chain tools and 520 vs 525 chain

Thread: chain tools and 520 vs 525 chain

chain tools and 520 vs 525 chain

I am in need of purchasing a new chain / sprocket for my 2000 SV650s and I would like to install it myself.

I'm planning to order this from bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.bluestreakracing.ca/en/bl...ts_suzuki.html

The stock chain is 525 but bluestreak only offers a 520 chain / sprocket combo.

I read that a 525 chain is slightly heavier and will last longer compared to a 520 (mostly due to steel vs aluminum sprockets?). Should I try to locate a 525 chain instead of the 520? I don't do trackdays and most of my riding is long day trips (500 km+)

Also, I need a chain breaker and rivet tool.
    bluestreak has this:
    http://www.bluestreakracing.ca/en/bl...hain_tool.html

Is this sufficient to break and install a new chain? I have all other tools required (impact sockets, impact gun, etc)

Thanks,

Matthew
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    The blur of the landscape
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Re: chain tools and 520 vs 525 chain

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I am in need of purchasing a new chain / sprocket for my 2000 SV650s and I would like to install it myself.

I read that a 525 chain is slightly heavier and will last longer compared to a 520 (mostly due to steel vs aluminum sprockets?). Should I try to locate a 525 chain instead of the 520? I don't do trackdays and most of my riding is long day trips (500 km+)

bluestreak has this:

Is this sufficient to break and install a new chain? I have all other tools required (impact sockets, impact gun, etc)

Thanks,

Matthew
    All things being equal, a 525 chain should theoretically last longer than a 520, but 520 is a more popular size and you will have more gearing choices and probably access to higher quality chains. You can order steel 520 pitch sprockets and I dont think there would be a significant, if any, difference in chain life. I run a 520 on both of my litre bikes with no issues.

The chain tool you referenced is more than up to the job of removing/reinstalling your chain. I like to grind the heads off of the rivets to spare my chain tool some stress.

bluestreak has this:

Thanks,

Matthew
    1. NOT TRUE!
    2. If you are doing long trips - I would suggest getting a 525 - the 525 front will have a rubber cushion - 525 with steel sprockets and a decent chain should be pretty cheap too.

Yes a 525 chain is heavier as it has more width to it and will last longer (not drastically) due to tensile strength being stronger therefore less streching.
    you can get both steel and aluminum sprockets for 525 and 520. The only good use from aluminum sprockets and a 520 chain is racing where shaving tenths of seconds off time counts. (Due to less rotating mass)
    If you are street riding steel sprockets is the way to go. as for 520 or 525, In your case it really doesn't matter which you choose.
    2001 CBR F4i

" they say at 100mph water feels like concrete ,so you can imagine what concrete feels like " - Nicky Hayden

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    1. NOT TRUE!
    2. If you are doing long trips - I would suggest getting a 525 - the 525 front will have a rubber cushion - 525 with steel sprockets and a decent chain should be pretty cheap too.
    I have never seen an aftermarket front sprocket come with rubber cushion, only OEM, regardless of 520 vs 525

As for 520 vs 525, anything over 520 for a 600SS or you 650 is overkill. Kawasaki ZX6R actually come with 520 chains and sprockets from stock....The reason some bikes come with larger chains is because the average person is not going to change it for 10 years...

The biggest thing about chain/sprocket life is proper adjustment and cleaning/lubing IMO..Without that neither will last as long as it should

If your looking for long life go steel and go with a larger size pitch..
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 02-15-2012 at 01:35 PM.

So it seems that 520 vs 525 isn't as important as aluminum vs steel sprockets. I guess bluestreak is out then since they dont have steel sprockets.

But onto the 2nd part of my question regarding the chain tool, is the one that I linked from bluestreak all that I need to break a chain and install a new one?

Thanks
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

So it seems that 520 vs 525 isn't as important as aluminum vs steel sprockets. I guess bluestreak is out then since they dont have steel sprockets.

But onto the 2nd part of my question regarding the chain tool, is the one that I linked from bluestreak all that I need to break a chain and install a new one?

Thanks
    I have bought quite a bit from Tony at BSR, and just because its not on his site does not mean he cant get it. Just Email him with what you want and he will sort you out. And his pricing is always good...

And yes that tool is designed to both break chains and press them together and rivet them, but in the description it says you need to by a rivet kit separate for rivet links. I like to grind the rivets before breaking a chain so I would also recommend having a grinder
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 02-15-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    I have bought quite a bit from Tony at BSR, and just because its not on his site does not mean he cant get it. Just Email him with what you want and he will sort you out. And his pricing is always good...

And yes that tool is designed to both break chains and press them together and rivet them, but in the description it says you need to by a rivet kit separate for rivet links. I like to grind the rivets before breaking a chain so I would also recommend having a grinder
    Thanks for the info, Johnny. I do have a grinder, so that won't be a problem. I'll email Tony now and see what he has.
    Well-weathered leather
    Hot metal and oil
    The scented country air
    Sunlight on chrome
    Every nerve aware

Rush - Red Barchetta

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    I have never seen an aftermarket front sprocket come with rubber cushion, only OEM, regardless of 520 vs 525

As for 520 vs 525, anything over 520 for a 600SS or you 650 is overkill. Kawasaki ZX6R actually come with 520 chains and sprockets from stock....The reason some bikes come with larger chains is because the average person is not going to change it for 10 years...

The biggest thing about chain/sprocket life is proper adjustment and cleaning/lubing IMO..Without that neither will last as long as it should

If your looking for long life go steel and go with a larger size pitch..
    YES! get a OEM front if you want the cushion.

bluestreak has this:

Thanks,

Matthew
    I stuck with OEM 525 and stock sprocket sizes. I don't do track like u and I only do street riding. 1lb ain't gonna make a whole lot of difference on the street.

As for the chain riveter, go to Royal and get one for $50. U probably would not use it for more than 2x
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    I stuck with OEM 525 and stock sprocket sizes. I don't do track like u and I only do street riding. 1lb ain't gonna make a whole lot of difference on the street.

As for the chain riveter, go to Royal and get one for $50. U probably would not use it for more than 2x
    $38.99 at RD... For the home user I'd say this is more than enough tool (although the suggestion to grind the head off prior to using the tool is a good one, regardless of the cost / quality of the tool).

http://www.royaldistributing.com/mai...PageNumber=312

Quote Originally Posted by coyo View Post
    $38.99 at RD... For the home user I'd say this is more than enough tool (although the suggestion to grind the head off prior to using the tool is a good one, regardless of the cost / quality of the tool).

Thanks, couldn't remember the price
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Thanks, couldn't remember the price
    I keep looking at it... RD isn't near me so next time I go there I should finally fall off my wallet and get it so that it's on hand when I need it (gotta get rid of the clip link chain on the SD).

On that note, does anyone get a bunch of spare master links with a rivet chain so that it can be removed yearly and heavily cleaned up... or am I just going over the top?

On that note, does anyone get a bunch of spare master links with a rivet chain so that it can be removed yearly and heavily cleaned up... or am I just going over the top?
    If you stay on top of the maintenance, this is totally unnecessary.

I have the Royal chain tool as well, worked just fine the one time I used it, used a dremel to grind the rivets off. For some reason I remember paying $20 for mine though
    2006 Yamaha FZ6 - 80k km and counting

+1 for Tony at BSR. Just email him what you want and he will set you up.

I personally ordered a 525 chain, sprockets and the Motion Pro chain breaker from him last year for my sv650 and no complaints. The chain breaker was expensive, but didn't break a sweat getting the old chain off.