Sat Phones, Personal Locators...etc feedback needed

Thread: Sat Phones, Personal Locators...etc feedback needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Sat Phones, Personal Locators...etc feedback needed

Mac's in Australia. Cell phone service isn't the greatest down there. Rural areas can be VERY isolated, with poor coverage and these guys are always crowding the network: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LbccUVbSRd...with+phone.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
    Mac's in Australia.
    Ah, see, he never mentioned that.
    Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
    '07 H-D Road Glide

Loud Pipes Ruin Rights

Yeah and there are plenty of areas in Ontario and Quebec - James Bay Road for instance
    http://www.jamesbayroad.com/
    where there is no coverage. I've been in many areas in the US and Canada in the twisties that are wonderfully paved and have no cell coverage.

This looks good

••••

That ACRResquLink video was good - straight forward - will do some followup.
    Making sure batteries are full up I would think and the strobe is a good idea. Interesting he mentions Spot as a toy as well.

At $269 that's a decent price tho battery is not user friendly and is expensive to replace- still it also has a very limited "I'm okay" messaged system.

User reviews here worth reading
    http://www.amazon.com/ACR-Electronic.../dp/B0064UE5AG

smaller than a cell phone
    good tip

•••

While I did mention Aus briefly I made it clearer in the original post now linking to the Australian riding where 95% is out of cell range including on-road tho I'm less concerned about that aspect.

I would think anyone who does a lot of solo trips especially in the road less travelled areas might be interested in solutions.
    Certainly for pilots and many sailors this aspect of fall back locator is a no brainer and in some areas mandated.

$269 for a fall back "come find me" button that last a few years on a sealed battery....that's worth considering given the travel I've got planned both mcycle on both sides of the equator and road tripping in the van to East Coast and next year to Alaska
    Last edited by MacDoc; 02-10-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Nice find, the ACRResquLink is something I have been looking for. I read up on spot and many people complain about it. I always wanted some form of SOS for the back country. When you are days away from cell signal this can save a life.

Do you plan on getting a bike when you come back to NA? Alaska on a scooter would be something

Alaska on the Burgman would not be an issue except for the North Slope but a proper dual sport would give access to a lot more areas. It's getting out there is the issue - its both a long ways west and a long ways North
    Calgary to Anchorage is 3500 km by slab

This guy was from Texas and we saw him in Skagway - you can see he has the orange Spot mounted horizontally

can't see if he has an external power feed into it.

Nicely equipped and about he was about my age tho that has to be a heavy load he's got on there.

Ideal way to do Alaska would be to trailer a couple of dual sport bikes there.
    Last edited by MacDoc; 02-10-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    Found a free wifi spot on the popular motorcycle routes local or touring? Add to the list> here

Quote Originally Posted by MacDoc View Post
    Ideal way to do Alaska would be to trailer a couple of dual sport bikes there.
    If I am going to Alaska there is no way in hell I would trailer a couple of bikes there; the whole point is to ride, ride, ride. If the only way I could go was to trailer something, I would stay home and pull out my "Acme home suicide kit" - rather be dead that haul bikes for what should be an epic ride of a lifetime.

Well you are in bit better position to ride to it than us in Eastern Canada and more interesting terrain getting there.
    It's a tricky balance between gear and bike that can go properly in forest trails.
    I'd rather trailer a 400 Suzi dual sport or even the TW Yamaha- see the sights and share them in the main vehicle and then go have fun on a pair of lighter forest bikes.
    This is something GF and I are considering in Australia where the distances are even worse.

TW200 is small enough for her to ride ( she had a 175 Honda way back when ) and we could get two in the back of her extended pickup.

I'd far rather do that than try and cram enough for a month on heavy dual sport.

Even the KLR without gear is a handful and are you really going to take this off road with no support team?

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...01144609PM.jpg

Do recall that a lot of Alaska is not paved and the distances very long. The Alaska Highway alone is 1500+ miles....I hitch hiked 1200 of it when it was dirt.
    Yeah that would be a nice ride on a tourer but all those side roads and forest tracks to explore.....and then there is the Marine Highway to consider as well. You can do the Inside Passage part by ferry part by road.

••

Back on topic the PLBs have just this year been approved for land use in the UK -
    http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/201...for-first-time

so clearly this is an emerging market outside the more traditional aviation and water applications.

Now this seems to have both worlds covered - messaging and distress...$59 subscription covers the messaging I guess....

Product Description

Sarlink 406 gps plb product number: 2883 model number: plb-350 b new features: send im ok messages and gps location maps. Increase the functionality of your plb with optional 406link.com non-emergency messaging service. Head out with confidence. With three levels of integrated signal technology - gps positioning, a powerful 406 mhz signal and 121.5 mhz homing capability - the sarlink quickly and accurately relays your position to a worldwide network of search and rescue satellites, reducing search time and increasing your chances of survival. It?s reliable signaling technology that has saved more than 25,000 lives since 1982. The sarlink broadcasts a unique registered distress signal that not only tells rescuers where you are, but who you are. The onboard gps can fix your position to within 100 meters and then utilizes a powerful 406 mhz signal to relay your distress call to orbiting sar satellites. As local search and rescue is deployed, a separate homing signal and integrated led strobe light guide rescuers to your location. The sarlink is light in weight and small enough to be easily carried in a pack or pocket by skiers, hikers, hunters, kayakers, climbers, pilots, snowmobilers or any other outdoor enthusiast. Performing a full functional self test of the plb?s internal circuitry, battery voltage & power, and 406 mhz transmission gives you the peace of mind knowing your plb will work the moment you need it to the most. Acr exclusive: built-in gps acquisition test mode allows you to test gps functionality up to 12 times over the life of the battery life. Tap in to the same field-tested rescue technology used by the u.s. Military, coast guard, nato special forces and arctic explorers. Features: * no subscription fees * super bright led strobe * on board 66 channel gps * self-test and gps test features * typical performance 35 hours * non-hazmat battery * made in the u.s.a size: 2.25 x 5.88 x 1.29 (5.72 x 14.94 x 3.28 cm) weight: 8.9 oz (258g) with lanyard...
    this looks pretty good -
    http://www.aviationsurvival.com/ACR-...con-_p_32.html
    Last edited by MacDoc; 02-11-2012 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
    If I am going to Alaska there is no way in hell I would trailer a couple of bikes there; the whole point is to ride, ride, ride. If the only way I could go was to trailer something, I would stay home and pull out my "Acme home suicide kit" - rather be dead that haul bikes for what should be an epic ride of a lifetime.

I'm with you. I am riding up to Inuvik by myself this June,the Dempster may be a challenge,but, hell, theres the fun,no? Taking the Canadian way across the country and the Yankee way home,with a couple of detours, the D2D rally,Top of the World Hwy and Fairbanks.

All by my lonesome.....no tracker. No trailer. No offence,though, sorry......
    2002 Hayabusa
    2012 Hayabusa
    2015 Hayabusa