Increase Ontario 400-series Highway Speed Limit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Increase Ontario 400-series Highway Speed Limit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Increase Ontario 400-series Highway Speed Limit

Now, if it were to change the silly 80km roads to 100km then I'm with you.

Only on this forum will you find vehicles generally used by speed demons being used by little girls who don't want a speed increase.

You've got my like though.

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    Only on this forum will you find vehicles generally used by speed demons being used by little girls who don't want a speed increase.

Roads exist to get people who use them from A to B, not to see who has the most nerve. If all you want to do is go fast, then find a track and go as fast as you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Now, if it were to change the silly 80km roads to 100km then I'm with you.
    That was indeed the case before the oil embargo - they used to be faster - we got screwed big time (they were about 95kmh I believe). People back then used to be smarter and knew what the roads were for. In 1970s the 400 limit was 112...

Couldn't have said it better myself. Amazing the amount of opposition to LEGALIZING OUR CURRENT DRIVING HABITS. Some people love to be criminalized by a bad law and hope the officer will show mercy... Astounding...

Quote Originally Posted by Bermuda View Post
    Roads exist to get people who use them from A to B, not to see who has the most nerve. If all you want to do is go fast, then find a track and go as fast as you'd like.
    Highways were designed to get from A - B FAST. Secondary roads were designed to do the same but more slowly. Which part of that do you not understand? Have you read all the facts and practices around the world? We have some of the BEST highways world-wide and the lowest limit on Earth...

------- HERE IS WHAT TO DO TO SPREAD THE WORD AND HELP THE CAUSE --------

IF YOU USE FACEBOOK - GO TO http://www.facebook.com/stop100 AND LIKE US AT THE TOP.

Quote Originally Posted by chrison View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Amazing the amount of opposition to LEGALIZING OUR CURRENT DRIVING HABITS. Some people love to be criminalized by a bad law and hope the officer will show mercy... Astounding...

Highways were designed to get from A - B FAST. Secondary roads were designed to do the same but more slowly. Which part of that do you not understand? Have you read all the facts and practices around the world? We have some of the BEST highways world-wide and the lowest limit on Earth...
    I had a response, but it really doesn't need to be said.

You let us know how this works out for you.

The cost of replacing the speed limit signs in itself is gonna cost too much....so it ain't gonna happen.

Amazing the amount of opposition to LEGALIZING OUR CURRENT DRIVING HABITS. Some people love to be criminalized by a bad law and hope the officer will show mercy... Astounding...
    You sound like you're trying to leech off the movement to legalize marijuana when unlike the criminalization of pot, there is no harm caused by the speed limit set at 100 for all the reasons previously mentioned.

Also, we need the cops to be given discretion in many enforcement situations, certainly speeding. The fact is that legislators sitting in Queen's Park would be much worse judges of a driver's risky behaviour than a cop sitting in his squad car. The instances of injustice if the cops had no discretion in enforcing the law would be very much higher than they are with cops having discretion.

We have some of the BEST highways world-wide and the lowest limit on Earth...
    Did you happen to compare licensing standards around the world too while you were at it? That would be very relevant.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post

Did you happen to compare licensing standards around the world too while you were at it? That would be very relevant.
    Yes, I hold an EU license and also held a Kansas license once. Kansas has a speed limit of 120km/h and gives you a license in 20 minutes, not ONE YEAR like it happens in Ontario (full G). Does this answer your question?

You guys are extremely critical of our roads - this is very disappointing. Talk to the Americans in NY they'll tell you about endless rims and wheels damaged due to countless potholes and metropolitan highways in horrible shape. Our roads are generally smooth and really well maintained. Talk to Quebeckers about their roads. They marvel at our roads in comparison to theirs (been there.... drove from montreal to Quebec city - worst divided highway on the planet). So, please... have more pride in your infrastructure... I've been to most EU as well as US cities - never once did I see something like our 401 Express Lanes. I know it's easy to criticize but trust me - our highways are excellent and very similar in quality to the Autobahn itself. Our metropolitan roads easily beat those around Berlin... I'm talking from experience. You won't find 8 lanes going one direction over there, like our hwy 400.

------- HERE IS WHAT TO DO TO SPREAD THE WORD AND HELP THE CAUSE --------

IF YOU USE FACEBOOK - GO TO http://www.facebook.com/stop100 AND LIKE US AT THE TOP.

The average speed on the 400 series is around 121 km/h I believe... I've never heard of anyone being stopped for doing that speed. Maybe I'm just ignorant though...

You guys are extremely critical of our roads - this is very disappointing. Talk to the Americans in NY they'll tell you about endless rims and wheels damaged due to countless potholes and metropolitan highways in horrible shape. Our roads are generally smooth and really well maintained.
    Do you own a bike, have you even sat on one?

If so have you even ridden a bike in Canada or better yet the GTA?

as well as US cities - never once did I see something like our 401 Express Lanes.
    Then you've never been to Washington, Baltimore, Chicago, Indianapolis and other cities, then. The difference is most of the Express Lanes in those cities do not allow trucks.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

We have some of the BEST highways world-wide and the lowest limit on Earth...
    Please share what you are smoking.

Explain why Germany has unlimited speed on the autobahn and don't have much issues with accidents?

Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    Explain why Germany has unlimited speed on the autobahn and don't have much issues with accidents?
    It's time to end the "but they do it in Germany" argument; the Autobahns are mostly 120-130kmh speed limited and have been for several years now. Most towns have 30kmh zones enforced by traffic cameras and the Polizei are less restrained by government policies than their north American counterparts. Plus, the average driver is much better trained.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Much more difficult and expensive licensing procedure... And they do have accidents..better than ours..but not out of this world better.
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Are you comparing German drivers with North American ones??? Or are you comparing German Cars (BMW, Audi and the holly Mercedes) with American ones??? .... Go get a driving test in Europe and you’ll figure out how bad are your driving skills and reflex!
    Guys, if you wanna drive fast. Plz, either make it over 180km/h (no cop will even try to catch you, but he will make a call for someone to do (in general a heli cop ter). Otherwise, keep it bellow 130km/h.
    The day cops will start giving tickets for drivers staying/sleeping on the left line (like in Europe), then I'll suggest to higher the speed limits.
    2cents

Would you really feel safe if the speed limits were increased to 120 km/h in the GTA?

The flow of traffic right now is 120 km/h, add another 20km/h can the average GTA driver handle driving a car at 140km/h?

Take the HTA172 ruling for example, so the speed limit is upped to 120km/h that means i can now ride my bike at 169 km/h without fear of my bike being impounded.

160km/h squid is now sharing the road with the 105km/h governed transport truck.

And this is why we can't have nice things. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixel View Post
    And this is why we can't have nice things. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
    Who takes their inner speed demon to the 400 series highway anyway... other than YorkU students (must be the depressing nature of not getting into UofT)
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    Who takes their inner speed demon to the 400 series highway anyway... other than YorkU students (must be the depressing nature of not getting into UofT)
    You're evil... That made me laugh out loud at work.