman

So RTI is booked for April, but I couldn't help myself today. The sun was shining, I didn't have to go to work, and the side streets around my house were dead empty. I put on all the gear, got on the bike, and HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE!

I can't believe I waited until I was 37 to do this. Yes, I stalled it a few times. Yes, it took some time to get used to giving it enough gas. But the slow clutch release just came naturally.
    So after the very first time on a bike, here are my observations....

1) I NEVER could have done this on a 600cc bike. My CBR250 is very forgiving.
    2) It's gonna take some time to get comfortable with the foot controls in my SIDI ST's.
    3) I'm gonna need to stick to side streets for a couple months until I feel comfortable joining full traffic... 3rd gear is good enough for now.
    4) Now I get that "push steer/counter steering" thing.

Wow, it really is like flying.
    Last edited by wormburner; 03-08-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Re: Rode for the first time ever today...and felt like Superman

haha glad you had fun! No worries about the foot controls, it'll work itself out. Try not to put too many restrictions on yourself, the first week I had the bike I laid down a 200km day with a more experienced buddy of mine. I was a little nervous at first, but had a great time and learned a lot. That was before my RTI course, too... after your course, I'm sure you'll feel like a rockstar and you'll be free and capable of going wherever you want.

Welcome to the bucket list gang, I started when I was 38 and wished for the last 20 years back the moment I started to move. Course is a good move, you'll be riding in the streets with traffic in no time, keep a open mind to things, I was worried as well but once I started I never looked back. Good luck and ride safe !!

I've only been riding one season but man do I miss that feeling of everything being new. I envy you. You'll have a blast during the course, it's a lot of fun!

wormburner this is not conductive of keeping me off mine (until the RTI course) as I'll be getting it delivered this Friday :P lol
    I am the Stig's father's brother's cousin's nephew's former roommate.

Bike: 2011 Honda CBR250R ABS - T-Rex Frame Sliders, Sato Spools, Tankslapper Film, TechSpec SS Tankpads, Fastpack Tail Bag
    Cage: 2006 Honda Accord V6 6spd Coupe - AEM V2, HFP Suspension, TL-S Sway, CT Shortshift, Partial Exhaust

Respect...safe riding sir
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/signaturepics/sigpic29682_1.gif

I was not a part of that class.

QUARTER LITRE WITH CHEESE

Congrats, there is nothing like that first ride!!!

i waited till i was 33 till i got my bike... arghhhh all those wasted years!!

Congrats on the first ride man! Hope to have the same feeling when I get on my bike.

For some people it is a good thing to start later than earlier. (Hopefully) you're more mature and wiser than you were in your 20s, so you won't be getting all the tickets that the younger "hot heads" get when they start.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    For some people it is a good thing to start later than earlier. (Hopefully) you're more mature and wiser than you were in your 20s, so you won't be getting all the tickets that the younger "hot heads" get when they start.

Wise words. I would have killed myself on a motorcycle as a young man. I was a holy terror on a bicycle back before BMX and mountain specialty bikes became available, used to build ramps and jump the local creek, set my bike up so that I could pull wheelies all day etc. A motorcycle would just have been a bad idea. I was 48 when I finally got back in the saddle. I like to think I'm a bit more mature, however the old instincts are still there.

CONGRATS........be safe

to OP, you don't need to stick with side streets for couple months... probably a week of practice after your RTI course, you should be ready to join the "fun" with all the cagers on the road....

I'll see ya around

+1

I had the road experience only on rental scooters on vacations here and there once a year, and after RTI at the docks last year, I was on the street on my very first hour =)

And my Ninja 250r was totally a stranger to me then =)
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

wormburner, you're killing me here. I'm also registered for the safety course in May but I don't even have a bike yet, all I can do is put on my helmet and gloves and make vroom-vroom noises lol
    Last edited by danarchy; 03-09-2012 at 04:07 PM.

I was 24 when I got my first bike (27 now) and at the time I was thinking to myself "Why didn't I do this earlier?!" I think everybody has the same thoughts

Talking Re: Rode for the first time ever today...and felt like Superman

First off, thank you all for your kind words.

I went out for my second ride today (Sunday) and I got much more comfortable shifting gears, cancelling turn signals, and generally manouvering the bike. I also took the advice of some here and headed out onto Rutherford Road..... I wound it up for the first time. All I can say is - WOW!

I am really happy with the riding position on the CBR250R - very upright. In fact, my buddy (a riding instructor) stopped by today with his VFR800 and took my CeeBee for a boot. Even he was surprised with the ride quality. I was waiting for him to start ribbing me about the leather pants, but he was kind...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cbr250R1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	27622

Congrats. Find some hilly and curvy country roads; ideally something scenic. Take it easy as there is loose gravel on a lot of curves in the spring. Country roads are the most fun. They beat the hell out of riding around town, and are considerably safer for learning. Have fun!

I'm so jelly, I don't have my plates yet cuz insurance doesn't start till may...all i can do is ride up and down my neighborhood, while dodging cops

Enjoy your ride and ride safe. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders. I too started on a 250 and remember that first ride. A great feeling indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhhh the first ride, glad you have your senses about you - my bike isn't coming for a few weeks otherwise (because I'm in R.Hill) I would have offered to go out with you. Stay safe, and the rewards are limitless my friend.