Enclosed "race" trailer build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enclosed "race" trailer build

Enclosed "race" trailer build

Got myself a new 7x12 aluminum last week, I had it for about the 2 hours it took to pull it home and then I was already putting holes in it.

Figure since a bunch of people here do track days or what not with their trailers, I can maybe give some ideas as to how I'm setting mine up for people that are looking for ideas.

Things going in this trailer include a bed, work bench, sound system, 12V electrical system with a small inverter, LED lighting and of course wheel chalks and tie downs.

Heres the inside when I got it home:

Here's the work bench/sound system and my deep cycle marine battery installed:

I'll be charging the battery through the week on a charger and then mount it in the trailer before I head for the track. I was originally going to charge it off the truck while I pulled the trailer, but I've done enough reading and come to the conclusion that after a weekend of running from the battery, the truck won't charge it up completely. I'm considering a solar charging system though.
    Hopefully the battery will be enough for a weekend. It won't be running much more than my stereo for a couple hours total and maybe charge up my cameras with the inverter.
    My LED lights are also installed in the pic, but they take almost no amps to run.
    I'm going to get a sheet of steel cut and bent up to fit over the work bench too, before I mount my tool box to it.
    Wiring will be cleaned up too as I finish up with all my electrical needs. the wire up the right side wall is my FM antenna and the big one on the bench is an iPod connection cable for the head unit.
    So far, I'm in about $200 for what I've done, with the wood, speakers, random electrical supplies and LED lights. The head unit is one that I have had sitting in the garage for 3 years... Found a CD in there once I got power to it lol.

Everything is wired up using a fuse/distribution block with switches to turn everything on and off.

I'll update the progress as I get the trailer ready for the season, but it will be a month or so before I get back to work on it some more.

Re: Enclosed "race" trailer build

Looks good so far, going to be a sweet set up by the sounds of it.
    2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Current
    2004 Suzuki GS500F - Sold

You should think about mounting some indoor/outdoor speakers on the side for when your working outside the trailer, or run a connecting block and bring some small speakers you can throw on the ground. Everybody loves tunes while chilling in the pits.

Lookin good so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT

Quote Originally Posted by N3WMAN View Post
    Everybody loves tunes while chilling in the pits.

depends on the hour of night!! some of us need our beauty sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff-9 View Post
    depends on the hour of night!! some of us need our beauty sleep.
    I'm usually in bed by 11 at the latest at the track. And we have a no noise after 11 rule too, even generators inside RVs have to be turned off... But there always seems to be a pocket of us having a bit of a party with the guys I usually set up with.

I'm not worried too much about outside speakers with it, I had to check how well I could hear it from the outside, and with the doors open it was more than enough to party with.

I'm trying to figure out how to make a quick, simple person set up awning to mount to the man door side of the trailer using angled aluminum. I think I have a decent idea now. My ez-up shelter is just too much of an issue setting up and taking down by myself in the grass.
    Cheaper the better, don't need anything store bought.

Also putting up some form of a screen door at the man door and at the ramp end so I can leave the doors open at night for some cross breeze. Thinking about one of those "as seen on TV" magnetic screen door things. My original idea for a sliding door won't work since the interior light is in the way, and a hinged door would just take up space inside to get in and out.

Was thinking of painting the walls white and giving the floor a coating of maybe some roll it yourself truck bed liner, but I might just keep it natural and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    Also putting up some form of a screen door at the man door and at the ramp end so I can leave the doors open at night for some cross breeze. Thinking about one of those "as seen on TV" magnetic screen door things. My original idea for a sliding door won't work since the interior light is in the way, and a hinged door would just take up space inside to get in and out.
    I bought a roll of screen door replacement mesh from Home Depot, screwed some 1" square wood above both doors then stapled strips of the mesh to them to hang down. Weighted the ends with some more 1" wood strips (also helps me roll them up when not in use) and stapled more velcro to the top piece of wood to tie them up when they're not in use. From memory the mesh is in 3' wide rolls so you only need 1 piece on your side door and 2 pieces on your rear door. Overlap the rear door pieces and run all the strips about a foot too long so you can close a door without having to roll up or move the mesh. Also make sure they roll up and store above the door frames so you're not constantly hitting them. After that I also use one of these;

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

hanging over my bed, and this for my bed;

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...0230921/234926

The mosquito net has 6 or 8 rings on it for hanging so I zip tie it to the roof struts of my trailer and then during the day i can push it out of the way. I hate bugs, but it all works great.

The oversize cot is great, lightweight and packs up into almost as small a bag as a camp chair. You can add a bed roll if you want but i find it comfy enough. After a days riding i usually sleep well. Unless some inconsiderate prick is playing music too loud.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery254 View Post
    I bought a roll of screen door replacement mesh from Home Depot, screwed some 1" square wood above both doors then stapled strips of the mesh to them to hang down. Weighted the ends with some more 1" wood strips (also helps me roll them up when not in use) and stapled more velcro to the top piece of wood to tie them up when they're not in use. From memory the mesh is in 3' wide rolls so you only need 1 piece on your side door and 2 pieces on your rear door. Overlap the rear door pieces and run all the strips about a foot too long so you can close a door without having to roll up or move the mesh. Also make sure they roll up and store above the door frames so you're not constantly hitting them. After that I also use one of these;

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

hanging over my bed, and this for my bed;

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...0230921/234926

The mosquito net has 6 or 8 rings on it for hanging so I zip tie it to the roof struts of my trailer and then during the day i can push it out of the way. I hate bugs, but it all works great.

