racing suit material

Thread: racing suit material

racing suit material

I have been looking at some new gear this season specifically textile stuff and I have a question for all the racer types....given all these apparent advances in material sciences and such, are there any pro racers that use anything other than full leather suits?....or is it a rules and reg kinda thing, or just that leathers seem to fit snugger and thus less drag?
    "I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

KELOWNA 09 'The big wet one..'

Re: racing suit material

No options here, leather or sit in the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by dricked View Post
    No options here, leather or sit in the stands.
    I can see that, just wondering why?
    "I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." FZ

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

Years ago Herold Ekle ran the 250 GP class in Moto GP with a synthetic suit. Saw the suit at Daytona one year. It was a kevlar/synthetic mix. It worked but the cost was unreal and nobody could fix it.So basically it was not something you could market. What most do not know is a synthetic material only needs 10 percent Kevlar to be called Kevlar! So it can be 90 percent nylon. You won"t know until you crash. A good Kevlar material is tough and in turn exspenisve.So if the price is reasonable,,well that pretty much explains it.
    Cow hide is cow hide weather it's in Pakistan or Bosnia. How you tan it and cut it defines it's quality [as long as the cow is healthy] So most cow hide suits have good leather. How it is assembled is the key. Kangaroo,,well all over the map! Good,bad and ugly! The demand for Kangaroo is greater then the supply,,so buyer be ware.
    Textiles,, do to the huge variance in manufactureing,,,and no standard,, most orgs will not let you on the track. And most are hard to repair and do not crash as well as leather.
    The only rider in 30 + years I have seen on the track with synthetic was Ekle in the early 90's.
    bickleracing@sympatico.ca
    If you PM me it may take longer!

Thanks John, might I also pick your brain for your opinion on the Motoport Kelvar stuff ?

— Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by stevie t View Post
    ....or is it a rules and reg kinda thing,
    You asked

I seem to recall that RACE or the nationals experimentally allowed the use of Kevlar many years ago, but for whatever reason, that was discontinued - probably due to the issues John raised. Right now, it has to be leather. Cow or kangaroo, your choice. Some gloves have kangaroo leather in them. Haven't seen too many leather suits that I am willing to pay for that have kangaroo. Also, I've heard (but not experienced - because I don't want to pay the bill) that kangaroo leather doesn't stand up to getting wet as well as regular leather, and regular leather is a problem enough with that.

The various nylon or synthetic riding gear materials (mesh, Aerostich, etc) are basically only good for one crash and only at low speed, because they melt. Consequently, not allowed.

Not familiar with it but send me some links and I'll see what It looks like.
    Really, pictures don"t tell me anything.What I learn from is crashed stuff. Bottom line is people can make anything look great,
    but when it hits the pavement is when the truth comes out. So my judgment is based on what I have seen after the fact.
    A great design can be flawed by cheap thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    . Also, I've heard (but not experienced - because I don't want to pay the bill) that kangaroo leather doesn't stand up to getting wet as well as regular leather, and regular leather is a problem enough with that.

That probably stems from the fact Kangaroo is traditionally thinner.So getting it wet could make it more vulnerable. I'm not a huge fan of Kangaroo just becasue of the variance in quality in every manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by john bickle View Post
    Not familiar with it but send me some links and I'll see what It looks like.
    Really, pictures don"t tell me anything.What I learn from is crashed stuff. Bottom line is people can make anything look great,
    but when it hits the pavement is when the truth comes out. So my judgment is based on what I have seen after the fact.
    A great design can be flawed by cheap thread!
    My brother-in-law has one of these suits, it has great construction and the warranty is fantastic. Hasn't crash tested it (can't wear it on a track up here) but the information on the site looks pretty impressive:

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=18&Itemid=15

Warranty:
    • To support the claims made by Motoport about Kevlar, and to confirm the protective/long lasting qualities of clothing made from Kevlar, this garment has a 7-year warranty.
    • IF YOU EVER CRASH, AT ANY SPEED, IN A MOTOPORT KEVLAR GARMENT (SUIT, JACKET, PANT, OR SHIRT) AND MOTOPORT CAN'T REPAIR IT, MOTOPORT WILL REPLACE THE GARMENT FOR FREE.

GP-1 Kevlar Suit:

The GP-1 Kevlar Suit is made in the USA, custom for every size rider. The is made entirely out of Stretch Kevlar. It is a one piece suit make for road racing or sportbike riding. Stretch Kevlar doesn't absorb heat like nylon/polyester or leather. Stretch Kevlar is cooler than even perforated leather.
    Motoport's GP-1 and GP-2 Kevlar Suits are the only synthetic apparel approved for road racing. The Kevlar/Dynatec/Lycra blend material is five times stronger than the best competition grade leather. Click on "Save Your Hide" to see more on material tear/abrasion strengths. Click on "Testimonials and read the stories about our customers and how they love their Kevlar Suits.
    We combine the best suit material, over a 2000 pound seam strength, along with best coverage of armor compared to any other road racing suit. This combination makes the GP-1 the most protective road racing suit along with the most comfortable.

Here is a crash report on the motoport stuff

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10919075

— Dr. Seuss