Is this a good idea? My plan for getting M license... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this a good idea? My plan for getting M license...

Re: Is this a good idea? My plan for getting M license...

Quote Originally Posted by flummox View Post
    Crap. I'm Jones-ing like a mo-fo and it's been 4 months.
    LOL I hear ya brother

Quote Originally Posted by jeffjones View Post
    Really?? So your bike gets about 375-400km per tank?
    I knew it was good but didn't think that good.
    Believe it or not, that's how much I use to get on one tank when I owned one.

get the 250. As said earlier, a 125 will be running at its max all the time. You will be pushing the engine to the limit without leaving room incase a situation develops and where you need to take evassive action, i.e. use the left lane. On a 400 series hihgway all it takes is a second and not having an extra little oomph on tap to get out of the way can be the difference between life and death.
    See what insurance says, use your north bay address, since it will be your primary residence and be cheaper .
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by smergy View Post
    get the 250. As said earlier, a 125 will be running at its max all the time. You will be pushing the engine to the limit without leaving room incase a situation develops and where you need to take evassive action, i.e. use the left lane. On a 400 series hihgway all it takes is a second and not having an extra little oomph on tap to get out of the way can be the difference between life and death.
    See what insurance says, use your north bay address, since it will be your primary residence and be cheaper .
    If you're getting into situations where pull over and slow down doesn't work, then you might want to consider track instead of street, and get an SUV with bully bars for highway driving.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    If you're getting into situations where pull over and slow down doesn't work, then you might want to consider track instead of street, and get an SUV with bully bars for highway driving.
    It will give you extra options when an ugly situation is about to arise that you won't have on a 125. I sure wouldn't want to try pulling over from the right lane onto a shoulder 400 series highway in a hurry with an 18-wheeler riding my *****. I'd much rather have more HP than I need and never use than not enough when I do. Always remember, the guy behind you can't slow down as fast as you can. You can hit the skids hard and stop in a hurry, but can he?
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

Sounds like a good plan! But why sell the bike after you get the M license?
    Keep it and ride for 4 more years, and get a 600 when you are 25 yrs old.

I was questioning this plan myself....why sell the bike and stop riding until you're 25?

I know many on these forums press the small bikes for newer riders. I agree that sport bikes are way too touchy for most experienced riders let alone new riders, but power and noise is good for defensive driving as well. I would never get on a highway with a bike running toward the top of its power range. Braking is not always the answer for getting out of someone's way. If you are seriously considering riding up HW 400 and 11, get a more powerful bike. Buy something older or with higher milage to cut down on costs.

Traffic, we don't need no stinkin' traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by smergy View Post
    It will give you extra options when an ugly situation is about to arise that you won't have on a 125. I sure wouldn't want to try pulling over from the right lane onto a shoulder 400 series highway in a hurry with an 18-wheeler riding my *****. I'd much rather have more HP than I need and never use than not enough when I do. Always remember, the guy behind you can't slow down as fast as you can. You can hit the skids hard and stop in a hurry, but can he?
    Is not avoiding the 400 series another option - IF there is a speed issue?

Im also trying to figure out why can't the guy behind me slow down as fast as I can? Please explain.
    Ignorance is curable, Apathy not so much, but I don't care, I'll try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ABCarr View Post
    I was questioning this plan myself....why sell the bike and stop riding until you're 25?
    I plan on selling the bike because once I get my M I'll take a break, and I won't have anywhere to store the bike. I'd figured that I'll just be losing money by paying for storage. Once I reach 25 and the insurance gets cheaper I plan on getting a 250 cc motorcycle

I didn't have winter storage either, so I bought my friend dinner and was able to store it at their garage over the winter months!

Quote Originally Posted by Baggsy View Post
    Is not avoiding the 400 series another option - IF there is a speed issue?

Im also trying to figure out why can't the guy behind me slow down as fast as I can? Please explain.
    What do your think is going to happen when a parent driving a minivan with no abs is up your arse doing 110. Chances are they're chronically fatigued which slows reaction time. Add to it the imense Wight difference and the sport breaks on your bike vs softer less effective ones one the van. Your tires will provide better traction.To boot most people are really bad drivers. A power reserve is helpful, but like others have no substitute. For defensive driving.