Beginner Bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Bike

Beginner Bike

Hey guys, I've read some posts and articles about beginner bikes, and I'm definitely not looking to get on a SS. The bikes I have in mind are the Kawasaki 250R, 400R, 650R, or the Suzuki GSX650F. The bike will last me at least 2 years, I'm 6'2" 185lbs and I was wondering if you think the 650's would be too much?

Thanks

Re: Beginner Bike

Not at all. Any 650 is a great choice for a first bike.
    New to me for 2012.

I've heard of many people starting on a Ninja 650r, with great success. All the bikes you listed are good beginners. I'd imagine the 400R is probably the best, enough power so you won't outgrow it too quickly, but not enough to get yourself in serious trouble. For reference, I ride a GS500, which puts out somewhere around 45 horsepower near the redline. It's great fun, and it's been a great starter bike for me

Thanks for the replies, if it means anything I have my M2.

If anything avoid the 400r its crap the power to weight is worse then the ninja 250... Its just a 650r with a smaller engine for 1500 difference lol

I would second the "avoid" the 400R comment, I see no reason to choose it over the ninja250. However, you might take a look at the 500R, a friend of mine roughly the same size and build as you bought one for his first bike and he loves it!
    Any of the 650 twin bikes can be a decent choice for a first bike, just avoid anything that's 4 cylinder or listed as a sport bike.

Also, doing a few online insurance quotes before buying will help to convince you which bike you really want

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    I would second the "avoid" the 400R comment, I see no reason to choose it over the ninja250. However, you might take a look at the 500R, a friend of mine roughly the same size and build as you bought one for his first bike and he loves it!
    Any of the 650 twin bikes can be a decent choice for a first bike, just avoid anything that's 4 cylinder or listed as a sport bike.

Also, doing a few online insurance quotes before buying will help to convince you which bike you really want

Thanks Kuma, I've already looked at online insurance quotes. 650R top of the line coverage would be $1097/year which is okay with me.

I've seen some youtube videos of the GSX650F and I like the sound of it over the 650R... though the 650R is more sporty looking I think.

Any suggestions with online motorcycle stores? I've seen www.motosport.com and www.canadamotorcycle.ca

I'll probably pick up the Shoei Quest for a helmet, but I'm a bit stuck on gloves and boots.
    Last edited by ck1223; 02-12-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Some other online stores are www.sportbiketrackgear.com and www.motorcyclegear.com (both US stores)

Quote Originally Posted by ck1223 View Post
    Thanks Kuma, I've already looked at online insurance quotes. 650R top of the line coverage would be $1097/year which is okay with me.

I've seen some youtube videos of the GSX650F and I like the sound of it over the 650R... though the 650R is more sporty looking I think.

Any suggestions with online motorcycle stores? I've seen www.motosport.com and www.canadamotorcycle.ca

I'll probably pick up the Shoei Quest for a helmet, but I'm a bit stuck on gloves and boots.
    I've purchased from canadamotorcycle.ca and it was a smooth transaction. I would order from them again.

I wouldn't suggest buying a helmet without putting it on at least for 10-15mins, especially if this is going to be your first helmet. Not only for proper sizing purposes, but also to see if the helmet matches the shape of your head.

2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Cbr250r!

I ride a GS500 and haven't gotten bored of it yet. Also have shopped from canadasmotorcycle.com with great success.

don't rule out the EX500 (ninja 500). Just get something thats easy to find parts for, CBR250, GS500, EX500 are all very common bikes. Not to say there isn't 650r's, etc. around, these are just the easiest to get parts for
    don't be a road crayon, wear your gear, the road doesn't care how "cool" you think you look when it's busy cheese grading your skin.

^^ +1

My first bike is my current bike. The Ninja 500R is a great bike in the right hands. Also makes a great commuter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2000 Ninja 500R

Quote Originally Posted by 00ninja View Post
    ^^ +1

My first bike is my current bike. The Ninja 500R is a great bike in the right hands. Also makes a great commuter.

+ 2 how long have you had your 500 now

2009 Ninja 500r

Quote Originally Posted by Paulhv1 View Post
    + 2 how long have you had your 500 now
    I've had mine since 2009. I really enjoy it. Light, nimble, relatively easy to fix and cheap to insure. Keep it above 7000rpm in the twisties and you're smiling. Yet, comfortable for longer jaunts on the highway even 2up with saddle bags.

How about you?
    2000 Ninja 500R

I got mine a year ago and love it. I am getting a little tired of people telling me I will outgrow it and get bored with it. It is lots of fun. I want to get some fog bones for it. How much is your insurance? Mine was almost $1800 last year. Clean record first year riding gm2 29 years old.

2009 Ninja 500r

Quote Originally Posted by Paulhv1 View Post
    I got mine a year ago and love it. I am getting a little tired of people telling me I will outgrow it and get bored with it. It is lots of fun. I want to get some fog bones for it. How much is your insurance? Mine was almost $1800 last year. Clean record first year riding gm2 29 years old.
    PM sent.

Lots of great info but I don't want to clutter the OP's post.

Cheers!

Last edited by 00ninja; 02-24-2012 at 11:23 PM.
    2000 Ninja 500R

I would avoid the GSX650 basically a reskinned Katana big heavy and poor handling, 80's tech steel tube frame in a new skin one of the only bikes I have hated riding. The SV or ninja are far better choices IMHO.

Older Suzuki GS500 or Kawasaki EX (Ninja) 500. Both are bullet-proof, both are EASY to find parts for, both have no / limited plastic which is expensive to replace, both will sell for what you paid for it (or damn near) when you've learned to ride and are ready to upgrade.