Court + Police documents needed for Visa Application

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Court + Police documents needed for Visa Application

Court + Police documents needed for Visa Application

Hello,

Sorry to bring this on the forum, but I figure someone knows the answer on the top of the head.

I am making an application for a US Visa, and on the application web, it is advised that if the applicant was ever arrested or charged with criminal, then he/she must bring in the court documents as well as the police records.

I figure that submitting as many documents as possible is usually a plus, but my arrest and alleged charges being only for Impaired Driving and Dangerous Driving, I imagine that keeping this paperwork as simple as possible is the way to go.

Where in the court can I obtain such a paperwork ? Who do I go ?
    Would police give me records ?

What is your prediction of the outcome of this Visa application ? Can I go to the states at all ?

Thanks in advance,

Ugur
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Re: Court + Police documents needed for Visa Application

what kind of visa, just a travel visa or work.. that cant be answered as its upto the US to decide, depends on many factors.

if you want the police documents you go to the respective police service that charged you. for toronto police go to 40 college st, next to the front desk there is a desk where you get said records. no idea about court documents. give 416 808 7000 a call which is for the duty desk at headquarters and they will direct you.
    for other services go to their website.

Visitor's visa... Depends on many factors indeed, but the only grey area I am in is this criminal record situation. The rest is very straightforward, as I am an international student residing in Canada...

Would a letter from my lawyer help ?

So, I have filled out an online form at Toronto Police web to request a basic background check paper, and they are asking me for my fingerprints provided from a private practice, to prove I am who I say I am.

Is this normal ?

Quote Originally Posted by whetaus-tr View Post
    So, I have filled out an online form at Toronto Police web to request a basic background check paper, and they are asking me for my fingerprints provided from a private practice, to prove I am who I say I am.

Is this normal ?
    Never heard of this, but yet again never heard of anyone in your situation.
    Typically they want everyone in their system.

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    They already have my fingerprints....... which was taken the night that I visited the station for DUI. I don't understand this..
    And the e-mail that asks for fingerprints explicitly says "DO NOT CALL OR E-MAIL US"....

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    Uh, he's already in their system as he would have been printed when he was charged.

OP - This is very normal. Likely the easiest way given you're an international student.

What is your prediction of the outcome of this Visa application ? Can I go to the states at all ?
    Just wanted to update: I got the visa.

Police background check papers take 6-8 months apparently, if you are on the record. And it is one of the required docs. But, I didn't wait and went straight to the appointment at US Consulate with the rest of the required docs, and they didn't bother checking with any of the documents at all. The only thing they asked for was my passport =) and the visa is approved.

I will be riding down all the way south in April if my job is confirmed. I hope my 250 can survive it lol

Police background check papers take 6-8 months apparently, if you are on the record. And it is one of the required docs. But, I didn't wait and went straight to the appointment at US Consulate with the rest of the required docs, and they didn't bother checking with any of the documents at all. The only thing they asked for was my passport =) and the visa is approved.

I will be riding down all the way south in April if my job is confirmed. I hope my 250 can survive it lol
    You mentioned visitor's visa in post 3 and now mention job. Does a visitors visa allow you to work?

Is this normal ?
    Should have seen the hoops Gilligan had to hop through.

Congrats but job?!? So your getting a TN visa?!?! I am trying to get one. Just trying to land work. Where are you headed?

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    You mentioned visitor's visa in post 3 and now mention job. Does a visitors visa allow you to work?
    No you are not. And if they find out you are, its jail for however long they feel like and then the first flight back to Canada regardless where it drops you off. Ask Gillgan about his 'buddies' at homeland security. Left him in Halifax with a summer coat in winter when hes from North Bay.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    Congrats but job?!? So your getting a TN visa?!?! I am trying to get one. Just trying to land work. Where are you headed?
    Just a visitors visa.

I'm a SV for a media company from EU and my job (part-time gig) is to watch tennis.

Even I can't find myself in there lol

But yeah, it's scary stuff if got caught I guess.

Just a visitors visa.

I'm a SV for a media company from EU and my job (part-time gig) is to watch tennis.

