Vulcan EN500 - Kickstand Issue

Thread: Vulcan EN500 - Kickstand Issue

Question Vulcan EN500 - Kickstand Issue

Hey all,

My wife has a Vulcan EN500.. Great bike, but having a disagreement with the kickstand: it has a rounded end, and butts right up against the left exhaust. My wife has trouble lowering the kickstand if she's wearing anything other than a near-solid sole shoe (near impossible for her).

Any suggestions or modifications that would make lowering the stand a little easier? I thought maybe bending it outward would help, or maybe an extension of some sort if they make them for the smaller Vulcan's? Any help is appreciated, thanks all!

Re: Vulcan EN500 - Kickstand Issue

What exactly is the problem? Is she having problems reaching the sidestand because it's tucked up under the exhaust? Or is the lever too close to the pivot point and so it takes too much force to swing it down?

Looks like the kickstand should have a little lever attached at the base that sticks out from the muffler. Is that missing or too small?

http://jarlef.no/Kawasaki/Images/200...1/En500a04.jpg

Otherwise yeah, bend it out a bit or spacing the bolts where mounts to the frame. Also, sho could try getting off the bike first and then lowering the kickstand.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Looks like the kickstand should have a little lever attached at the base that sticks out from the muffler. Is that missing or too small?
    +1

OP - There are two styles of kickstands depending on the model. Both have a lever on them.

2000 Ninja 500R

She has the bottom picture type.. And yes, it's tucked right up against the pipe.. not much room for leverage on the down-push. Even I have trouble with it if I'm wearing regular shoes.

.. Unfortunately, there is not a device protruding like there is in the picture at about its midpoint.

Is there a safe way to bend that end-piece without breaking the weld?
    Last edited by icebox; 02-24-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Get a piece of rubber auto oil or fuel line that will fit snigly over the piece that sticks out and cut it a little long and slip it over then it should stick out a little more and she can get her boot on the longer piece of hose.

2008 Triumph Bonneville T100
    2009 Harley Ultra Classic
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Not sure about the aftermarket extension, it appears as if it clamps into place over the existing kickstand ? The fuel line trick should work, just worried about the rubber contacting the exhaust pipe and melting. There is only 1/12th inch gap between the pipe and the wrap-around peg for pushing.