This is why I have a dash cam - Page 2

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: This is why I have a dash cam

Re: This is why I have a dash cam

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    How did he backup without having his reverse light on? Was that up a hill?
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    Looked like a neutral roll
    If someone is that committed to scamming they could easily unplug their reverse lights. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    i read the caption under the video on youtube. apparently, the officer refused to look at the video, citing that it was only a minor traffic accident. that really burns me up. why on earth would he refuse?! how much of his time could it have possibly taken?! the situation had clearly gone beyond a traffic accident and had now entered criminal territory with uttering a false statement, extortion and fraud. why would the officer be so myopic?!
    If you noticed, English isn't this guy's primary language. I doubt the officer outright said "No, I'm not looking!". He probably just didn't see the point in looking over the video. One video doesn't prove anything, the guy in the other car (although unlikely) might not have noticed he was rolling backwards, day dreaming or whatever.

What the driver did do (and is the better course of action anyway) is show the video to his insurance company. His company will now likely go to the fraudster's insurance company and start an investigation. Insurance companies have more time and better resources to go after traffic fraudsters than the Police anyway. Then if need be, the insurance companies will get the Police involved.

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    because there's no money in it. guy in the honda should get the news involved
    A reporter from The Star is apparently picking this up.

English isn't my primary language either. I suppose thats a reason to doubt everything I say.
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

Here we go...

maybe you can explain how your "not bothering to look at it" is anything other than a refusal. Or is my english really bad too?
    This post does not provide any legal advice and readers should consult with their own lawyer for legal advice.

what the... this **** actually happens? that's unbelievable

well, regardless of whether the cop looked at it or not, like Dave said I'll bet the insurance company will appreciate the video, so it worked out for the driver

Quote Originally Posted by tricky View Post
    what the... this **** actually happens? that's unbelievable
    You better believe it does. The original link reminded me of this vid from a few years ago.

In car camera FTW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf8H_...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post
    You better believe it does. The original link reminded me of this vid from a few years ago.

In car camera FTW!

ohh that's just madness

I guess I'll be riding with the helmet cam more often next season.. and first thing I'm doing when I get a cage is putting in a dash cam. I can't believe we have to worry about stuff like this

As more people get dash cams, it should start to make a dent in insurance fraud which should in turn allow the general driving population in the GTA to start seeing insurance prices drop, if one is to believe that our insurance rates are high due to the prevalence of fraud.

Plus of course, would-be victims of fraud won't get hit with an at-fault claim if hey have a dash cam.
    There is no planet B.

In car camera FTW!

I laughed, I cried. Oh Laaawd.
    Current: '04 Suzuki SV650n
    '06 Honda CBR F4i
    '06 Suzuki GS500F: Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Bah, fraud is only piddly little criminal matter, unlike a killer traffic violation. Besides, cops can't generate revenue from criminal acts.
    It may not be quite a fraud, IMO.

We don't know the exact convo between these people, but the Acura guy could easily think that the camera guy rear-ended him. In that case, it becomes a defence of belief. Now, that matters for both the court, and the cop.

Also, police will obviously ignore this incident since there is no damage. If damages combined are under $1500, it is not reported.

Asking for $500 for damages is %100 scam tho.
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Quote Originally Posted by whetaus-tr View Post
    Also, police will obviously ignore this incident since there is no damage. If damages combined are under $1500, it is not reported.
    I thought it was 700$?
    2004 Suzuki DRZ400
    1986 Honda Shadow 750 - Sold

In car camera FTW!

Bahahaha, that's pathetic.

Here's another, although it's not exactly fraud. Looks like the woman was backing up for an open parking spot. Either way, she tried to pin it on the other driver:

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    maybe you can explain how your "not bothering to look at it" is anything other than a refusal. Or is my english really bad too?
    Please, please stop trying to bait an argument. If you want me to clarify my post, that's fine, I'd be glad to. I just returned to these forums a few days ago, I'm not looking to get into arguments with everyone.

What follows is my personal opinion and interpretation: The way BusaBob emphasized the word "refused" inferred he outright just didn't want to look at the video, due to laziness or whatever. A more realistic explanation is the officer realizes that a single video from a consumer dash cam (which is not admissible in court) is useless for a Police investigation and saw no purpose in examining the video.

Again, the proper route to take is to go through the insurance companies and let them take this guy down.

We don't know the exact convo between these people, but the Acura guy could easily think that the camera guy rear-ended him. In that case, it becomes a defence of belief. Now, that matters for both the court, and the cop.

Asking for $500 for damages is %100 scam tho.
    Damage was probably even less than the $500 he asked for. Here's a pic of the accident from the Toronto Subaru Club forums:

Nothing but two scratches from his licence plate bolts.

Asking for $500 for damages is 0 scam tho.
    And this is why the cam guy should have zipped his trap, and wait for the cop, or go to the accident reporting station and let the Acura guy tell his story, then produce the vid and have the guy charged for fraud/scam.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTheCanuck View Post

A more realistic explanation is the officer realizes that a single video from a consumer dash cam (which is not admissible in court) is useless for a Police investigation and saw no purpose in examining the video.

You said something stupid. Maybe you should think about it next time. The poster said the cop refused to look at the video, you have nothing to suggest otherwise but you decide that he is probably wrong cause his first language isn't english? His message under the video shows that he can type sentences and paragraphs just fine. Maybe you elaborate on what the cop would have said that could have possibly given that impression.. hmm...

Maybe you can also elaborate on why that isn't admissible in court.
    Last edited by OpenGambit; 02-12-2012 at 08:40 PM.

And this is why the cam guy should have zipped his trap, and wait for the cop, or go to the accident reporting station and let the Acura guy tell his story, then produce the vid and have the guy charged for fraud/scam.
    But, cops would not show, and collision centre would not file. Plus, nobody can prove whether the acura guy is on purpose claiming that the cam guy is at-fault. Hence, it is a question whether a scam or not. Something to discuss in court, but it won't get anyone a roadside arrest or anything like that.
    2009 Ninja 250r (June, 2011 - present)

Quote Originally Posted by Jinster81 View Post
    This happened in Ontario? Ugh. Better find a way to mount my iphone in my dash.

One cool thought (Just fer laughs) Since Ontario is full of morons behind the wheel. Why not record while driving full time and upload all the crazy moments to Youtube? Millions of views and the police might watch and track down... Just for laughs people, please don't...
    In Ontario, insurance companies figure that scams cost them millions of dollars a year.

As to recording everything....

Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    i read the caption under the video on youtube. apparently, the officer refused to look at the video, citing that it was only a minor traffic accident. that really burns me up. why on earth would he refuse?! how much of his time could it have possibly taken?! the situation had clearly gone beyond a traffic accident and had now entered criminal territory with uttering a false statement, extortion and fraud. why would the officer be so myopic?!

Read this story, which was posted by another member.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...2331019/print/
    Bad Example

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTheCanuck View Post
    Damage was probably even less than the $500 he asked for. Here's a pic of the accident from the Toronto Subaru Club forums:

Nothing but two scratches from his licence plate bolts.
    got a link to that forum? so let me get this straight, the guy rolled his car backwards causing a collision, now the driver posts it on the forum with pics showing the damage that HE caused?

and why would the video not be admissible in court? it's pretty clean cut evidence. same with surveillance cameras and etc.