Even I can't find myself in there lol

But yeah, it's scary stuff if got caught I guess.

Just be sure you dont say anything about work. I went down in 2007 for a conference related to work and I get harassed from time to time about it.

And getting kicked out is no breeze. Its not like your in jail for the night then a plane the next. Your in jail for a few months. Not to mention a ten year ban.

I am not looking forward to the TN visa interview. Apparently they like to make you feel very very very guilty for stealing an americans job.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

I am not looking forward to the TN visa interview. Apparently they like to make you feel very very very guilty for stealing an americans job.
    My experience wasn't that bad. It does depend on which border crossing you go to (and even which border guard you get). I did my TN interview in Buffalo, and it wasn't too bad, there was just a lot of waiting involved. The interview itself was mostly just going over paperwork, and the guard did ask me a bunch of questions related to the application (what sort of work will you be doing, etc.), but there was no 'guilt tripping' involved.

If your company will support it, have them switch you onto a real visa if you can. TN status can be useful because it can be renewed indefinitely, but it can also be revoked any time you cross the border into the US, basically if the immigration official doesn't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    My experience wasn't that bad. It does depend on which border crossing you go to (and even which border guard you get). I did my TN interview in Buffalo, and it wasn't too bad, there was just a lot of waiting involved. The interview itself was mostly just going over paperwork, and the guard did ask me a bunch of questions related to the application (what sort of work will you be doing, etc.), but there was no 'guilt tripping' involved.

If your company will support it, have them switch you onto a real visa if you can. TN status can be useful because it can be renewed indefinitely, but it can also be revoked any time you cross the border into the US, basically if the immigration official doesn't like you.

Thank you! I have been hearing a lot of horror stories.... Going acrossed in less than two weeks to look for work (not telling them that) so fingers crossed. Theres also rumour of my company making a move stateside which I really have my fingers crossed for.

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

I've gotten TN Visa's for 11 years. This is the first year without one, since I'm not travelling they put me on a Canadian payroll though I still technically work for the US Company. Got mine at the airport. It's pretty routine and for each job there are buzzwords you want to stay away from.

It always depends on the person doing the interview/paperwork. If they start getting riled up, just remain calm. I've had one guy get very upset when I mixed up some words, but he calmed down half way through a sentence. Customs/Immigration will do that to try and get you to make a mistake or reveal that you are actually a terrorist or something.
    Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirty View Post
    I've gotten TN Visa's for 11 years. This is the first year without one, since I'm not travelling they put me on a Canadian payroll though I still technically work for the US Company. Got mine at the airport. It's pretty routine and for each job there are buzzwords you want to stay away from.

It always depends on the person doing the interview/paperwork. If they start getting riled up, just remain calm. I've had one guy get very upset when I mixed up some words, but he calmed down half way through a sentence. Customs/Immigration will do that to try and get you to make a mistake or reveal that you are actually a terrorist or something.
    How long does the interview take?

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

I get there 3 hours before a flight to the US. Interview does not take that long. Mostly waiting. If it's the airport sometimes they will rush you along if you are late for a flight, but sometimes not. Seen people miss flights before.
    Mark H.
    06 ZX-14

Is this normal ?
    It's very typical. York Region already had my prints on file but as part of my citizenship application the government wanted them again. I had them done at Richmond Hill nick only to be told months later to get them done electronically. The places they told me to go were all private practices. Your prints will get sent to Toronto Police or, more likely, the RCMP for a proper background check.

I think it's a sneaky way of infringing on our civil liberties but I had no choice. Not sure if i can request the fingerprint record be destroyed or not.
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

And a visa doesn't guarantee admission. So don't be a smarty pants when crossing. Answer as honestly as possible any questions they throw at you. Although "purpose of visit?" "to go watch a tennis match" seems honest enough for me!!
    Spineless swines. Cemented minds.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirty View Post
    I get there 3 hours before a flight to the US. Interview does not take that long. Mostly waiting. If it's the airport sometimes they will rush you along if you are late for a flight, but sometimes not. Seen people miss flights before.
    My first time I'll be crossing the border with a moving truck. Should I cross before I take the truck down just to get the visa?

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T