Low mileage riders: Do you service by months/years or km?

View Poll Results: For low mileage riders (<5,000 km/year), when do you service your bike?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • By time interval (months/years)

2 22.22%
  • By km driven

2 22.22%
  • Combination of time interval (months/years) & km driven

5 55.56%

Thread: Low mileage riders: Do you service by months/years or km?

Low mileage riders: Do you service by months/years or km?

For those out there that don't ride much, I'm wondering how often you get your bike serviced? Do you get it serviced based on the time interval (months/years) or by km driven (or a combination of both)?

I know servicing is generally done by "whichever comes first", but judging by my owner's manual, I need to do major servicing (including getting valves checked/adjusted) every year (or at 12K intervals). Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems a bit much (or is it?). And, if we were to take this to an extreme, if you had a bike that was never used, would you guys still agree that the bike needed to be serviced every year and have its oil/filter changed every 6 months?

BTW, I ride a Duc Monster.

Re: Low mileage riders: Do you service by months/years or km?

I would check the valves at the mileadge and change your oil by months. Your belts also by time not mileadge.

Re: Low mileage riders: Do you service by months/years or km?

I'd also monitor tires by years, not km or tread. Once your tires get around 5yrs and older the rubber has deteriorated significantly and may no longer be safe, despite still having good tread. The rubber loses its flexibility and grip.