Radar errors

Thread: Radar errors

Radar errors

Hypothetical question I have regarding radar gun errors.

If someone got a speeding ticket, and then went to the place where the radar gun reading was taken, and saw that there were not only branches from trees interferring with a clear shot but also light poles, etc (things that are static and not moving objects).

Could said person plea that the radar gun reading was an error? Even if the reading on the gun did say the person was going over the speed limit?

Further, if someone was driving in front of a large mass of traffic (say a single car driving about 1/2 km in front of 5 full lanes of cars about 5 cars deep), that a radar operator could easily mistake the car in front as speeding when in reality it was one of, or all of the cars directly behind the first car?

Appreciate the advice to my hypothetical question.
    Happiness isn't around the corner, happiness IS the corner

Instructor @ Learning Curves

Re: Radar errors

Quote Originally Posted by wearelopey View Post
    Hypothetical question I have regarding radar gun errors.

If someone got a speeding ticket, and then went to the place where the radar gun reading was taken, and saw that there were not only branches from trees interferring with a clear shot but also light poles, etc (things that are static and not moving objects).

Could said person plea that the radar gun reading was an error? Even if the reading on the gun did say the person was going over the speed limit?

Further, if someone was driving in front of a large mass of traffic (say a single car driving about 1/2 km in front of 5 full lanes of cars about 5 cars deep), that a radar operator could easily mistake the car in front as speeding when in reality it was one of, or all of the cars directly behind the first car?

Appreciate the advice to my hypothetical question.

As per non-moving objects in the way, I would guess if the radar gun picked up a speed then they were obviously not in the way.

With a single car that much in front of the pack I would assume he could get a clear reading, But if you were side by side with another car, I saw a guy beat that in court as he said he was being passed by the other car and how did the cop know which car he actually radared and he won.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

The radar actually absorbs through tress and will pick up the fastest or largest moving object. A laser is aimed directly at the car so you are basically buggared!

was it radar or lidar?