Aprilia sxv 550

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aprilia sxv 550

Aprilia sxv 550

Whats everyones view on a Aprilia Sxv 550, Owners of this bike i would love to hear from you, I'm thinking of getting one just to goof around on and maybe take to te track from time to time,

Awesome bike, early ones had some teething problems but nothing serious (unlike the 450)

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fidsuu
    2007.5 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (Street, Many mods)
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (AM SuperBike)
    2008 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (CDN SuperBike)
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F
    http://www.kingstonriders.org/

Re: Aprilia sxv 550

Check that out the maintenance schedule!

I heard that the 550 had engines blowing up

Almost bought one several years ago but changed my mind after hearing about the motors grenading

The 450s had an issue and the 550s had a service / maintenance bulletin issue, somewhere along the line, the published oil capacity was WRONG. But I've read a fair bit on the subject, was looking at the 550 myself. General consensus is that post-2007 bikes are great.
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F

Now we get to the fun part price. I see used one in the 8k plus mark yet I see new at the dealer for 10k what gives. Are these peopledreamer ???? I find 08 for 8500 wtf gives

Used market in Ontario. What else is new?

Riding it on the street, I would forget it. Track only, yep, could be fun.

what sort of a track would you put an sxv 450 on?...i would think even tmp would be too big though ive seen people ride sm on it...
    For sale, 2007 Aprilia SXV 450 Supermoto
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...prilia-sxv-450

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    what sort of a track would you put an sxv 450 on?...i would think even tmp would be too big though ive seen people ride sm on it...

Mosport RDT, one of the small shanny tracks would work.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    TMP for sure is big enough. Tons of SM 450s there ripping it up and pretty good at that. And other configs at Shannonville or Mosport.

Quote Originally Posted by padu View Post
    Whats everyones view on a Aprilia Sxv 550, Owners of this bike i would love to hear from you, I'm thinking of getting one just to goof around on and maybe take to te track from time to time,
    It's not an every day street bike. If that's what you're considering it for, forget it!
    all my posts are serious; internet is serious business

What intrigued me about the Sxv was the 2 cylinders. I dont believe anyone else has ever done that in a dirt bike. I remember looking at a brand new one at envy rides before they closed. I believe it was on sale for around 7k. I thought I also read that when the motors grenaded they weren't fixable and aprilia was sending the dealers new motors as replacements. That's great when under warranty but what about after ?

Long and short of it is that somehow the dealers got the wrong oil capacity for the motors. Aprilia Forums have the information you are looking for. After that stupid stunt, the bikes have been as reliable as anyone else's.
    2008 Kawasaki KX 450F

Are you sure about this? I mean I followed the bike quite close up until 2010 .... it seemed to be about a wrong sealant between engine casings. So it started to leak internally and the engines self destructed. The general consensus was that the ones with orange sealant were ok, the other ones needed to be replaced. So I am surprised to read about oil capacity .... I mean some of the engines were gone shortly after delivery and it was happening across the US, so likelihood of everyone getting oil capacity wrong ... is low?

But I can see how this could lead to the failures, I am just surprised that oil capacity was the root cause. Expensive print mistake, somebody should have been fired for.

Who cares about reliability?

RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

RACE #36
    2011 CRF450R SM

Cause the motor needs to work to do any of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
    Long and short of it is that somehow the dealers got the wrong oil capacity for the motors. Aprilia Forums have the information you are looking for. After that stupid stunt, the bikes have been as reliable as anyone else's.
    I think it was a lot more serious then that, my friend worked at a dealer and he swapped out a ton of SXV motors under warranty...The problem was so bad they weren't even trying to fix them, complete replacement motors were being sent in crates to be completely swapped out...Even if the engine wasnt blown or producing signs of a problem, it was still replaced

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    Cause the motor needs to work to do any of that?
    LOL ... you might have a point.