confusion at the drivetest center?

Thread: confusion at the drivetest center?

confusion at the drivetest center?

today i went to the drivetest center to take my M1 written test. the person at the counter told me to wait a bit longer o take it because the M1 expire after 90 days and i would have to take the M1 exit road test with drivetest.

i know that the M1 expires after 90 days, but what confused me was the fact she told me i HAD to take the exit test with drivetest. i was under the impression that if i took a rider training course like the one at centennial college, and i pass it, i get my M2 when i pass. am i completley wrong or is the person at drivetest on crack?

Re: confusion at the drivetest center?

You can take a course and get your M2.

They should have asked you if you plan on taking an M1 exit course or not. If you say yes the M1 test is only like $17.50 (I think). If you say no then you pay for the M1 test and the M2 road test right then and there. But to answer your question directly, if you take an M1 exit course and pass it the MTO considers it as equvalent to their test and you don't have to take their test.
    2007 Yamaha R6
    2009 Yamaha FZ6R - Sold

When I did it they gave me an envelope that I had to take to MTO, instead of doing the test through the drivetest place.

I'm not sure if they go by the date of the test, or the date that you show up at the MTO.

Probably safest to get both done within the 90 days.
    2000 Honda Shadow ACE 750

I went to the one at Vic Park and Lawrence and the lady at the front desk told me that I could not take the the M1 written test as it was only done during riding season.

I left there confused and called the Ministry of Transportation number, they told me she was wrong... Went back and took the test the next day.

This was mid January... So I have until April to take my M2 test, which is scheduled for the last weekend of March.

When is the start and end of the riding season?
    You can take a m1 test 4 times a year if you wanted to.

She was wrong. People at Drivetest and the licensing offices frequently get things wrong because they deal with very few motorcycles. However, if you don't already have such a rider course scheduled, do that first, THEN take your M1 written test at the appropriate time.
    1996 Kawasaki ZX11D - "When I'm on the road, I'm indestructible. No one can stop me ... but they try."

What Twisted said ^

Book your MSF course first. If you take the M1 written test only to find out all MSF courses over the next 90 days are booked solid (which they very well could be), you're SOL.

I seem to be the only one here to have been on the receiving side of good service from MTO. Knowledgeable, helpful, swift service. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
    I seem to be the only one here to have been on the receiving side of good service from MTO. Knowledgeable, helpful, swift service. Weird.
    I had no issues personally. Went in first thing in the morning and I was sitting down, taking my M1 written test 15 minutes later. After taking my MSF, I forgot to hand in my certificate to get my M2 before my M1 expired (90 days). It had been 92 days and the girl at the counter just laughed and said "that's fine". She printed out my temp M2 and I was on my way.

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedKestrel View Post
    She was wrong. People at Drivetest and the licensing offices frequently get things wrong because they deal with very few motorcycles. However, if you don't already have such a rider course scheduled, do that first, THEN take your M1 written test at the appropriate time.
    +1.

I'm shocked some of the people at drive test are actually competent enough make it in to work lol.
    Service Ontario wasn't stellar either: They completely removed my M2 class license once when I needed a photo renewal. Whether or not they can wipe their ***** properly is TBD.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post

I have had good service from MTO in Trenton, Stouffville (when i went to renew my licence last summer she did my health card too), Uxbridge (is that one still there?) and Kipling and Eglinton (in the plaza just east of there). Drive test in Belleville was good to me, when I wrote my M1 the person behind the desk wrote the day I could come back to hand in the M2 paperwork to avoid confusion and the drive test in peterborough were good to me as well.

that being said, avoid the places that didn't do mto paperwork prior and always double check your info before you leave, typo's happen (one person i know left taller than when she entered... on paper only.
    x