flooded engine question

Thread: flooded engine question

flooded engine question

hey have a quick question, im in the process of looking at a bike. owner says it was taken out of storage and

"...it started on the second round of cranking and sounded amazing..."

i have no idea what that means, i tried searching and google it, all i came up with something about flooded engine?
    can someone clarify if this is normal after its been stored for a long time and it is the first initial start?

its a ninja 250 with 12-13km if it helps.

thanks!

Re: flooded engine question

I'm thinking that it means that the bike started after the second time he/she hit the ignition button. Coming out of storage, that isn't uncommon. Fuel needs to get into the carb, et al. If the engine flooded it would be a bit of a ***** to start likely followed by pretty amazing sounding back firing.

Re: flooded engine question

A carbureted bike that has sat for any length of time is not likely to start on the first try. Some can be tricky to get the choke just right as well. It's been pretty common for me to take 4-5 attempts to get my bikes started in the sping after a winter of sitting in the garage.

Fuel injection is a different story. I only found out last year that you can flood an FI system. I couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong until a friend came up, twisted the throttle wide open, hit the starter and it fired right up after I'd been trying unsuccessfully for 5 minutes. Very embarassing.
    2010 BMW S1000RR