Increase Ontario 400-series Highway Speed Limit - Page 3

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Increase Ontario 400-series Highway Speed Limit

Re: Increase Ontario 400-series Highway Speed Limit

Quote Originally Posted by Gummiente View Post
    Don't forget to lobby all the municipal governments to allow rail lines to be laid in front of your local grocery stores, LCBO's, The Beer Store, CDN Tire, Zellers, etc, etc.
    When I was in highschool I used to pump fuel at a truck stop. There was a saying that went, if you bought it at a store it came on a truck. But that's not really the point here I guess. I'm sure that OP can find enough souped up civic forums to get his 'likes' and have nothing come of it.
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    You sound like you have a hard life.
    8...and OpenGambit, because he is thin skinned.

CBR 600RR, FZR 600(gone), Banshee 350(sold), Formula 1 Sidecar (Passenger)

I would hate to see some drivers I see trying to go 120 plus, they are bad enough at 100!

You talk about sweating it doing 20 over? When the roads are empty the limit could be 200 and it would still get broken...
    As mentioned before our highways are normally parking lots anyway.

Truth is, you want to go fast, test the limits of you bike and yourself. Track days are your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by killerkeith View Post
    Facebook Petitions are completely useless in effecting change. It reeks of laziness. Organize real people to show up in person somewhere and protest where the lawmakers work. I probably still won't care enough to bother, but you are certainly wasting your time here.
    That's the plan once we have enough supporters and the government ignores our demands.

There is lots more in store that could be done, given proper funding... We have to start somewhere.

------- HERE IS WHAT TO DO TO SPREAD THE WORD AND HELP THE CAUSE --------

IF YOU USE FACEBOOK - GO TO http://www.facebook.com/stop100 AND LIKE US AT THE TOP.

Actually I wasn't applying it with a blanket statement - the speed should be less than 120 in those areas as well. 120 in rural areas could be safe if the speeds in major centres was less - there's a sharp curve near ganonoque that shouldn't be taken by trucks at 120, another near brockville. As well, brockville has some of the shortest on-ramps on the entire 401.

I travel the 401 through to Montreal or Ottawa once or twice a month. Doing 110-115 means I'm still passing quite a few cars, and all the trucks. 120 on the 402, 416 or 417 I'd have no problem with and support faster speeds - but the 401 should be slower to deal with the truck traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    120 is fine in rural areas. Windsor/London, Brockville/Cornwall corridors for example. No where near the traffic density of GTA, which you seem to be using to apply the same blanket statement.

Again, proper driving techniques are the key. Personally I would like to see dynamic speed limits. Having a speed sign change it's led's from 100 to 120 on a sunny day with light traffic would be ideal. Driver education needs to be addressed first though.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Now, if it were to change the silly 80km roads to 100km then I'm with you.
    That was indeed the case before the oil embargo - they used to be faster - we got screwed big time (they were about 95kmh I believe). People back then used to be smarter and knew what the roads were for. In 1970s the 400 limit was 112...

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    Only on this forum will you find vehicles generally used by speed demons being used by little girls who don't want a speed increase.

You've got my like though.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Amazing the amount of opposition to LEGALIZING OUR CURRENT DRIVING HABITS. Some people love to be criminalized by a bad law and hope the officer will show mercy... Astounding...

Quote Originally Posted by Bermuda View Post
    Roads exist to get people who use them from A to B, not to see who has the most nerve. If all you want to do is go fast, then find a track and go as fast as you'd like.
    Highways were designed to get from A - B FAST. Secondary roads were designed to do the same but more slowly. Which part of that do you not understand? Have you read all the facts and practices around the world? We have some of the BEST highways world-wide and the lowest limit on Earth...

IF YOU USE FACEBOOK - GO TO http://www.facebook.com/stop100 AND LIKE US AT THE TOP.

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer View Post
    8...and OpenGambit, because he is thin skinned.
    Must be tough waking up every day thinking of reasons why every group of people out there is somehow going out of their way to screw you over.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by chrison View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Amazing the amount of opposition to LEGALIZING OUR CURRENT DRIVING HABITS. Some people love to be criminalized by a bad law and hope the officer will show mercy... Astounding...

Highways were designed to get from A - B FAST. Secondary roads were designed to do the same but more slowly. Which part of that do you not understand? Have you read all the facts and practices around the world? We have some of the BEST highways world-wide and the lowest limit on Earth...
    I had a response, but it really doesn't need to be said.

You let us know how this works out for you.

The cost of replacing the speed limit signs in itself is gonna cost too much....so it ain't gonna happen.

Amazing the amount of opposition to LEGALIZING OUR CURRENT DRIVING HABITS. Some people love to be criminalized by a bad law and hope the officer will show mercy... Astounding...
    You sound like you're trying to leech off the movement to legalize marijuana when unlike the criminalization of pot, there is no harm caused by the speed limit set at 100 for all the reasons previously mentioned.

Also, we need the cops to be given discretion in many enforcement situations, certainly speeding. The fact is that legislators sitting in Queen's Park would be much worse judges of a driver's risky behaviour than a cop sitting in his squad car. The instances of injustice if the cops had no discretion in enforcing the law would be very much higher than they are with cops having discretion.

