Secondary Rider - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Secondary Rider

Re: Secondary Rider

Quote Originally Posted by mattcanada View Post
    So how many other 20 (almost 21 year olds) do you know are paying less than 500$ per year? Oh and did I mention that's for me AND my dad, full coverage 1 mill... Cause I don't think that's gonna be anywhere near what it would be for just me considering what other people post that are near my age bracket. Unless hyosungs are super low to insure compared to ninjas
    How often do u ride the bike though?

I ride it quite regularly, not sure what the insurance has as the "official number" but I am registered on the insurance

I ride it quite regularly, not sure what the insurance has as the "official number" but I am registered on the insurance
    oo okok that pretty sick.

Confused about the first few replies.. I have a buddy who is under his parents policy and he rides their bikes all the time as the secondary rider and he pays the difference of $30 a month.

I somehow doubt if it goes by highest risk rider as if it were just him insuring himself if he's paying such little difference. For the record his parents have both been riding longer than he's been alive, have rode the world literally.. I really don't think their sport touring bikes are going to cost them so much that their son with a fresh M2 would only be paying 30 more a month...

Jevco tends to rate for the highest rated rider, but as few members have pointed out, other companies might have different arrangements. That's why it's always best to call your agent/broker/company and find out for sure. I can imagine how parents might have their two cruiser bikes packaged together with their home and auto insurance, and then their kid gets an M2 - wouldn't be fair at all to force him to be principal rider.

Also just to be clear - it's the insurance companies that make the rules of who to list on a policy. There's no law here that states that someone in the household with a licence must be insured under a certain policy. As far as the legal system goes, if the car or bike have a valid pink slip (insurance), and you have a valid licence, and you are using the vehicle with consent from owner (i.e. not stolen) - you are "legally" ok in every way. BUT, should something happen on the road, and you need the insurance company to help you out - then it's a whole other story. Now the ball is in their court and if you didn't play by the rules they can make the claim process very difficult, not to mention ruining your insurance record and dragging you through court if it's a big claim.

General rule then is, if someone lives in your house and has a licence, the insurance company must be made aware of them. If they live elsewhere and might use the bike/car occasionally (occasionally in this case for me means 1 to 5 times a month), there shouldn't really be a reason to disclose them. Just always remember that regardless of who's behind the wheel - if a claim occurs, it goes on both the driver's and the vehicle owner's records - so always think twice about lending out your bike or car.
    Aleks Hara - Registered Insurance Broker
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

AHARA@CSIB.ORG
    T:416-798-8001 ext 311
    T:1-888-768-8001 ext 311
    F:905-264-5178

"Cornerstone - Your broker of choice - We make it simple!"

My SF agent told me otherwise. She said i will require 5 years with my g class license to be on a motorcycle policy regardless if i was primary or secondary. Confirm with another statefarm agent. You dont want to be misinformed and be screwed over.

hey matt what insurance company are you with right now?

I'm with TD MM atm