The oversize cot is great, lightweight and packs up into almost as small a bag as a camp chair. You can add a bed roll if you want but i find it comfy enough. After a days riding i usually sleep well. Unless some inconsiderate prick is playing music too loud.
    LOL was the last sentence a dig at the radio? lol.

I like your idea there for the screen door. I'll look at it as an option too.

I already have one of those cots, it's almost the same as what we get issued. I have a "bug bivy" it's like your own personal cocoon of mesh and keeps the bugs out.
    I like sleeping on my air bed, so I'm gonna try and keep using that... Plus, I never know when I'll have a "guest".

Quote Originally Posted by rmemedic View Post
    LOL was the last sentence a dig at the radio? lol.
    Your 11pm cut off is absolutely fine with me. I have my Palybook or laptop and a portable speaker I use. It's one of the first things I set up when I arrive! It usually goes off around 7pm. Unfortunately not everyone is the same.

With regards the "As seen on TV" magnetic screen, there was a practical reason why I figured they wouldn't work. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was! It was in the middle of last season after i'd been using my own creation for a few days. I think it may have been to do with their width in relation to a trailer rear door width.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

I'll be charging the battery through the week on a charger and then mount it in the trailer before I head for the track. I was originally going to charge it off the truck while I pulled the trailer, but I've done enough reading and come to the conclusion that after a weekend of running from the battery, the truck won't charge it up completely. I'm considering a solar charging system though.

As for charging the battery, If you trailer connects to the trailer with the 7 pin RV conector it should already be set up for charging off the tow vehicle and depending on the length of drive to the track it should charge it up fine. All mentioned except the inverter (not sure of that load) uses next to no power so 1 battery should be good for a weekend. The added advantage, of the tow vehicle hook up is if you do run low, plug it in and you have power pack up if you need it. You can alway idle for a bit of a top up but the 10 gauge wire doesn't promote high speed charge.

As for solar... far cheaper for weekend use to get a spare battery. A decent size solar panel will cost $150+ (if on sale) but a battery will be $70-80 and won't get broken when you bump it.... those little panels that sit on your dash are good for nothing but a warm and fuzzy feeling... they work in milli Amps. 15 whatt would be min but 30 with a controler is better at that sells for $250 at CTC.
    On the other hand, you have different fingers

Derek
    83 V45 Sabre
    Pickering, Ontario

I'll figure something simple out. I have a thermacell mosquito Repellant thing and it will keep the trailer bug free on the bad bug nights when they get by the screen.

If your worried about draining your battery, hook a charger into it via a generator. Charge it during the day while your running your tire warmers ..

The other thing id be worried about is a battery being inside the trailer when sleeping. I would rather mount it on the front of the trailer, and run the wires inside.
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post
    The other thing id be worried about is a battery being inside the trailer when sleeping. I would rather mount it on the front of the trailer, and run the wires inside.
    Very good point, meant to point that out but forgot. Get a battery box and locate on the "A" frame just behine the hitch, good change there is already a space there for it.
    On the other hand, you have different fingers

Derek
    83 V45 Sabre
    Pickering, Ontario

I race mx so I don't need tire warmers or a genny to run them. I think I'll be fine with one battery.

Ill still hook up the battery to charge off the truck, once I get my hands on some #10. New dodge came with a 4 and 7 pin outlet and I have the 7 pin plug that I'll swap over on to the trailer. This makes it easy to wire up reverse lights on the trailer for when I'm arriving to the track late I'll still charge the battery up at home though. And just use the truck as a top up if I need to.
    I picked up the charger tha was on sale at CT this past week along with the 300 W inverter. I don't need the 1500 W that was half off.

3 weeks at least until I get back to finish it up before the season starts.

Jealous
    KODMONKY When you're Happy and you know it...SMILE

remedic, where'd you get the cabinets from ?
    www.thetoyhauler.ca
    Inferno is the new GTAM P.I.M.P.

Quote Originally Posted by infernobuster View Post
    remedic, where'd you get the cabinets from ?
    Came as an option with the trailer. They were thrown in for free as part of a promotion.

If you are using a battery inside the trailer, use a sealed maintenance-free-type battery, not the cheap old flooded type (that can spill or vent acid and let out hydrogen gas into the closed space inside the trailer = kaBOOM)

if the trailer is made from alu magnets will not stick.

if the door frames are made using a ferrous metal you might be able to use a magnetic screen otherwise i recommend velcro
    x

Well, here it is, 99% finished. Last thing to do is to have my buddy sew on some velcro and a zipper to the screening that I have for the door opennings.
    I came up with a really awesome idea for a bed that was also able to turn in to a couch and a bunk bed, but the price for the aluminum to make it was near $200 bucks, so I'll just use my cot and if I need room for 2 I'll just blow up my queen sized air mattress and put it where the bikes ride.

Gotta love stickers and rep the sponsors:

Heres the inside: Epoxy flooring, painted walls, wheel chocks and d rings installed.

Heres the bench with the galvanized top installed, and my tool box mounted:

Here it is loaded up:

Very nicely done. Looks like your ready for year of fun.
    VN9008CF - Candy Lime Green.