Looking for foot shifting video

Thread: Looking for foot shifting video

Looking for foot shifting video

I've been looking for a video that shows the proper technique in moving you feet from the riding position (ball on the foot on the peg) to shifting and vice versa. Something that shows amount of time you stay in the pre-shift position before moving back into riding position, or any other details... Can anyone share a link?

Thanks!

Re: Looking for foot shifting video

This isn't something that is set in stone and will vary for each rider.

I personally like staying on the balls of my feet as often and as quick as I can, others might like to keep their arch on the pegs at all times and ready to shift.

Techniques like these are learned with time, just like gripping your knees with the tank. You know what the proper technique is (balls of your feet on the pegs), now get out there and practice, practice, practice until it becomes second nature
    Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

I've been taught by my instructors & experience to always keep it on the ball because if your pegs are low enough and/or you've got a big foot, you're gonna be scraping it and bending it back when you go around a turn too deep. Happened to my on my 125 and it hyper extended my foot back causing me to walk all funny for a bit. Think of it as someone kicking your knees back the way they don't normally go...but on your ankle.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
    Current: '90 GSXR 750
    2nd: '08 Suzuki GS500F (SOLD)
    [Yoshimura TRS Slip-on; K&N Hi-Flo filter; Fenderectomy; Sprockets (F -1/15T-JT | R +2/46T-Driven) ; Renthal Gold Chain; AVON AV45/46 tyres (17K kms and counting) ]
    1st: '08 Honda CBR125R (SOLD)
    [Arrow Slip-on]

"Four wheels carries your body; two wheels carries your soul."
    "I don't ride to be seen, I ride to disappear."

I've been practising in keeping the ball of my foot on the peg, but at the beginning I felt awkward in moving it forward to shift position and then back. For some reason I was shaking my bike too much, and when moving my foot back my boot was getting stuck on the peg and moving it up. But the more I ride the easier and seamless it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by victorbrca View Post
    I've been practising in keeping the ball of my foot on the peg, but at the beginning I felt awkward in moving it forward to shift position and then back. For some reason I was shaking my bike too much, and when moving my foot back my boot was getting stuck on the peg and moving it up. But the more I ride the easier and seamless it gets.
    thats the key.
    i was out of a bike for most of last season. when i got back on the bike, i was riding like a total noob.(still am in some cases) took me a few rides to get back to my comfort zone.
    still a noob.

Need prescription eyeglasses? contact me.

You may also want to look into proper riding boots/shoes. The soles make a huge difference! If you're using steel toes, the tread pattern underneath may be what's causing your foot to stick.

I know my TCX X-Square boots have a flat sole like most riding shoes.

Ecto • 2006 Honda VeeFourRoad 800A (Pearl Black)
    I'm too sexy for my turban.

I don't know why that was happening actually... I have a pair of alpinestars SMX-5 (white, power rangers style)

Quote Originally Posted by jay-d View Post
    You may also want to look into proper riding boots/shoes. The soles make a huge difference! If you're using steel toes, the tread pattern underneath may be what's causing your foot to stick.

I don't know why that was happening actually... I have a pair of alpinestars SMX-5 (white, power rangers style)
    I also have a pair of SMX-5's, its my first season riding but I'm not having a problem with shifting. I think its just something you got to get used to.

nice shoes i want those.... waterproof or no?
    Last edited by kanabis; 02-29-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by jay-d View Post

Do you have a picture of proper riding boots? Those appear to be high top runners. Be real sore if you take a rock in the shin with those.

For the original poster you might want to look at adjusting the shift lever. What sort of issues are you having? Is it too far a stretch to shift up? Is it too narrow to get your boot into the gap? Is the lever too far away from your toe?
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

You have got to be joking. Go ride your bike and shift gears. You'll figure it out. This isn't rocket brain science surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazon
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT

Quote Originally Posted by N3WMAN View Post
    You have got to be joking. Go ride your bike and shift gears. You'll figure it out. This isn't rocket brain science surgery.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...=1#post1738094

Or is it? Maybe her shifter is messed up like your levers were. Adjustments are a little more complicated than tightening a bolt...
    Last edited by Baggsy; 03-01-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...=1#post1738094

Or is it? Maybe her shifter is messed up like your levers were. Adjustments are a little more complicated than tightening a bolt...
    I don't understand what you're trying to get at.
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT

Quote Originally Posted by N3WMAN View Post
    I don't understand what you're trying to get at.
    You come across with the "You have got to be joking" comment, oozing with self-righteousness and pomposity, at something that may be a mechanical problem, and yet have trouble tightening a bolt?

Come on, be a helpful to the newcomers, and don't jump down their throats.

Everyone has their own strengths, even you and I.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    You come across with the "You have got to be joking" comment, oozing with self-righteousness and pomposity, at something that may be a mechanical problem, and yet have trouble tightening a bolt?

Come on, be a helpful to the newcomers, and don't jump down their throats.

Everyone has their own strengths, even you and I.
    He asked about a video for foot positioning. There is nothing mechanical about that.

Also, I didn't have trouble tightening a bolt. I didn't tighten it at all. However, I did have the foresight to figure out how to find another bolt and fix it, rather than post on GTAM for a video on how to hold an allen key.
    N3WMAN is my ride
    2006 ZX-6R PART OUT

Of course I can just pick up my bike and go ride and figure things on my own... but with that also come bad habits... Now why would I want to do that when I can ask questions to more experience people here? Being a new rider, it will be a lot easier to learn the right way now than having to correct myself after.

Baggsy, I'm not sure why my foot was getting caught on the peg or why I was shaking so much. I was able to overcome that, but I still think there is a lot of room for improvement. I found this video from one of the links on the thread you posted... I think this might help me.

Sportbike Wrench- Adjusting Foot Controls