Secondary Rider

Thread: Secondary Rider

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Secondary Rider

Is it possible for me to go under insurance with my mom as a secondary rider on a kawasaki ninja 400r?

info:
    Mom:
    47 years old
    has had G license for over 20 years
    Just got m2

Me:
    18 Years old
    Just got my G
    Just got m2

Re: Secondary Rider

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Is it possible for me to go under insurance with my mom as a secondary rider on a kawasaki ninja 400r?

info:
    Mom:
    47 years old
    has had G license for over 20 years
    Just got m2

Me:
    18 Years old
    Just got my G
    Just got m2
    Anything is possible, this is just about money.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

The insurance rate will be as per the highest risk rider. Due to your age and experience the insurance will rise to what you would pay if you went to insure the bike yourself. Doesnt matter if you only ride once in a while.

So in otherwords yes its possible but it'll be expensive.

18 year old trying to insure a 400 ninja is gonna cost.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

The answers are as stated above and the question has been asked many times.
    The rate is based on the highest risk drivers / riders living where the vehicle is garaged. Messing with that is fraud and everyone involved could end up being black listed and having to go to facility insurance.

ooo okok, so basically im better off just insuring the bike myself then right?

ooo okok, so basically im better off just insuring the bike myself then right?
    Pretty much. Its not going to be a difference cost wise and you only risk getting denied a claim for fraud if its all registered at your moms place and you crash it in another city. Specially if you are found to be the primary rider.

I would start calling insurance companies so you know what you are looking at cost wise.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    The insurance rate will be as per the highest risk rider. Due to your age and experience the insurance will rise to what you would pay if you went to insure the bike yourself. Doesnt matter if you only ride once in a while.

So in otherwords yes its possible but it'll be expensive.

18 year old trying to insure a 400 ninja is gonna cost.
    I did this with my dad, we shared a gs500 when i was 18, we both paid 70 bucks a month with state farm. Not exactly that pricey, and the agent had no problem with it.
    Last edited by boarder360; 02-29-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Current
    2004 Suzuki GS500F - Sold

Might as not bother going on your moms insurance and just ride the bike anyway. You'll be covered under her insurance if something were to happen. If you had your own policy on something else you could transfer if you were found at fault in the accident

Quote Originally Posted by Drake_Demi View Post
    Might as not bother going on your moms insurance and just ride the bike anyway. You'll be covered under her insurance if something were to happen. If you had your own policy on something else you could transfer if you were found at fault in the accident

Bad advice alert.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Hey I'm just saying what my insurance told me. So long as the owner of the bike has insurance, and you don't have any, it goes under the owner of the bikes insurance. You can then transfer it onto your car insurance

Hey I'm just saying what my insurance told me. So long as the owner of the bike has insurance, and you don't have any, it goes under the owner of the bikes insurance. You can then transfer it onto your car insurance
    But with doing that im just screwing up my moms bike insurance lol

The guy is prob thinking you'll ride the bike once in a blue moon. If your caught on it say once a month or once a week then its insurance fraud. But I'm gonna let the insurance experts answer that cus gut tells me you can run into issues even if its once in a blue moon and you crash. I've never ridden someone elses bike without having my own insurance set up.

Just think of it this way....people pay you to insure them then suddenly you have to shell out say $200,000. Aren't you going to do some paperwork and calling to be sure that you don't have an excuse to turn that money down? Specially in a province where insurance fraud is a big issue.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

The guy is prob thinking you'll ride the bike once in a blue moon. If your caught on it say once a month or once a week then its insurance fraud. But I'm gonna let the insurance experts answer that cus gut tells me you can run into issues even if its once in a blue moon and you crash. I've never ridden someone elses bike without having my own insurance set up.

Just think of it this way....people pay you to insure them then suddenly you have to shell out say $200,000. Aren't you going to do some paperwork and calling to be sure that you don't have an excuse to turn that money down? Specially in a province where insurance fraud is a big issue.

The issue arises when you live at the same address as the other person. That is different than letting your buddy ride your bike, which is where that other information comes from.

Nope. That dear Mr Drake is insurance fraud would if you are found guilty of seriously hinders you getting insurance for anything ever again. Unlike tickets which vanish at the 3 year mark, cancelled insurance never does and even getting renters insurance I've been asked if I was ever denied insurance or ever had it cancelled.

Plus now the system is set up so your license has the vehicles registered to you and insurance information. Lovely little thing I found out about when I got a letter from MTO informing me that TD messed up the vin for my car. So a cop knows from just scanning your plates whether or not you have insurance and they love to focus on bikes.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Either way. If I was misinformed or misunderstood the best thing to do in any case is to contact the insurance company and verify any concerns you may have. Ask for the answers you receive in writing.

best thing to do in any case is to contact the insurance company and verify any concerns you may have. Ask for the answers you receive in writing.
    +10000000

Definately. All you can do is call around and get several opinions and go from there.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

That is a very good point. But the absolute BEST thing to do is, don't crash haha

I jsut spoke with an insurance agent from SF, she said that aslong as my mom knows i will be using the bike, it would be ok for me to ride it.
    Double check with her insurance cause I would hate if I gave you wrongful information and something were to happen and you werent covered

Confused about the first few replies.. I have a buddy who is under his parents policy and he rides their bikes all the time as the secondary rider and he pays the difference of $30 a month.

I somehow doubt if it goes by highest risk rider as if it were just him insuring himself if he's paying such little difference. For the record his parents have both been riding longer than he's been alive, have rode the world literally.. I really don't think their sport touring bikes are going to cost them so much that their son with a fresh M2 would only be paying 30 more a month...

Jevco tends to rate for the highest rated rider, but as few members have pointed out, other companies might have different arrangements. That's why it's always best to call your agent/broker/company and find out for sure. I can imagine how parents might have their two cruiser bikes packaged together with their home and auto insurance, and then their kid gets an M2 - wouldn't be fair at all to force him to be principal rider.

Also just to be clear - it's the insurance companies that make the rules of who to list on a policy. There's no law here that states that someone in the household with a licence must be insured under a certain policy. As far as the legal system goes, if the car or bike have a valid pink slip (insurance), and you have a valid licence, and you are using the vehicle with consent from owner (i.e. not stolen) - you are "legally" ok in every way. BUT, should something happen on the road, and you need the insurance company to help you out - then it's a whole other story. Now the ball is in their court and if you didn't play by the rules they can make the claim process very difficult, not to mention ruining your insurance record and dragging you through court if it's a big claim.

General rule then is, if someone lives in your house and has a licence, the insurance company must be made aware of them. If they live elsewhere and might use the bike/car occasionally (occasionally in this case for me means 1 to 5 times a month), there shouldn't really be a reason to disclose them. Just always remember that regardless of who's behind the wheel - if a claim occurs, it goes on both the driver's and the vehicle owner's records - so always think twice about lending out your bike or car.
    Aleks Hara - Registered Insurance Broker
    Cornerstone Insurance Brokers Ltd.

AHARA@CSIB.ORG
    T:416-798-8001 ext 311
    T:1-888-768-8001 ext 311
    F:905-264-5178

"Cornerstone - Your broker of choice - We make it simple!"