Increase Ontario 400-series Highway Speed Limit

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Increase Ontario 400-series Highway Speed Limit

This is it, guys. I think it’s about time our lowest speed limit in the world gets changed to a new, more reasonable level: 120-130km/h - just like many countries and states around us!

Did you know speed limit used to be 112 km/h (70mph)? Click the links below to read more...

We need to show our strength in numbers. We’ve created a facebook page and online poll. WE NEED THE NUMBERS - BIG NUMBERS OF FANS, otherwise this will fail. Please LIKE the facebook page - this is how the Government will know how many people support the case. Also TAKE the online poll.

UNLESS you enjoy being ticketed for 130 on 100.

Once the facebook page reaches enough fans, we will send the letter to the government demanding action! We will also contact news media and everyone else we can to get the whole Province talking.

------- HERE IS WHAT TO DO TO SPREAD THE WORD AND HELP THE CAUSE --------

IF YOU USE FACEBOOK - GO TO http://www.facebook.com/stop100 AND LIKE US AT THE TOP.

THEN POST A STATUS UPDATE BY PASTING THE URL IN THE BOX: www.facebook.com/stop100

IF NO FACEBOOK ACCOUNT - VISIT SITE AND TAKE THE POLL: http://stop100.ca

-----------------------

Re: Increase Ontario 400-series Highway Speed Limit

sorry mate, wont happen here. Less infringements will occur so less $$ for the taking. Its all about the money here

Got ya... but please support it - we need to put up a big fight to have any remote chances. We need the numbers. Like the page please. It will go to the media too if the number grows into thousands......

What does it matter? I drive on 400 series highways with 100kph posted speed limits everyday and don't usually get above 60kph.
    Last edited by Wasted; 02-23-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: typo
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

No thanks bud, I enjoy my gas mileage that I get going 100.
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

I know the posted limit is 100kph, but, in my experience, it's really 120kph. I drive the 401 alot, and I've gone through alot of radar traps at 120kph, and have never gotten pulled over.
    However, I have had a few tickets between 130kph and 140kph.

I think, if the speed limit was raised, it would be strictly enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    I know the posted limit is 100kph, but, in my experience, it's really 120kph. I drive the 401 alot, and I've gone through alot of radar traps at 120kph, and have never gotten pulled over.

Exactly. Plus fines would be increased to make up for the increase in the baseline 100km/h to 120km/h. End result = no change.

Where's the Facebook dislike button?

Got my "like"

Good luck

Greg

Milton Ontario

2012 ZX14R
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

That's the point. This is all about being able to drive 120-130 LEGALLY on our super wide amazing roads - not sweating it each time when we do as it is currently. We should not be at the mercy of the officer. Please check out all the facts below.

IF YOU USE FACEBOOK - GO TO http://www.facebook.com/stop100 AND LIKE US AT THE TOP.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post

Thats how it is out west. Higher limits but they enforce them very strictly.
    2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 - Current
    2004 Suzuki GS500F - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Exactly. Plus fines would be increased to make up for the increase in the baseline 100km/h to 120km/h. End result = no change.

Where's the Facebook dislike button?
    Honestly, that's hypocritical - if you currently drive at 120km/h they you are BREAKING THE LAW. Enough said?

With the limit raised to 120-130, you can drive that fast legally.

Last edited by chrison; 02-23-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Too much cost both environmentally and financially. The limit is already 120 km/h in an unofficial way. I would prefer you champion proper lane discipline, eg. drive right, pass left. That would make travel a whole lot less stressful.
    Can't we settle this over a pint?

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    Too much cost both environmentally and financially. The limit is already 120 km/h in an unofficial way. I would prefer you champion proper lane discipline, eg. drive right, pass left. That would make travel a whole lot less stressful.

+10000000000

You know how it will go.... Raise the limit to 120 and now the people that used to go that speed now start doing 140.
    Caught between the good girl, bad girl thing

Support my fight to end cancer in our lifetime - UPDATED 2012
    http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/BikerCat13

04' VStar 1100
    '08 Suzuki Boulevard S40
    '74 CB360T

Instructor www.learningcurves.ca/

Start that one and you'll get my support. People don't know how to drive on highways to begin with.
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

+Lots.

I tow a tent trailer with the cage during the summer, and there's no way I'm dragging a trailer at 130, even if 130 is the posted speed limit.

I've had trailer tires blow out at 100kph, I can't imagine what 130 would be like. (I am typically in the right lane while towing!)
    o~`o
    VSRI #1930
    The most common problem with motorcycles is the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat13 View Post
    +10000000000

You know how it will go.... Raise the limit to 120 and now the people that used to go that speed now start doing 140.
    You could be correct but in Texas that has not been the case at all:

"TxDOT officials say that, by and large, actual highway speeds won't increase because the overwhelming majority of drivers tend to stay at a prudent pace based on the design of the road and the topography surrounding it. In other words, if 85 percent of motorists are currently driving 75 mph or slower on a road posted for 70, increasing the legal maximum to 75 mph won't mean that most drivers will reflexively begin going 80.
    The department says, for instance, that after the speed limit on I-10 west of Kerrville was raised to 80 mph a few years ago — under a different state law — 85 percent of drivers were clocked at 81 mph or less. Traffic fatalities on the 80-mph sections of I-10 and I-20 actually decreased in the three years after the change, the department said."

Greg

Milton Ontario

2012 ZX14R
    2007 Kawasaki ZX-14

Quote Originally Posted by Wasted View Post
    What does it matter? I drive on 400 series highways with 100kph posted speed limits everyday and don't usually get above 60kph.
    Yeah, I'd be happy if they could just get the people doing 95kmh in the left lane to MOVE THE **** OVER!!!! Let's start with some baby steps..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

I cruise around at 120 on the 400 series highways without sweating it at all.. If you raise it to 120.. well I am definately going 140.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Facebook Petitions are completely useless in effecting change. It reeks of laziness. Organize real people to show up in person somewhere and protest where the lawmakers work. I probably still won't care enough to bother, but you are certainly wasting your time here.
    New to me for 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by chrison View Post
    Honestly, that's hypocritical - if you currently drive at 120km/h they you are BREAKING THE LAW. Enough said?

With the limit raised to 120-130, you can drive that fast legally.

I'm breaking the law, oh noes!

We do a lot of things that break the law every day. Are you seriously telling me this petition is to help people feel better about themselves when they're doing 120, and not about the populist outrage over speeding fines?
    There is no planet B.