Riding before course date (already registered)

Thread: Riding before course date (already registered)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Riding before course date (already registered)

Quote Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post

But here's a sweet video on countersteering that explains it better than any other I've seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFm3h...e_gdata_player
    I know they will explain this fully in the course but I figured I'd ask it here too -- I've seen/read a LOT on countersteering, and one point still confuses me. When they say 'push left to go left' or 'push right to go right', do they mean push down (or pull up) on that side of the handlebars or do they mean actually push it forwards a little bit (or pull it a little bit) to initiate the lean?

The video link above makes it seem like you just push down on the handlebars, which kinda makes sense based on what I saw in Keith Code's Twist of The Wrist II (DVD) as well -- since on that one they actually bolted bars to the nose/windscreen-area and countersteered with those while leaving the handlebars locked straight/untouched (so obviously those bars couldn't turn at all being bolted to the bike and not the forks).
    I am the Stig's father's brother's cousin's nephew's former roommate.

Bike: 2011 Honda CBR250R ABS - T-Rex Frame Sliders, Sato Spools, Tankslapper Film, TechSpec SS Tankpads, Fastpack Tail Bag
    Cage: 2006 Honda Accord V6 6spd Coupe - AEM V2, HFP Suspension, TL-S Sway, CT Shortshift, Partial Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by conundrum View Post
    I know they will explain this fully in the course but I figured I'd ask it here too -- I've seen/read a LOT on countersteering, and one point still confuses me. When they say 'push left to go left' or 'push right to go right', do they mean push down (or pull up) on that side of the handlebars or do they mean actually push it forwards a little bit (or pull it a little bit) to initiate the lean?

The video link above makes it seem like you just push down on the handlebars, which kinda makes sense based on what I saw in Keith Code's Twist of The Wrist II (DVD) as well -- since on that one they actually bolted bars to the nose/windscreen-area and countersteered with those while leaving the handlebars locked straight/untouched (so obviously those bars couldn't turn at all being bolted to the bike and not the forks).
    yeah it means push the bar a little down, your basically LEANING to turn (countersteering) instead of TURNING the handle bars but when you lean its as if your TURNING your handle bars the other way . . . once your over 15 km/h you'll see lmao you can do it on a bicycle going down hill
    09 Ninja 250 (Nov 2011)
    Loo for school
    Join upp Group Rides Facebook

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Quote Originally Posted by Bweixz View Post
    yeah it means push the bar a little down, your basically LEANING to turn (countersteering) instead of TURNING the handle bars but when you lean its as if your TURNING your handle bars the other way . . . once your over 15 km/h you'll see lmao you can do it on a bicycle going down hill
    Hmm ok, with it being warm this weekend I might break out the bicycle and try it lol. One other thing I read (I think it was in Lee Park's Total Control) was that after initiating the lean you then still do turn the handlebars (slightly) in the direction you want to go)? That's what confused me, in that if you do push the handlebars forward (or pull them) to countersteer, then as soon as you actually turn in the direction you want to go, wouldn't it pull it out of the countersteer/lean?

If all you do is push down (on right to go right or left to go left) then turn the bars slightly (turn to the right to go right and turn to the left to go left) as you would at low speed, just nowhere near as much, then stop pushing down and straighten the bars to come out of the corner, all this makes more sense lol.
    I am the Stig's father's brother's cousin's nephew's former roommate.

Bike: 2011 Honda CBR250R ABS - T-Rex Frame Sliders, Sato Spools, Tankslapper Film, TechSpec SS Tankpads, Fastpack Tail Bag
    Cage: 2006 Honda Accord V6 6spd Coupe - AEM V2, HFP Suspension, TL-S Sway, CT Shortshift, Partial Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by conundrum View Post
    Hmm ok, with it being warm this weekend I might break out the bicycle and try it lol. One other thing I read (I think it was in Lee Park's Total Control) was that after initiating the lean you then still do turn the handlebars (slightly) in the direction you want to go)? That's what confused me, in that if you do push the handlebars forward (or pull them) to countersteer, then as soon as you actually turn in the direction you want to go, wouldn't it pull it out of the countersteer/lean?

If all you do is push down (on right to go right or left to go left) then turn the bars slightly (turn to the right to go right and turn to the left to go left) as you would at low speed, just nowhere near as much, then stop pushing down and straighten the bars to come out of the corner, all this makes more sense lol.
    You're over-thinking this, which is the main problem with counter steering in general. It will make sense when you hop on the bike and just DO it.
    2008 HD Sportster XL1200L
    2006 Ninja 650R
    1982 Honda CB125S
    2000 Suzuki GZ250
    2001 Tomos Targa