Riding in Monument Valley Tribal Park, Utah

Thread: Riding in Monument Valley Tribal Park, Utah

Riding in Monument Valley Tribal Park, Utah

I'm thinking of making this a side trip between doing the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado and heading back east to New Mexico, but from what I've researched the roads through the Tribal Park itself are dirt and fairly rough, so thought I'd see if anyone here has ridden through the park on a motorcycle. I'm thinking a dirt road in that area is probably pretty sunbaked by the end of June - most likely easier than gravel, I've ridden offroad and my bike (FZ1) handles pretty well off the beaten track. Also I'm not camping this trip, so the bike won't be loaded down with camping gear - even so I've never bottomed out and I've ridden some pretty rough roads while camping, the bike is pretty high and I'm not very heavy.

Most of the websites seem to recommend taking one of the jeep tours offered, and I wouldn't mind that if I were taking the whole day, but I like the idea of controlling my own time. Also its hard to prebook something like that, because you never if you are gonna make the time you hope.

Basically Saturday staying in Ouray, Sunday riding the San Juan Skyway and area, ending up in Cortez, Monday to Monument Valley, Utah then back east to Albuquerque.
    Last edited by BeastieGirl; 02-21-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Re: Riding in Monument Valley Tribal Park, Utah

If you're talking about the Valley of the Gods, I've ridden it.

Depending on how comfortable you are with offroading, its definately do-able. There are big rocks, washboard, ruts, and steep grades but if you go slow and stay off the brakes, you shouldnt have a problem.

One of the concerns I had was that some of the rocks were big and sharp enough to cut through a sport-bike tire although I never had a problem.

Heres a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TCbzJJt77g
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelieboy View Post
    If you're talking about the Valley of the Gods, I've ridden it.

Depending on how comfortable you are with offroading, its definately do-able. There are big rocks, washboard, ruts, and steep grades but if you go slow and stay off the brakes, you shouldnt have a problem.

One of the concerns I had was that some of the rocks were big and sharp enough to cut through a sport-bike tire although I never had a problem.

Heres a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TCbzJJt77g
    Thanks - awesome video! Now I don't have to go there (just kidding) - but it does remind me why I loved Utah so much and I don't think I want to make this a bum's rush sidetrip - this year back to Colorado and New Mexico - next year when I have more time and money - I think I'll make Utah my dedicated destination.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieGirl View Post
    Thanks - awesome video! Now I don't have to go there (just kidding) - but it does remind me why I loved Utah so much and I don't think I want to make this a bum's rush sidetrip - this year back to Colorado and New Mexico - next year when I have more time and money - I think I'll make Utah my dedicated destination.
    If you go that way, dont skip the section of 261 at the end of the Valley of the Gods. While I was there, I saw a scenic route sign going that way but it was not on my route and I was tight on time. Missed it by 1 km! Later I was told it was a must see destination. Street view it, it looks amazing! A bunch of switchbacks up the canyon gives you an awesome view of monument valley.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...10378&t=m&z=13
    Super Sport Touring Ride Reports

Epic Trip from Toronto to California on a 600RR

2007 Honda CBR125R
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    2008 Honda CBR125R (Sold)
    1993 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

BeastieGirl I sent you a pm

[QUOTE=Most of the websites seem to recommend taking one of the jeep tours offered[/QUOTE]

I have a BMW F800ST and I stopped off at Monument Valley last year. I took the tour (1 1/2 hrs $75) and it was well worth it. Two wheel drive cars were having much problems getting down to the MV trail with rock and deep sand. There are tours heading out every 10 - 15 mins. Stop off at MV and you can quickly decide if you can take your bike down and around or you need to take the tour.

All the best in your tour!

Compared to trying to fix a flat on that road, the jeep tours are free.
    That said there is a fair amount of traffic in there during tourist season. On a busy day there are some true idiots driving in there, be safe.

Thanks to all for your helpful input. Since my planned Sturgiss bike week trip has fallen through, I've taken advantage of the freed up vacation funds and reserved one of the cabins at Gouldings Lodge so I can take on of the sunset tours and let somebody else do the driving.

I am so bookmarking this thread.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca