Need Help! Simple Stator Change turned into a Disaster

Thread: Need Help! Simple Stator Change turned into a Disaster

Exclamation Need Help! Simple Stator Change turned into a Disaster

I had to change the stator on my 02 R6. I took the cover off, swapped stators, was reinstalling it and I stripped one of the holes. i searched the internet and found this product called "Permatex Stripped thread Repair Kit", I did as the instructions told me. and when I went to take the bolt out so the epoxy could cure, the bolt snapped. I tried getting the bolt out with a pair of vice grips but no luck.

Does any one have any suggestions for how I can fix my problem.

2002 Yamaha R6
    Americana Soft Seats Costom Gelled Seat
    Hindle Slip-on, K&N Air FilterProton Flush Mount Signals
    Red Rim Stripe
    8k HIDs

Re: Need Help! Simple Stator Change turned into a Disaster

cut a notch in it with a dremel tool and use flat head screw driver

First try grabbing the bolt with vice grips and heat the area with a propane torch it will probably come out just be careful what is getting hot, use good vise grips and make sure they are locked on very tight. If you have a welder slide a nut over the stripped bolt and weld it on it. Then get a helicoil kit and fix it right.
    If all else fails just put it back on and seal up the cover with flange sealant

Canadian tire has a tool called EZ-out for like $5, Its just a reverse drill bit, you drill a small hole in the middle of the bolt and stick the bit in and screw it out.
    I did the same thing when I was replacing my stator cover and this worked for me.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    Canadian tire has a tool called EZ-out for like $5, Its just a reverse drill bit, you drill a small hole in the middle of the bolt and stick the bit in and screw it out.
    I did the same thing when I was replacing my stator cover and this worked for me.
    If that thing snaps while its in the bolt, you're screwed. I'd try with vise grips first, notch with Dremel 2nd.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    If that thing snaps while its in the bolt, you're screwed. I'd try with vise grips first, notch with Dremel 2nd.
    Yeah that would suck, The ez-out would be hard to snap but the small drill bit needed to pre-drill would be very easy to snap.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

The dremel should work, usually on stuff I don't care much about (lawnmowers, etc) when this sort of thing happens I grab a torch heat up the aluminium which will expand more than the metal stud. Unsure if I would on anything I truely value but it has worked for me in the past.

E-mail Permatex and see if they have any suggestions. I recently dealt with a similar problem. Some genius had used SEALANT instead of thread locker on two front fender screws. Every trick got thrown at it, without success. Those "grabits" worked well enough--to twist off the exposed screw. PB Blaster couldn't get past the sealant, obviously. In the end, the forks needed to be removed so I could use a drill press to remove the broken, now recessed shafts. Even drilled out to the threads, they were STUCK. Using a tap eventually pushed the remains out and saved the threaded holes.

It's amazing how tenacious those cheap fasteners can be when they're not rounding off or stripping. When drilling, use Cobalt Steel bits. Those Titanium Nitride coated ones will snap readily.
    Last edited by Flywheel; 03-01-2012 at 11:00 PM.

You need the vise grips to be tight to get it out.
    If all else fails, get a small grind wheel for a dremel and grind the bolt flat so u can get a better grip w/ the vise grip. Make it flat instead of circular. Not too much cuz u would wear the strength of the bolt.

Hope I'm making sense here
    Resident Loudmouth

I fix this all the time (mechanic) The easy way to do it is to weld a nut to that and un bolt it like said.

DO NOT USE AN EASY OUT! if you think you have had troule so far thats nothing compaired to removing an easy out.

Quote Originally Posted by zeniceguy View Post
    I fix this all the time (mechanic) The easy way to do it is to weld a nut to that and un bolt it like said.

DO NOT USE AN EASY OUT! if you think you have had troule so far thats nothing compaired to removing an easy out.
    Not everybody has a welder
    Resident Loudmouth

most are some what portable, most people have a buddy with one.

Also I think you can get a cheap one from princess auto for 80/90 bucks and you can use it for other stuff.

its just the easyest, also if you leave close to a shop you could push her over and get them to do it.

thanks for all the help, I attempted cutting a slot in it with the dremel and this did not work, would not budge. I didn't want to put any heat to it with a torch for fear something else might be affected.
    I ended up taking it to Riders Choice and Jeff there lead me to a Machine shop that works on bikes called Bain Machine in Brampton and got him to take it out and re thread it.
    also another disaster that happened was while trailering to the shop, the front bracket that holds the head lights, cluster and front fairing, broke off. The guy there at Bain Machine was able to weld it back together. He also told me that I need 2 new sprockets and a chain.
    hmmm who knew buying a used bike would have come with so many issues (minor ones thank god).

again thanks everyone for all the help.

Cheers,
    Geoff
    2002 Yamaha R6
    Red Rim Stripe
    8k HIDs

Quote Originally Posted by gjones4487 View Post
    hmmm who knew buying a used bike would have come with so many issues (minor ones thank god).

Cheers,
    Geoff
    That's why they are cheaper. They're not for everyone.
    Most ppl just buy a newer one
    Resident Loudmouth

thanks for all the help, I attempted cutting a slot in it with the dremel and this did not work, would not budge. I didn't want to put any heat to it with a torch for fear something else might be affected.
    I ended up taking it to Riders Choice and Jeff there lead me to a Machine shop that works on bikes called Bain Machine in Brampton and got him to take it out and re thread it.
    also another disaster that happened was while trailering to the shop, the front bracket that holds the head lights, cluster and front fairing, broke off. The guy there at Bain Machine was able to weld it back together. He also told me that I need 2 new sprockets and a chain.

Cheers,
    Geoff
    come on now, working on old bikes is fun.....LOL

I feel your pain, I have one broken bolt where the exhaust is connected, and a broken bolt for the oil cover, both now have been welded up, but need to be drilled and tapped, glad that is the biggest issue I have run into....

Last edited by GateKeeper; 03-06-2012 at 09:37 AM.
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250
    1983 Suzuki GS750E - Rebuild Project

He also told me that I need 2 new sprockets and a chain.
    If you haven't bought your chain and sprockets already I recommend Tony at Bluestreak Racing! Cheap prices, quality parts, crazy fast shipping! Someone local to you can give you a hand putting the chain together (need a special tool), as well as axle nut sockets, etc I would also flush the coolant out and put new stuff in, oil and filter change, check the brake pads and the condition of the fluid (if you're replacing the pads, do a brake fluid flush anyway). Look carefully at the condition of the brake lines, if there are any tiny cracks in the hose or if the brakes feel very soft and mushy, replace the lines with a nice braided set (Tony @ Bluestreak can help you with that too).

Good luck with your "new" bike!!

-Jamie M.
    Scarborough group ride 4.0! Every Sunday, 1:30, Timmies at KC!!! Facebook group!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
    In any case what difference does it make where you reduce the amount of teeth in a sprocket, front or rear? The effect will be the same. Most change the front sprocket because it's easier to source that sprocket. It's apparent, sprockets are not your strong suit.
    ^^^ OMG ROFL!!! ^^^

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...

Oil and Filter Change already done, that's the first thing I did when I started takin her apart, Coolant as well. Chain and Sprockets are covered my dad's buddy owns a shop called "Bent Bikes" and he's getting me parts(Sprockets and Chain) for near cost.

And yes bikes are fun to work on, its been keeping me occupied when I'm not at school, or one of my 2 Jobs lol
    2002 Yamaha R6
    Red Rim Stripe
    8k HIDs