FZ1 dual sport

Thread: FZ1 dual sport

FZ1 dual sport

"I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

Re: FZ1 dual sport

That's a nice set-up. The guy definitely has some skills.
    Central America, South America & Africa on DR650's - BLOG
    2005 CBR 600RR - sold
    2007 F650GS - sold
    2008 DR650

That's sooooooo sick!!!!!

But why ?

Quote Originally Posted by jdepp View Post
    But why ?
    why not?
    Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

'cause it's freakin awesome!

I saw a vid on youtube, some guy threw an R6 motor in to an older dirt bike and the thing was absolutely pure nasty!

Cool but retarded at the same time.. It's equivalent to taking 450MX based bike on a drag strip, or even better why not take lambo engine and run it in Dakar. It will spin the wheels in 12th gear.

This is about attention than anything else. Dual sport, yes road and drag strip .... I'd pay to watch the guy suffer through a trail.

Quote Originally Posted by jdepp View Post
    But why ?
    Because he can.

I Like It!

I give him credit for the skills required but it doesn't really make sense. Its not going to get far in anything worse than a gravel road.FZ1 is a nice bike. Seems a shame to chop it up.

I bet it was a crashed donor bike.

I have ridden my FZ1 on un-maintained dirt roads/paths many times with street tires.
    Level and rutted but dry - no problems. Up Hills - rocks, rutted, dry, lots of power needed - no problems. Steep down hill sections - low end torque needed to keep from using either brakes - BIG TIME FAIL. But it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by klr_guy View Post
    why not?
    Hells yes!
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post
    Cool but retarded at the same time.. It's equivalent to taking 450MX based bike on a drag strip, or even better why not take lambo engine and run it in Dakar. It will spin the wheels in 12th gear.

This is about attention than anything else. Dual sport, yes road and drag strip .... I'd pay to watch the guy suffer through a trail.
    Maybe it was meant to be like a multistrada type of bike than a trail bike?

Quote Originally Posted by mxs View Post

If you read the build, he openly states that he built it as an 80% street bike. It pounds out 1000+ mile weekends...you can't do that kind of mileage offroad I am afraid. He never intended it to be a single track killer. It is a road bike that can go just about anywhere.
    Many ADVers are building bikes they wish the manufacturers would build. The manufacturers have to build bikes that the majority will buy.....the few buyers who want something more or less are always buying a compromise. So they make their own idea of what they wish the manufacturers woud build.... they often start with a wrecked bike and use junkyard parts from mre offroadworthy bikes to mod them up...so budget is often a concern too.
    Many of them are using a Versys or 650 Ninja as a base platform, and turning them into spoked wheeled offroadables. This buiilder intended to do just that, but had a hiccup with the 650 Ninja he started with, so he used the next wreck that came along- An FZ1.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Why does something always have to make sense? It looks awesome!!! I bet it's a hoot to ride. If it cost stupid money or took a perfect bike and hacked it apart, I'd think it was nutty. But, if you can fab up something outragous without it costing a bundle and it's put together with some reasonable quality, I can only see the goodness out of the creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    If you read the build, he openly states that he built it as an 80% street bike. It pounds out 1000+ mile weekends...you can't do that kind of mileage offroad I am afraid. He never intended it to be a single track killer. It is a road bike that can go just about anywhere.
    Many ADVers are building bikes they wish the manufacturers would build. The manufacturers have to build bikes that the majority will buy.....the few buyers who want something more or less are always buying a compromise. So they make their own idea of what they wish the manufacturers woud build.... they often start with a wrecked bike and use junkyard parts from mre offroadworthy bikes to mod them up...so budget is often a concern too.
    Many of them are using a Versys or 650 Ninja as a base platform, and turning them into spoked wheeled offroadables. This buiilder intended to do just that, but had a hiccup with the 650 Ninja he started with, so he used the next wreck that came along- An FZ1.
    I kind of agree but disagree I guess. I still don't see how this ride is better then a real ADV bike, plenty of them around. it's not like the 1000cc I4 engine is bringing any advantage to the table opposed to the plenty of 800cc+ twins or triples (with the chassis the way he has it, it's probably disadvantage ...). I doubt he saved money at the end, unless he doesn't value his time.

Anyways, to each of his own ..... even if he does only 20% off-road, I wouldn't want to be in his boots ...