We have some of the BEST highways world-wide and the lowest limit on Earth...
    Did you happen to compare licensing standards around the world too while you were at it? That would be very relevant.
    There is no planet B.

We have some of the BEST highways world-wide and the lowest limit on Earth...
    Please share what you are smoking.

Explain why Germany has unlimited speed on the autobahn and don't have much issues with accidents?

Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    Explain why Germany has unlimited speed on the autobahn and don't have much issues with accidents?
    It's time to end the "but they do it in Germany" argument; the Autobahns are mostly 120-130kmh speed limited and have been for several years now. Most towns have 30kmh zones enforced by traffic cameras and the Polizei are less restrained by government policies than their north American counterparts. Plus, the average driver is much better trained.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

It's time to end the "but they do it in Germany" argument; the Autobahns are mostly 120-130kmh speed limited and have been for several years now. Most towns have 30kmh zones enforced by traffic cameras and the Polizei are less restrained by government policies than their north American counterparts. Plus, the average driver is much better trained.
    What I remember from my many trips there... yes better cars ...better road...better rules...better trained drivers ...some restrictions on the autobahn logically in dangerous areas but for the most part unlimited speed areas.

This link says two-thirds has no permanent speed limit. Jan. 11 2012

http://www.gettingaroundgermany.info...ml#speedlimits
    Last edited by Kool; 02-23-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    This link says two-thirds has no permanent speed limit.
    The authour's "advisory speed limit" comment is misleading. 130kmh is the recommended speed limit if there are no road signs indicated otherwise. You can be subject to a speeding fine in these zones if a Polizei officer deems it appropriate.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Best highways my ***. The 401 in most places outside the GTA is 2 lanes each direction, for the supposed busiest route in North America that's pathetic. All the motorways in the UK are 3 lanes AND for the most part drivers keep good lane discipline. 2 lane highways would be fine if people understood that it's not their god given right to randomly pick a lane to drive in at the exact same speed as the car next to them. Add to that the massive chunks of road missing from parts of the same damn highway...Stephen Hawkings is rumoured to have an interest in a few of them because of their excessive gravitational pull.

I only need to head across the border at the Thousand Islands bridge to find a much better highway where drivers seem to be polite and speed limits are generally kept to give or take 5mph.

I agree with quite a few people here....higher speed limits would be fine if we could guarantee that the majority of *** clowns in cars were better trained. Simply put, most people I see on the roads here would fail any European driving test.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post

Did you happen to compare licensing standards around the world too while you were at it? That would be very relevant.
    Yes, I hold an EU license and also held a Kansas license once. Kansas has a speed limit of 120km/h and gives you a license in 20 minutes, not ONE YEAR like it happens in Ontario (full G). Does this answer your question?

You guys are extremely critical of our roads - this is very disappointing. Talk to the Americans in NY they'll tell you about endless rims and wheels damaged due to countless potholes and metropolitan highways in horrible shape. Our roads are generally smooth and really well maintained. Talk to Quebeckers about their roads. They marvel at our roads in comparison to theirs (been there.... drove from montreal to Quebec city - worst divided highway on the planet). So, please... have more pride in your infrastructure... I've been to most EU as well as US cities - never once did I see something like our 401 Express Lanes. I know it's easy to criticize but trust me - our highways are excellent and very similar in quality to the Autobahn itself. Our metropolitan roads easily beat those around Berlin... I'm talking from experience. You won't find 8 lanes going one direction over there, like our hwy 400.

The average speed on the 400 series is around 121 km/h I believe... I've never heard of anyone being stopped for doing that speed. Maybe I'm just ignorant though...

The authour's "advisory speed limit" comment is misleading. 130kmh is the recommended speed limit if there are no road signs indicated otherwise. You can be subject to a speeding fine in these zones if a Polizei officer deems it appropriate.
    Completely false. When there is no road sign, 130 is recommended. You cannot be pulled over for any speed in such zones. You can only be ticketed for speeding in zones with number posted in a red circle. You can, however, get a ticket for plenty of other infractions; aggressive driving, flashing lights, passing on the right, left lane bandit, etc.

Because a crazy fallacy like the one you've mentioned, however, Montana lost its "reasonable and prudent speed limit" law in the 90s. You could go as fast as long as you were "prudent", some people went 130 some 200. A silly cop pulled one guy over for 140 or so and ticketed him for not being reasonable... The guy took it to the court (rightfully so) and since the cop himself could not answer what the prudent speed would be in those circumstances, the whole law was thrown out by the supreme court. So much for safe driving and low fatalities rate for many years in Montana with no speed limits. One silly cop in his idiocy contributed to ruining it for the entire state (and more). It's all factual, check out the "reasonable and prudent" speed limit law.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    The average speed on the 400 series is around 121 km/h I believe... I've never heard of anyone being stopped for doing that speed. Maybe I'm just ignorant though...
    Sure, but 130 will get you a ticket... I spoke to cops who said 125 is safe and that's their preferred speed off duty. So why ticket someone at 130?? Answer: bad speed limit law (pretty much lowest limit on Earth...). It used to be 112km/h. Check out the facts on our site.