Insurance for classic/vintage bikes

Thread: Insurance for classic/vintage bikes

Insurance for classic/vintage bikes

Called Jevco to get a quote for a 1985 Suzuki GS 450 L, and the quote was pretty close to my 2003 Katana 750 (around $1200). SF giving me the same thing too. over 25, G1 since I was 17. Is this normal?

Re: Insurance for classic/vintage bikes

Quote Originally Posted by momoneymohoney View Post
    Called Jevco to get a quote for a 1985 Suzuki GS 450 L, and the quote was pretty close to my 2003 Katana 750 (around $1200). SF giving me the same thing too. over 25, G1 since I was 17. Is this normal?
    Normal for Who?
    KODMONKY When you're Happy and you know it...SMILE

Quote Originally Posted by Hachi-Roku View Post
    Normal for Who?
    In terms of price, is it normal for them to be quoting so much for a 450cc classic bike. Is there like a high accident rate on these bikes or something? I was hoping to downgrade to a slower bike in order to get a bigger savings on my insurance.

I just got an 1150 quote on my '79 KZ400 from Jevco, sounds like similar specs to you (27/GM/1ticket). I didn't insure this bike last year for the same reason and it looks like i won't be able to find cheap insurance for it this year either. Worst part is that if my bike was a newer 400 insurance would be next to nothing with my company (TD Meloche Monnex).
    2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
    1979 Kawasaki KZ400B2
    2001 Kawasaki EX250-H (SOLD)

I have a 1982 CB900F Super Sport that's $1000 a year from State Farm. 30 with full M license.
    Lets Ride

I thought classic bikes were 15 or more YO+ and vintage cars were 25 YO+. From the viewpoint of a devil's advocate I wouldn't see a 25 YO run of the mill bike as something someone would baby like they would a Brough Superior, Vincent etc. I would think more in line of it being a cheap, possibly poor handling bike to hammer around with hence high on the liabilty scale. A Vincent would be low on the liability scale but high on the theft / comp part. The last time I insured an older bike it was a 23 YO Goldwing with basics for about $500.00.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    I thought classic bikes were 15 or more YO+ and vintage cars were 25 YO+. From the viewpoint of a devil's advocate I wouldn't see a 25 YO run of the mill bike as something someone would baby like they would a Brough Superior, Vincent etc. I would think more in line of it being a cheap, possibly poor handling bike to hammer around with hence high on the liabilty scale. A Vincent would be low on the liability scale but high on the theft / comp part. The last time I insured an older bike it was a 23 YO Goldwing with basics for about $500.00.
    I actually didn't know the difference between classic & vintage, thanks. Guess I'm stuck with the Kat, really was hoping for a cheaper price for the lower old and lower cc bike.

Quote Originally Posted by momoneymohoney View Post
    I actually didn't know the difference between classic & vintage, thanks. Guess I'm stuck with the Kat, really was hoping for a cheaper price for the lower old and lower cc bike.
    I'm throwing apples and oranges as I'm not sure of the official definitions. A classic can be almost instant if it creates a new class of vehicle. Vintage is more like being an adult or senior citizen. If the number is there you're it. The numbers are all over the place.

OP, What class (M1, M2, M) and how long have you had your M license?

Also, what level of coverage are you being quoted?

Jevco is charging me about $1200/yr to cover both of my bikes, liability only.
    2005 Kawasaki z750s
    1980 Yamasaki ZXS650 "Lunatic Fringe"

Instructor for www.learningcurves.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
    OP, What class (M1, M2, M) and how long have you had your M license?

Also, what level of coverage are you being quoted?

Jevco is charging me about $1200/yr to cover both of my bikes, liability only.
    Had my M2 License for about 3 years now (getting M this spring). It was liability only. You probably have experience and full M on me maybe, but that's a really good rate.