PlayStation Vita: To buy or not to buy...

Thread: PlayStation Vita: To buy or not to buy...

PlayStation Vita: To buy or not to buy...

The good:

Vibrant 5" OLED HD touch display
    Portable powerhouse
    dual analog sticks
    Wifi/3G
    Front and back Cameras
    Rear touchpad
    Free online
    Built in GPS/Skype/Internet browser/social media apps
    PS3 connectivity

The bad:

Expensive (249 wifi only, 299 wifi/3G)
    Somewhat bulky
    Piano black finish is a greasy fingerprint magnet (WTF you thinking Sony? This is a portable device...)
    Limited game selection right now
    Expensive accessories
    Battery is not user removable
    3G only allows for social media apps and web browsing (WTF again...no online gaming over 3G??)
    3G not released in Canada yet
    No video output (Come on...even the PSP has this)

I summed up the major positives and negatives but am still on the fence myself in regards to purchasing it. It sucks we have no 3G in Canada but now I have second thoughts whether 3G is even worth it.
    In the US the minimum 250mb plan is 14.99 and I expect to get raped harder in Canada like we always do from our service providers when the 3G version is eventually released. The fact that you can't play online over 3G defeats the purpose...how many people want an extra monthly bill just for stupid apps on a PS Vita when most of us already have smartphones with data?
    Its possible they could eventually change this and add many new features via a software update but who knows what they have planned.
    I have a $250 Staples gift card and was thinking of picking one up but don't know if I should just wait...My interest in the PSP has recently been revived and I've picked up some good games I've missed out on for dirt cheap. Playing that has me eventually wanting a Vita but I don't know if I should go for it now or at a later date. I have nothing else to buy from Staples other than a HDTV for my room, currently I play on a 22" HD monitor and was looking at something in the 32-40" range.

Re: PlayStation Vita: To buy or not to buy...

Wait 3-4 months its either going to drop in price or come as a package deal for the same price, I was at EB on Saturday buying a game and i talked to the guy there he said the same thing.

My cousin has had one for a while now (EB managers got demo units way in advance) so he has extensive use out of the thing and tried the games. He said if he didn't get it for free he would not have bought one.
    2012 Ducati Monster 696

Quote Originally Posted by budgetracing View Post
    My cousin has had one for a while now (EB managers got demo units way in advance) so he has extensive use out of the thing and tried the games. He said if he didn't get it for free he would not have bought one.
    they get to keep them forever?? what a lucky sob...

I'd say if you really want it wait for a price drop. I remember when I bought a PSP around launch. I spent a lot and and the thing ended up getting such crappy support from Sony I regretted the purchase after a year or so. So I'd say wait.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

I love my PSP (great for long flights) and like the look of the Vita but what about a UMD drive for us existing PSP owners? I never bought the "Go" because there was no way I could port my existing UMD games over to the Go and would have to buy everything over again. I also rarely buy a game new, there are enough used games floating around cheap. I resent the Go forcing me to always buy "new" and having to re-buy games I already own.

If there's no way for me to copy my UMD games over to the Vita then there's no way I'm buying one. I'll stick with the PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by DarylinAjax View Post
    I love my PSP (great for long flights) and like the look of the Vita but what about a UMD drive for us existing PSP owners? I never bought the "Go" because there was no way I could port my existing UMD games over to the Go and would have to buy everything over again. I also rarely buy a game new, there are enough used games floating around cheap. I resent the Go forcing me to always buy "new" and having to re-buy games I already own.

If there's no way for me to copy my UMD games over to the Vita then there's no way I'm buying one. I'll stick with the PSP.
    dude its the next generation and UMD as a format is dead...How often do you find yourself playing PS2 games on the PS3? I have a launch 60gb model and barely ever used the backwards compatibility. I'm not too interested in playing 5+ year old games on a next gen system. If you have already have a PSP for PSP games why are you hating on the Vita...and If you really want you can download most PS1/PS2/PSP games from the PSN onto your Vita for 10-20 bucks. Not too bad if theres a classic you'd really like to play...

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
    dude its the next generation and UMD as a format is dead...How often do you find yourself playing PS2 games on the PS3? I have a launch 60gb model and barely ever used the backwards compatibility. I'm not too interested in playing 5+ year old games on a next gen system. If you have already have a PSP for PSP games why are you hating on the Vita...and If you really want you can download most PS1/PS2/PSP games from the PSN onto your Vita for 10-20 bucks. Not too bad if theres a classic you'd really like to play...
    Wish my PS3 was backward compatible....I bought a copy of Tourist Trophy and it didn't work lol

Game is supposed to be pretty sick
    Current: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
    Past: 2005 Ducati S2R 800 Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    Wish my PS3 was backward compatible....I bought a copy of Tourist Trophy and it didn't work lol

Game is supposed to be pretty sick
    TT IS TITS!!!!

i have heard only uncharted is really worth playing and it's 'okay'. There is tekken vs street fighter coming out, and i don't know of any other games that interest me .

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
    The good:

Vibrant 5" OLED HD touch display
    Portable powerhouse
    dual analog sticks
    Wifi/3G
    Front and back Cameras
    Rear touchpad
    Free online
    Built in GPS/Skype/Internet browser/social media apps
    PS3 connectivity

The bad:

Expensive (249 wifi only, 299 wifi/3G)
    Somewhat bulky
    Piano black finish is a greasy fingerprint magnet (WTF you thinking Sony? This is a portable device...)
    Limited game selection right now
    Expensive accessories
    Battery is not user removable
    3G only allows for social media apps and web browsing (WTF again...no online gaming over 3G??)
    3G not released in Canada yet
    No video output (Come on...even the PSP has this)

I summed up the major positives and negatives but am still on the fence myself in regards to purchasing it. It sucks we have no 3G in Canada but now I have second thoughts whether 3G is even worth it.
    In the US the minimum 250mb plan is 14.99 and I expect to get raped harder in Canada like we always do from our service providers when the 3G version is eventually released. The fact that you can't play online over 3G defeats the purpose...how many people want an extra monthly bill just for stupid apps on a PS Vita when most of us already have smartphones with data?
    Its possible they could eventually change this and add many new features via a software update but who knows what they have planned.
    I have a $250 Staples gift card and was thinking of picking one up but don't know if I should just wait...My interest in the PSP has recently been revived and I've picked up some good games I've missed out on for dirt cheap. Playing that has me eventually wanting a Vita but I don't know if I should go for it now or at a later date. I have nothing else to buy from Staples other than a HDTV for my room, currently I play on a 22" HD monitor and was looking at something in the 32-40" range.
    Did you get it? Worth it?

I will wait a little while to see how well it's supported. I bought a 3DS because the auto-stereoscopic screen seemed cool, but after about a week I remembered I'm 31 years old and not 8. It now collects dust.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk

I am waiting. I want them to be able to do cross platform play, so I can play my friends on Fifa12 on a vita with someone on a PS3. All the launch games are okay, nothing I would flip over.

__________________________________________________ ____________________
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    with a Two Bros Exhaust, X-TRE
    2010 GSXR-1000 (SOLD)
    2007 GSXR-600 (SOLD)

"I hate when people fight over the internet... OOO whatcha going to do, caps lock me to death..."