Coloured chains. Buy or not to buy.

Thread: Coloured chains. Buy or not to buy.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Coloured chains. Buy or not to buy.

Hey there, I am wanting to change my chain to a coloured one. Is there anything that I should keep in mind while choosing one. Better brand, better material, best place to purchase from etc. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    Ride it like you stole it.

Re: Coloured chains. Buy or not to buy.

What brand is this colourd chain?

RK makes coloured chains...they'r half decent chains, don't stretch too much (but not as good as a DID chain)

Looks great at Tim Horton's..... anywhere else, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Azim View Post
    Looks great at Tim Horton's..... anywhere else, not so much.
    Yellow is gansta!!!
    Resident Loudmouth

I currently have an RK gold chain on my bike, my only beef is that when I clean the chain some of the colour comes off.
    I ordered a fresh set of sprockets and a gold DID ERV3 chain, just waiting for the right time to put them on.
    Mina

i had a coloured EK chain.

it worked fine. thechain wasn;t painted, but anodized (IIRC)

Quote Originally Posted by vociferous View Post
    i had a coloured EK chain.

it worked fine. thechain wasn;t painted, but anodized (IIRC)
    thats not possible, because you cant anodize steel....Only aluminum and titanium....None of the anodizing companies Ive dealt with can do steel

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    thats not possible, because you cant anodize steel....Only aluminum and titanium....None of the anodizing companies Ive dealt with can do steel

thats fine. could only remember it looked more like anodized, than straight paint.

Quote Originally Posted by 2live&ride View Post
    I currently have an RK gold chain on my bike, my only beef is that when I clean the chain some of the colour comes off.
    I ordered a fresh set of sprockets and a gold DID ERV3 chain, just waiting for the right time to put them on.
    In my experience the ERV3 is the best chain, I think youll like it

Ok, thanks for the feedback everybody. I went on a few sites last night and really didn't know what to expect for pricing or variety. The prices ranged from $50 to $260.00. That is a huge difference which made me question quality or what kind is it I shouldn't get. Certainly don't have to buy the cheapest or the top of the line. What better place to get opinions.
    Mr.Azim ya it would look good at Tim Hortons and everywhere else I ride. I have gotten a lot of things powder coated red and thought that the chain is just one more thing that I can change to make it look good. It's not for everybody I guess, but I like them.
    Ride it like you stole it.

Quote Originally Posted by morningstar View Post
    Ok, thanks for the feedback everybody. I went on a few sites last night and really didn't know what to expect for pricing or variety. The prices ranged from $50 to $260.00. That is a huge difference which made me question quality or what kind is it I shouldn't get. Certainly don't have to buy the cheapest or the top of the line. What better place to get opinions.
    Mr.Azim ya it would look good at Tim Hortons and everywhere else I ride. I have gotten a lot of things powder coated red and thought that the chain is just one more thing that I can change to make it look good. It's not for everybody I guess, but I like them.
    since you are looking online, if you post up links, i think we can sort throught them and advise on which would be the best one of the bunch

Of course, I went by your recommendation!
    Mina

I had EK ZZZ....the gold is actually metalflake gold coating...Its way nicer looking than the gold DID it replaced. And it is the absolute strongest chain available. And it is prestretched. I only adjusted it twice in 3 yrs on a litrebike.

I just got another one, but in orange for the KTM. I have owned Tsubaki, RK, DID, Regina....and I think the longevity if the best on the new EK.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Isn't there a downside to using an ERV3 chain on the street? Not lasting as long or something?
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    I had EK ZZZ....the gold is actually metalflake gold coating...Its way nicer looking than the gold DID it replaced. And it is the absolute strongest chain available. And it is prestretched. I only adjusted it twice in 3 yrs on a litrebike.

I just got another one, but in orange for the KTM. I have owned Tsubaki, RK, DID, Regina....and I think the longevity if the best on the new EK.
    I have EK gold, have 15k km on it. Not a whole lot of stretching
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    Isn't there a downside to using an ERV3 chain on the street? Not lasting as long or something?
    Absolutely not. That is a very good chain.