Battery question

Thread: Battery question

Battery question

Hi all,

After taking my battery off of the tender for the winter I found the battery dead. It was giving me issues last fall so I thought keeping it on a tender might do it good but, I think the 4 year life of it was the end cause of it dying. Any way, I'm looking at replacing the battery now and was given a quote for a dry AGM and then another quote for a flat plate AGM which seems to be a heck of a lot better.

Anyone have one? Are they really worth almost triple the price then the dry AGM's?

Any help would be appreciated.

Btw - the bike is a 04 Honda 599

Thanks
    -- 2004 Honda 599 --
    www.jtgolf.ca

Re: Battery question

I don't understand why ppl leave their battery on a tender and overcharge it to death. When u leave it on the tender, you're overcharging it and drying up all the water.

Just charge it once a mth or once for the winter season and u're good
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I don't understand why ppl leave their battery on a tender and overcharge it to death. When u leave it on the tender, you're overcharging it and drying up all the water.

The OptiMate 3 will stop charging the battery once it's fully charged.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Quote Originally Posted by floger View Post
    Hi all,

After taking my battery off of the tender for the winter I found the battery dead. It was giving me issues last fall so I thought keeping it on a tender might do it good but, I think the 4 year life of it was the end cause of it dying. Any way, I'm looking at replacing the battery now and was given a quote for a dry AGM and then another quote for a flat plate AGM which seems to be a heck of a lot better.

Anyone have one? Are they really worth almost triple the price then the dry AGM's?

Any help would be appreciated.

Btw - the bike is a 04 Honda 599

Thanks
    I don't think any battery is worth triple the price for a standard lead acid battery if you're just riding on the street.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Get the standard el cheapo from Royal $40 and replace it every 2-3 years. I have had way better luck with the standard ones lasting than the AGM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    Get the standard el cheapo from Royal $40 and replace it every 2-3 years. I have had way better luck with the standard ones lasting than the AGM.
    +1

Also, the Battery Tender Jr. stops charging once it's done. Monitors the voltage and if it drops a certain % it'll top it back up again

Left my battery on it all winter, BRUMMM started like a champ the few times I rode it during the winter (including today)

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Ive kept all my bikes on Battery Tenders over the winter with no issues whatsoever.

Ive only replaced one battery in all my years of riding so far, and that one was from an R6 that got fried from a broken rectifier.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Quote Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post
    +1

Also, the Battery Tender Jr. stops charging once it's done. Monitors the voltage and if it drops a certain % it'll top it back up again

Left my battery on it all winter, BRUMMM started like a champ the few times I rode it during the winter (including today)

-Jamie M.
    Yep, they call this "float" mode. Most tenders I've seen start off with a relatively high amp fast-charge which slows to a "trickle" charge when the batt is at about 80% and then goes into maintenance (aka "float") mode when the battery is full. I'm sure not all are equal but the Jr has been trusty all winter.

Thanks for the response guys. After more research, I think I'll be going to go the original route which is a Yuasa in my bike. I've found a few others that are less then half the price of the Yuasa from Royal Battery 44.95 (Powersonic) Royal Distributing (No name) 33.95 or Outside Powersports (Koyo) at 33.89.

Do you recommend going the original route or spending less then half the price for the least expensive one?

RockerGuy - I left my battery on the tender because it was suppose to regulate the charge as stated in the manual and reviews. The battery was over 4 years old to begin with.
    -- 2004 Honda 599 --
    www.jtgolf.ca

Get the no name from RD for 33.95 they work well and are no problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post
    Ive kept all my bikes on Battery Tenders over the winter with no issues whatsoever.

Ive only replaced one battery in all my years of riding so far, and that one was from an R6 that got fried from a broken rectifier.
    Too many variables to prove, but I'm saying you done have to have one.

I only replaced one battery in my riding career too. My stock battery in my 1st bike lasted 10yrs
    Resident Loudmouth

Too many variables to prove, but I'm saying you done have to have one.

I only replaced one battery in my riding career too. My stock battery in my 1st bike lasted 10yrs
    Meh, for my own peace of mind i will continue to do this. I even do it for my track bike .
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.