3 days of riding in southern spain

Thread: 3 days of riding in southern spain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 3 days of riding in southern spain

This. Sounds. Amazing.

How difficult/easy is it to rent bikes in Europe?

'08 NINJA 250r
    | Since 2011

Thanks for all the helpful advice! Please keep them coming.

I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures to share, also will be bringing my contour hd helmet cam.

Fz8 is booked for the 3 days. can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjitsu View Post
    This. Sounds. Amazing.

How difficult/easy is it to rent bikes in Europe?
    Very Easy. Just book a date, you pay on pickup and they hold your credit card info as a deposit (around 1000 euro) in case you wreck it or it gets stolen. It usually comes with third party insurance but need to make sure you have your own health insurance coverage.

What rental agency did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Krimesf4i View Post
    Very Easy. Just book a date, you pay on pickup and they hold your credit card info as a deposit (around 1000 euro) in case you wreck it or it gets stolen. It usually comes with third party insurance but need to make sure you have your own health insurance coverage.
    That sounds easy enough. I asked because renting bikes here is harder than buying one.

I really look forward to the pics and your take on riding those winding roads.

'08 NINJA 250r
    | Since 2011

I have been to southern Spain a number of times and I can suggest an alternate route.

Depending on your objective for the motorcycle riding part (seeing the sights versus enjoying the scenery and twisties), from Sevilla (while there, check out the cathedral, the Barrio and be sure to eat at the Las Teresas restaurant in the Barrio, you'll pig out on the finest Serrano ham and Manchego cheese) you could go down to Jerez de la Frontera (try a genuine arabic hammam on a side street next to the cathedral, you'll find it on Google, reservations recommended for the scrubbing and massage, quite an experience!). You could also visit the Sherry (jerez) wineries located there. Then you go on to Cadiz (endless fine sand beach on the Atlantic). From there, follow E-5/N-340 to Tarifa (windsurfing capital!), then on to Gibraltar (the Rock is worth the stop) and finally on your way back to Malaga.

The stretch of coastal road between Cadiz and Gibraltar by way of Tarifa is fairly twisty and very scenic.

The only part you'd be missing is Granada (where the Alhambra is). Your schedule permitting, from Malaga, Granada is an easy day trip there and back (approx 2.5 hrs one way). If you do make it there, visit the Alhambra in the morning (cooler) and make sure to grab lunch on the outside patio at the Parador hotel (right next to the Alhambra) for an amazing view.

In Sevilla, I stayed at the Novotel, with underground garage, 1 km from the Barrio and cathedral, you walk there. In Jerez de la Frontera I stayed at the Hipotels Hotel Sherry Park, very nice and well located near the wineries and the Royal School of Equestrian Arts (also worth a visit if you like horses). In Gibraltar (because Gibraltar proper is a zoo), I stayed just across the bay in Algeciras at the AC Hotel Algeciras, recommended.

Finally, instead of staying in Malaga, big city with a harbour, may I suggest Nerja, 45 minutes east of Malaga, a true typical Andalucian town. There is also a Parador hotel here, perched on the cliff by the sea with amazing views.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!
    Robert
    '02 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    '91 BMW K1 (sold)

The first point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Will Spain be like this?

'08 NINJA 250r
    | Since 2011

^ Not quite ... that's in the Alps (specifically, the Dolomites) - you would be hard pressed to find a substitute for that.

That particular pass looks gnarlier than the pass-roads that I've seen there. Good find.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Passo+M...+Pass&t=m&z=14

I just can't get over how narrow it is. There is no shoulder. What becomes your 'Exit Strategy' in this situation? If a car comes around a corner and doesn't give you any road, it's over. Hopefully Spain will be twisty but wider.

When my GF got back from Italy she said the scooters and motorcycles ripped through the narrow city streets. She said she'd be very uncomfortable being on the back of a bike there. How do you guys find riding in European cities?

'08 NINJA 250r
    | Since 2011